The Book Vipers discussion

Brighton Rock
This topic is about Brighton Rock
Group Read Archive > Classics Group Read (post 1900)- Brighton Rock - December 2014 - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5457 comments Mod
Spoilers are allowed in this thread. Please unselect 'Add to my update feed' so other don't see your comments.
Things to consider:
1. Did you like the book?
2. Did you like or dislike the main characters?
3. Do the characters develop?
4. What did you think of the plot and the ending of the story?
5. Do you have any particular favourite quotes or scenes?
6. Would you read anything else by this author?

Pamela (bibliohound) | 358 comments Just finished this - first read it about 30 years ago and have really enjoyed the re-read. The characters are not likeable, but they are fascinating and compelling. The plot is gripping, the ending is bleak but realistic, a satisfying end to what has gone before. I particularly liked the contrast between the scenes with Spicer, Cubitt etc and the ones with Rose, and how they showed the different aspects of Pinkie's character.

I loved Graham Greene's books when I read them as a teenager, and I would like to revisit some of them.

Pink I'm currently reading (bit late) only 3 chapters in, with 5 to go, but I'm really enjoying the writing style especially.

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments 1: I enjoyed the tension of the first third, especially the "chase" scenes. I thought they were very well written. I only gave it a 3, I suspect that I am a tough critic of classics . I expect to be blown away , I also felt mind wandering in the middle

2 I liked Ida, a gutsy woman not to be put off. You can't like pinkie! Rose irritated me, she was so wet.

3 I thought the characters were well written, I would liked to have known more about Pinkie.

4 A great plot, the ending was as I expected. It did lack pace in the middle.

5 I loved the first and last lines,

"Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours, that they meant to murder him." - it grabbed me straight away

"She walked rapidly in the thin June sunlight towards the worst horror of all."

A less subtle author would have written a huge dramatic scene in which she listens to the recording and finds out what he really thought of her. Instead we are left to imagine

6 I will definitely read more Graham Greene.

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments I hadn't come across Graham Greene before. I enjoyed the pace of the book and despite the grizzly topic, it never got too graphic with the descriptions of the violence. Maybe this is due to the era the novel was written, or maybe this is just Greene's style. It allowed your imagination to come into play. The characters weren't particularly likeable and Pinkie was some sort of sociopath, so it was difficult to understand Rose taking up with him. I didn't think he put up a good pretence of being in love with her and how they went from lets get married to a suicide pact was a little bizarre. Didn't quite believe that part. So a good read but not fully convinced!