The Book Vipers discussion

Letters from Father Christmas
This topic is about Letters from Father Christmas
Group Read Archive > Non-Fiction Group Read - Letters from Father Christmas - December 2014 - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
The discussion thread is now open. No spoilers on this one, please.

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments now ordered from the library :D

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments Picked this up yesterday, got some lovely pictures of Tolkein's artwork in it. Will have to spread this out over the countdown to Christmas, get me in the festive mood :)

Sarah | 34 comments Really excited about this, I have ordered it and waiting for it to arrive!!

Sarah | 34 comments It's arrived and it looks like a beautiful book. So excited, I had to flick through a few pages, but I only read the first letter, I promise! Am hiding it away until 1st Dec so I'm not tempted to read any more...

I found a copy on my eldest daughters bookshelf!

Cathy | 553 comments Started this yesterday and was planning to read a couple of letters a day up till Christmas, but it is such a lovely read that I'm halfway through already. The pictures are gorgeous. Looking forward to the final Hobbit movie and last weekend we watched the first one again to get in the mood, so feeling very middle-earthish at the moment! One day I'd love to reread The Lord of the Rings, if I ever get the time.

Sarah | 34 comments I'm sharing this with my class (of 11 year olds, 70% boys) and they're absolutely loving it, as am I. The letters and drawings are beautiful and they are now writing their own letter from Father Christmas for their loved ones...

Started at lunch time today. It is so well done, with both the fine drawings and the way the stories link from year to year.

Really good idea Sarah. And it will bring Tolkien to a wider audience too

message 10: by Serf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Serf | 100 comments Got my copy today. Looking forward to this

Sandy | 458 comments I like your idea Sarah. I'm going to look at this again- I read it too early. The way Tolkien expanded on the story from year to year, and tailored it to his children's increasing age was great.

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments Just started these, very sweet so far.

message 13: by Serf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Serf | 100 comments Read this at the start of December, really loved it. Have passed it on to many friends since