Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Bitter Trade
This topic is about The Bitter Trade
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Alexander, Piers - The Bitter Trade - Informal Buddy Read; Start February 5, 2015

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of The Bitter Trade by Piers Alexander

Book Synopsis:
The Bitter Trade is a historical adventure set during the Glorious Revolution: Rebellious silk trader Calumny Spinks must become a coffee racketeer and join the conspiracy against the King to save his father’s life.

In 1688, torn by rebellions, England lives under the threat of a Dutch invasion. Redheaded Calumny Spinks is the lowliest man in an Essex backwater: half-French and still unapprenticed at seventeen, yet he dreams of wealth and title.

When his father’s violent past resurfaces, Cal’s desperation leads him to become a coffee racketeer. He has just three months to pay off a blackmailer and save his father’s life - but his ambition and talent for mimicry pull him into a conspiracy against the King himself.

Cal’s journey takes him from the tough life of Huguenot silk weavers to the vicious intrigues at Court. As the illicit trader Benjamin de Corvis and his controlling daughter Emilia pull him into their plots, and his lover Violet Fintry is threatened by impending war, Cal is forced to choose between his conscience and his dream of becoming Mister Calumny Spinks.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14340 comments Mod
sounds good!

message 5: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I might join you for this one! Sounds interesting.

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cool :)
I've read other good historical fiction from the publisher so here's hoping

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oops! I forgot about this. Anyone still intending to read it? should I change the start date?

message 8: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Me too! What about February?

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sure thing. I'll update to early Feb :)

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments February works a lot better for me!

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finally started!

The first 2 chapters I found a little hard going as I get accustomed to the style and the language used (thank goodness for kindle dictionary!).
I'm now up to chapter 10 and I'm finding I'm getting quite into it. The characters are all just so awful and I'm hoping Cal gets a break. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

OK, I finished. Overall I liked it, but I found the fact that every female is a whore and every male is a blaggard a little tiresome by the end. I'll be interested in your thoughts if you guys end up reading it

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Bitter Trade (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Piers Alexander (other topics)