Promoting Picture Books discussion

Do you also have a blog or a website?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gia (new)

Gia Saulnier (giazzpet) | 72 comments Mod
I have found that writing about my book on my blog is an additional way to promote my book.

Do you have a website or a blog featuring your picture books?

message 2: by Jaimi (new)

Jaimi (jaimiilama) | 3 comments I do have a website but it needs a lot of sprucing up! May only concern is how do the readers know about your blog before they know about your books? How do you get them to come to your blog?

message 3: by Gia (new)

My advice is to get on your Social Media networks such as Facebook and Twitter and post some excerpts from your blog. There are apps on Facebook such as Networked Blogs to automatically post your blog posts on your fan page. Another tip is to have the website or blog link on your e mail signatures

message 4: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Grant | 4 comments I agree, Gia. I think that essentially, your blog/website is a destination that you encourage people to visit by publicizing your posts via social media. Of course, once they're on your site, there should be an easy way for them to sign up for your RSS feed so they'll get new info automatically if they want it that way.

message 5: by Gia (new)

Joyce wrote: "I agree, Gia. I think that essentially, your blog/website is a destination that you encourage people to visit by publicizing your posts via social media. Of course, once they're on your site, there..." Yep, and also another tip is to get on other blogs that are similar to yours and make comments along with your blog site. Create topics that make conversations and keep it all G rated!

message 6: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Grant | 4 comments Gia - What's the best way to let people know about your blog, when you're making a comment on someone else's site? Sometimes, even when mentioning my website may be quite relevant to the discussion (ie, "I have an article about that subject posted on my website, ...") it doesn't feel appropriate to mention my own site because I think they'll be questioning my motives. What do you think?

message 7: by Gia (new)

Yeah that is not the best idea. Instead make your comment relevant and say something like "Interesting tidbit, but I also just wrote about x on my blog here www. etc " I think it might be more productive to get your blog featured on a blog hop. I will hopefully be able to do that again soon

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Grant | 4 comments Thanks, Gia.

message 9: by Gia (new)

Sure. what other topics should this group discuss?

message 10: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Grant | 4 comments School visits! Specifically, what do authors find works really well in schools? How big are the groups they prefer, how do they structure their presentations, what tips do they have?

message 11: by Gia (new)

Joyce wrote: "School visits! Specifically, what do authors find works really well in schools? How big are the groups they prefer, how do they structure their presentations, what tips do they have?"
I personally only did one school visit to my son's elementary school (3rd grade) music class. They separated the class by two groups. The kids all had fun, but no books were sold.

message 12: by Naturalbri (Bri (new)

Naturalbri (Bri Wignall) (naturalbri) | 1 comments I'm currently running a giveaway on my blog, consisting of two children's reads prizes:

Prize one: One Copy of The First Hippo on the Moon (UK only)

Prize two: A Stocking Stuffer Prize Pack consisting of s fin selection of kids reading fun (Worldwide)

Please pop over to my blog to have a chance at winning this free book and prize pack:

http://naturalbri-pursuitsoflife.blog...

Thank you!

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Yates (ohsomebody) i have a blog just for ideas i am working on to make a picture book http://figinshortstory.blogspot.co.uk/

message 14: by Ummu (new)

Ummu Shahzeb (ummushahzeb) | 4 comments Hello everyone!

I'm a children's book author from Singapore. Here's my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/babyncapbooks.

Here's my blog: http://ummushahzeb.blogspot.sg/

Happy holidays!

message 15: by Adrienne (last edited Dec 25, 2014 09:39PM) (new)

Adrienne Body | 10 comments Gia wrote: "I have found that writing about my book on my blog is an additional way to promote my book.

Do you have a website or a blog featuring your picture books?"

I have a website for my art and books etc, which is a good way to tell people about books and how to get them etc. getting good search engine hits can be tricky but I think my sirname (Body) doesn't help much with that lol... too many tattoo artists named Adrienne bumping me down the list haha: http://sweetadz.wix.com/the-art-of-adz

as well as a facebook page for my books which is a good way to engage with people and can do giveaways etc tagging people (within reason) in posts and using hashtags increases your reach: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ar...

and I also have one for one of my characters for a bit of fun and extra engagement, not as big a audience as the main FB page, but yeah like I said, it's fun and you can use the character to comment on other pages etc too: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Breakf...

I also have a twitter handle, but haven't had much traffic with that: @AdrienneBody

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Ivan | 1 comments I have a website for my children's book as well as a facebook page. My website is www.kathleenivanchildrensauthor.com. On my website you can find places to buy my book, information about my book, a blog, and a link to my facebook page.

message 17: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) I don't have a blog. It just didn't seem like a good investment of time to me. But I do have a webpage for my book.

I looked at a lot of websites for authors and children's books, and most of them didn't give me any reason to ever want to come back. I decided to build a website that would serve as a resource for my audience.

My book, Catherine's Pascha, is about a little girl celebrating Easter in the Orthodox Church. The website, www.catherinespascha.com, is packed with information about Pascha: why we call the feast "Pascha" instead of "Easter," why it's on a different date than Easter, why our Easter eggs are red (and how to die them), recipes, managing treats for gluten-free kids, and lots and lots of other stuff.

All of this, of course, has taken a lot more time than a blog would take. But I hope that people will find it useful, and will come back to it over and over again. And every time they come back, they have another opportunity to buy my book!

message 18: by H.D. (new)

H.D. Hender | 1 comments No blog, but I do have a website- www.merrymunks.com - which I hope is reasonably functionable and interesting. It's tough to know what would appeal to parents and grandparents of the toddler set, there are so many great options for their picture story book budgets. In terms of advertising- I've found that Google Adsense isn't working well for me. Hundreds of dollars spent in the past 3 months with very little sales resulting from them (less than 5 by my accounting). On the other hand, making short animated videos seems to be generating some interest; I've been trying YouTube advertising for the past week at very low dollar levels ($2.00 per day), and can let this group know the results if anyone is interested. YouTube channels are free to make, and there is some great open-source software for animation and video editing available.

message 19: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) I'd love to know how the YouTube advertising works for you.

message 20: by Gia (new)

Naturalbri (Bri wrote: "I'm currently running a giveaway on my blog, consisting of two children's reads prizes:

Prize one: One Copy of The First Hippo on the Moon (UK only)

Prize two: A Stocking Stuffer Prize Pack consi..."

Nice! I'd enter, but I'm in US :)

message 21: by Richard (new)

Richard Ward (RichardWard) | 2 comments Hello! Richard Ward here. Please do check out my blog. I've covered several topics that you may be interested in. Thanks and have a great day!
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 22: by BC (last edited Jul 20, 2015 04:37PM) (new)

BC Dee (BCDee123) | 5 comments Hi there,

I do have a blog that I would like to share: http://bcd-123.com/

In addition to the blog posts and book pages, I am adding bonus material to accompany my illustrated children's picture books. I made some card games and free, printable cards with the illustrations from The Hiccupopotamus The Hiccupopotamus by B.C. Dee .

Soon I will post instructions for an origami frog and instructions for games with this frog--this accompanies The Celebrated Jumping Frog The Celebrated Jumping Frog by BC Dee .

I also have some informational pages to enhance the two-pages of educational material I put in each book.

I would love some feedback on the site and the free bonus material.

Bryan

message 23: by James (new)

James (abc-book) | 1 comments Hi Everyone,

When we released our fist children's book, we had the idea to make the title global enough to also be a website, so we created Rainy Day Poems.
Rainy Day Poems by James McDonald

Not only do we list our books here, but also have a hoard of poems for kids and stories for kids.

When we release a new book such as
Planting ABC in a Garden of Memory
Planting ABC in a Garden of Memory by James McDonald

We are able to advertise it across the top of all of our pages, hoping that this will help to get it out there a bit more.

James