Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)
This topic is about Dead in the Family
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Harris, Charlaine - Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse #10)- Informal Buddy Read - Start Date November 7, 2014

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 06, 2014 08:35PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod

It's all about family ...

Sookie Stackhouse is dealing with a whole host of family problems, ranging from her own kin (a non-human fairy and a telepathic second cousin) demanding a place in her life, to her lover Eric's vampire sire, an ancient being who arrives with Eric's 'brother' in tow at a most inopportune moment. And Sookie's tracking down a distant relation of her ailing neighbour (and ex), Vampire Bill Compton.

In addition to the multitude of family issues complicating her life, the werewolf pack of Shreveport has asked Sookie for a special favour, and since Sookie is an obliging young woman, she agrees. But this favour for the wolves has dire results for Sookie, who is still recovering from the trauma of her abduction during the Fairy War.
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

What is a buddy read?

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Drats! I'm only on book 8.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Drats! I'm only on book 8."

Catch up then join us when you can :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Okay I will try. I have a bunch of BRs going on right now.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments The books seem like they're getting darker, or at least Sookie is getting a darker attitude. Though I don't blame her with what her life has been.

message 7: by Kelly (last edited Nov 08, 2014 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Beginning - Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

message 8: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Nov 08, 2014 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm reading the 8th book, From Dead to Worse, catching up for the BR. I'm in chapter 4, (view spoiler)

I will catch up soon! I will!

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Did you guys want me to set up buddy reads for the next book too?

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Chapter 3-4
(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Okay, update. I finished book 8 and will start book 9 so that I can join for book 10 for this discussion. :) I'm getting there.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Okay, update. I finished book 8 and will start book 9 so that I can join for book 10 for this discussion. :) I'm getting there."

Speed reader! :) I feel like I should put that to the tune of speed racer.

Here she comes
Here comes Speed Reader
She's a demon on books
She's a demon and she's gonna be chasin' after someone

eih maybe heh

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Lol. That's funny. I said I'd try to get to the discussion. :P Book 9 will have to wait for a little since now The Lies of Locke Lamora is of high importance. I have DQs due in 3 hours. :O Gotta get with it!

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Chapter 5-8
(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm catching up. I'm at the 25% mark in the 9th book. I'm getting there Kelly then I can read your spoilers.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Neat

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments I was surprised about the long prologue type thing before I even got to chapter 1.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Chapter 9-11
(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I am almost finished with book 9 and will start the 10th today. :)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Sadie wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I was surprised about the long prologue type thing before I even got to chapter 1."

I thought maybe it was going to go by weeks/months instead of chapters. Once I hit chapter one, I ..."

Heh I had the same feeling.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Are you guys interested in doing the rest of the books as well?

#11 Dead Reckoning is due back for me tomorrow so I'll be reading that one real fast :)

#12 Deadlocked is due back in 16 days but seems to have a lot of copies so I could probably renew.

#13 Dead Ever After I'm 28th in the waiting list with 8 copies so 2 months maybe?

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I would like it. Looks good for the next 3 books.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments That's fine Sadie. I'll have a large gap between 12 and 13 anyway and I can come back and discuss with you :)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Chapter 12-14(end)
(view spoiler)

Additional Interesting information on Alexei
(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Oh goodness Kelly I have to catch up with you. I haven't started it yet. I will read some today.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Don't worry :) We can still talk as you read.

Going to go set up the threads for the rest of the series. Will be good to actually complete a series, I feel like I just keep starting new ones.

message 27: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Sookie Stackhouse
#10 - Dead in the Family November 7 2014
#11 - Dead Reckoning November 10 2014
#12 - Deadlocked November 24 2014
#13 - Dead Ever After January 15 2015

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I signed up for them. :)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments phew. Got them all done. Now I have to frantically read #11 heh.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Sadie wrote: "I don't know how I got thru 16% of the book already and I just got to chapter two."

Wow, I'm surprised at how long that was. Just now am I getting to Chapter One.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Kelly wrote: "Chapter 3-4"

(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Kelly wrote: "Chapter 5-8."

(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Also, I'm a little over half way through the book. :) I'm hoping to catch up and start on book 11.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments I haven't kept up with the TV show but googling stuff provides interesting images.

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments I finished Deadlocked only recently so am definitely keen to join in when you guys get to Dead Ever After as I've been wanting to finally finish this series for ages!

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Awesome. We have that one scheduled in January. I still have a long way to go on my waitlist at the library. 28th with 8 copies available.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments You also can read it early (or earlier) and just leave your comments then come back and talk with us when we catch up. That's what I've been doing since we're all on different library/reading schedules.

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments Kelly wrote: "You also can read it early (or earlier) and just leave your comments then come back and talk with us when we catch up. That's what I've been doing since we're all on different library/reading sched..."

That's ok, I'm happy to wait until you all get to it. I've got a few other books to get out of the way first :-)