What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. fant: short: wanna-be mob guy sent to burn down a building... but... [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Jun 24, 2015 12:43AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments SOLVED: "Vince's Dragon" (info) by Ben Bova

I'm pretty sure I read this in a collection of (view spoiler) stories. I mean, there's only several thousand of those, right? :P

---

The mob wants a building burned down, so they can collect the insurance money. Unfortunately their favorite arsonist, and several other guys they've sent to do the job have disappeared.

So, they tap one of the wanna-bes, and tell him: Here's your chance to get into the mob.

He goes to the building, is nervous as hell and is fumbling around with matches and gasoline when he hears a (telepathic?) voice... (view spoiler) tell him, "You shouldn't use gas, fire investigators know what that looks like. Besides, I live here."

He makes friends (he's good-looking), and convinces his new friend to burn down the building. Because his new friend knows how to not leave traces for the fire investigators (heh).

Anyways, he becomes the go-to guy for difficult arson in the Mob. He also starts moving his way up the hierarchy, when his rivals (and bosses) mysteriously disappear. (view spoiler).

Until one day... when he's the Godfather, has hot wife, sexy mistress, several kids, a pot-belly, balding on top, smoking stinky cigars, and has grown complacent... a voice says: (view spoiler)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments *bump*

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments *v-d bump*

Hope you're having a lovely day :D

message 5: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments I've read this, and for the life of me I thought it was Thomas Monteleone, but I can't seem to find it again.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments This story is out there, somewhere. And now we know it's not just a mashup or strange-dream of mine :D

*bump*

message 10: by Gbolahan (new)

Gbolahan (halosbane-kitchenstaffpikin) | 146 comments This story sounds amazing! I didn't read any of the spoilers cos I'm hoping I'll get to read it myself!
Self-serving *bump*!

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Meh, I shoulda spoilered something in that first line. I shall correct it.

It's a pretty good story. I wish I could lay my hands on it.

message 12: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Found it for you. Vince's Dragon by Ben Bova. Escape plus has it

message 13: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Jun 24, 2015 12:41AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments I actually have it in _Future Crime_

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg...

Thanks!

message 14: by Gbolahan (new)

Gbolahan (halosbane-kitchenstaffpikin) | 146 comments Ha ha ha ha ha ha...! Bova is hilarious! My first time reading him.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just now read Vince's Dragon from Escape Plus (waiting for an interview, wish me luck...!).
Thank you D.M.! Thank you Justanotherbiblophile!

message 15: by Gbolahan (new)

Gbolahan (halosbane-kitchenstaffpikin) | 146 comments I actually thought that Vince was being groomed to be (view spoiler), but, still the story ended well...☺

message 16: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Future Crime by Ben Bova for the link.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Future Crime (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ben Bova (other topics)