Ilona Andrews Fans discussion

Kate Daniels: The Characters > Roland*spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by TWiser (new)

TWiser This is for the up to date KD reader. There will be spoilers up to and threw the latest book.

message 2: by TWiser (new)

TWiser Does anyone elsed think Roland was just too nice and was really into Kate and Curran having kids? I think he's looking to snatch or the very lease influence a kid with his blood ties and ties to the land they're on now... Just a thought.

message 3: by Aarati (new)

Aarati | 9 comments I agree. Roland was waaaay too sweet. This post came at the perfect time, since I'm doing a re-read of Magic Breaks and have just finished reading Kate's meeting with Roland in Jester Park. I saw Ilona Andrews' answer on the kid part though (view spoiler)

message 4: by Candice (new)

Candice Luk | 5 comments I think he is interested in seeing what kind of power level his grand kid will have. With Kate and Curran powera combined, potential kids may be a genuine threat. Keep your enimies close right

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 3 comments I like him acting sweet. From previous descriptions of him from people who know him, we know he's charismatic and sentimental and wants to make the world a better place, he's just entirely ruthless and amoral about it and doesn't care that most of the world don't want the better vision he has planned.

If he were obviously mustache-twirling evil, then that would make him less interesting and less likely to develop the sort of devoted following that we know he has. I like him as the sort of evil that can be wise and fascinated by his child and potential grandchildren, but who tortures and manipulates his them at the same time to serve his own ends.

Plus, he's many thousands of years old. I imagine most things are boringly easy for him, and no one has as much potential entertainment value as his own family. And Erra said that he kept having kids, so we know he wants a family, and when they ended up disappointments, she always had to kill them because he was too sentimental to do it. I think him being into Kate's family is of a piece with what we knew of him.

message 6: by TWiser (new)

TWiser Aarati-that's what I wa doing too ;-)
Idk if Roland is "evil" just a conniving plotter of self satifaction. People are tools, even if they're family.

message 7: by Shelita (last edited Dec 13, 2014 01:48PM) (new)

Shelita | 6 comments Cathy wrote: "I like him acting sweet. From previous descriptions of him from people who know him, we know he's charismatic and sentimental and wants to make the world a better place, he's just entirely ruthless..."

I haven't read book 7 yet, but is Roland evil? Please tell me. I really don't want him to be. And When I say evil I mean, "I kill my children because I don't want them to be more powerful than me. EVER!!! evil.
And so far I think Kate is being a bit hasty with her wanting to kill Roland and using the excuse that he killed my mom. 1.) Roland's sister kinda explained that Kate's mother was just a fish to him, don't make his crimes bigger than they are. And I mean if my having children was like releasing a plague to myself and the earth, I would be a bit hesitant to have more too. It's not like he's a serial child rapist, cannibal man. 2.) Kate has no memory of her mother, like Hugh said in Magic Rises it's just a pity party. To me her "vengeance" has no real grounds.

That's just what I think after having read books 1-6.

message 8: by Tèo (new)

Tèo Sip | 4 comments Shelita wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I like him acting sweet. From previous descriptions of him from people who know him, we know he's charismatic and sentimental and wants to make the world a better place, he's just en..."
then you should read book 7 in which Kate refused to kill Roland just because a dead man (Voron) told her to

message 9: by Mariya (last edited Feb 12, 2015 08:24AM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 169 comments Mod
Shelita wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I like him acting sweet. From previous descriptions of him from people who know him, we know he's charismatic and sentimental and wants to make the world a better place, he's just en..."

I think Kate has a right to want to kill Roland. To me those aren't just excuses. If I were her I would want to kill him for taking my mother away and taking my childhood away. Kate was basically raised to kill anything and everything and not to trust anybody, never knew of a mother love, Voron never even gave her a father's love, not really, even though she clings to that. And plus, all that is said about Roland is he is basically evil, so I don't really blame her. But I really think you should read the 7th book, he isn't in there a lot, but he makes his appearance and it's interesting to see where the author's decided to take the plot with Roland. We don't really know what he is up to or what is agenda is. And like Teo said, Kate wouldn't kill him just b/c a dead man said so. And I believe Kate isn't strong enough to accommplish that right now anyways. I believe if he makes a move on those she loves Kate wouldn't hestitate to try and kill him even if she wouldn't win at this point though. But anyway, interesting to learn more about Roland to see what his end game is.