Victorians! discussion

Buddy Reads > The Prime Minister. Ch. 61-80

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Renee M | 1861 comments Mod
Nov. 29 - Dec. 5

message 2: by Bharathi (new)

Bharathi (bharathi14) | 158 comments Ferdinand Lopez has turned out to be an outand out villain. Poor Emily. But I think she is taking obedience a bit too far. I wonder if it is Victorian. If it is then again Trollope is showing another way women are treated badly. After reading quite a bit of Trollope tbis year, I think he thinks about the different aspects of women's indignities.
I seriously think that Violet Effingham/Lady Glen is based on someone he knew.

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2014 06:56PM) (new)

Yes! Trollope does seem amazingly attuned to women for a Victorian guy. His portrayal of different kinds of relationships is so realistic and speaks of someone who pays air if attention to things

The Omniums are brilliant, even in their distresses. And the scene between the Fletcher brothers in chapter 33 about killed me.

message 4: by Bharathi (new)

Bharathi (bharathi14) | 158 comments I loved the scene too. Somehow Trollope's characters are able to be nice and manly without being sentimental.

Lizzie Eustace again qith yet another villain. How she does manage to know all the wrong sorts.

message 5: by Bharathi (new)

Bharathi (bharathi14) | 158 comments Lizzie knows even Quintus Slide. Slope and Slide. Trollope does enjoy punning with his names.

message 6: by Bharathi (new)

Bharathi (bharathi14) | 158 comments Emily Lopez acts very much like Alice Vavasor. As you said Arthur Fletcher has shades of John Grey.

message 7: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Shades of John Grey. Very clever! ;-)

message 8: by Bharathi (new)

Bharathi (bharathi14) | 158 comments the shades comment was unintentional.
I just finished reading the book. Every thing was tied up. Good guys were rewarded and the bad guys were suitably treated. This was not one of his best, though much better than Eustace Diamonds. The Oxford edition that I read has an introduction by a Trollopian. He says that it was not as popular as Phineas Redux. He thinks it was because of a weak plot. I suppose so. The British political system becomes more clear. One of my favorite conversations is that between Lady Glen and Emily Lopez where Lady G with her characteristic with says that political enemies can be best friends and sometimes political friends can be intolerable.

Though Lady G is not what she was in CYFH, there is no disliking her. I am curious if Trollope will round off with all the characters in his final novel. He gave something similar in tbe Barset series.

message 9: by Renee, Moderator (new)

I'm finding the last 20 chapters to be tedious. I thought the rest of the book flew. I hung on the doings of Ferdinand Lopez. I was delighted by the layers between the Omniums. I was fascinated by the political intrigues and the machinations of the odious Quintus Slide.

I certainly hope Trollope will tie it all up nicely. I've still got 13 chapters to go, so there's hope.

message 10: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Finished!
Wow was that a good read!
I was thinking the last 20 chapters we're slow compared to all the Ferdinand Lopez ruckus, but now that I'm done, I see how rich the last quarter turned out to be. Excellent job, Anthony Trollope!

Okay, I did want to slap Emily a couple of times. But, I can see how she got kinda warped by her marriage. To be so subjugated to such a rotter would probably knock the stiffing out of almost anyone.

message 11: by Bharathi (new)

Bharathi (bharathi14) | 158 comments I thought the same way about Emily. I liked the way Arthur Fletcher got her to accept his proposal too. That was when he was most like John Grey. Some women seem to need a little prodding I suppose.