The Book Vipers discussion

The Age of Miracles
This topic is about The Age of Miracles
Group Read Archive > Group Fiction Read - The Age of Miracles - December 2014 - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
Spoilers are allowed in this thread. Please unselect 'Add to my update feed' so other don't see your comments.
Things to consider:
1. Did you like the book?
2. Did you like or dislike the main characters?
3. Do the characters develop?
4. What did you think of the plot and the ending of the story?
5. Do you have any particular favourite quotes or scenes?
6. Would you read anything else by this author?

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments 1) I liked the book, although it was a "nice" book not a great book. I think my 13 year old daughter would enjoy it more. I would certainly prefer for her to read this rather than "Fault in our stars"

2) I wanted to like her father, he seemed like a wannabe free spirit, stifled by his wife. But when I discovered the affair he just became seedy. The mother frustrated me, constantly being negative. It is hard not to like the narrator of a story although I do not think that Julia was well developed as a character.

3) I think this is a weakness of the book. The characters are a not particularly well developed.

4) I liked the premise of the world slowing down, this could have been quite philosophical. However this was never explored fully. This was really a coming of age novel with a heavy does of environmental preaching.

5) The scene in which the grandad died was touching .

6) I would not go out of my way to read anything by the author again but will pass this on to my daughter.

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments Feel similarly to Nikki, i enjoyed the read but wasn't bowled over by it. A fantastic premise and for it being a young adult book, it was explored well. Any deeper and it would have lost the appeal to its intended audience. I liked most of the characters but had issue with the authors portrayal of the beginning of sexual awakening in the kids. The girl was only eleven and i think the author was seriously confusing 11 for 13. This did annoy me. I am a teacher, so have quite a realistic view of what pre-teens and teens are like, the whole spectrum of those that are quite innocent & protected compared with those who are aware of things, and I felt like the author go it wrong.

The bit that particularly bugged me was Michaela..pg 57 how she was developing a different set of skills, skin, hair, cigarettes etc...'a girl wasn't born knowing how to give a hand job'. Just think this was pitched wrong. They were 11!! Just bugs me!!

The only other issue I had with it was that it went into such detail following the slowing through one school year, and the epilogue was so so short. Just jumped to her being 23, and half of the epilogue was about a capsule being sent into space about life on earth. I would have enjoyed a longer description of what life was life a decade down the line living in this way.

So an enjoyable read, but pitched a little wrong for me!

message 4: by Helen (last edited Dec 29, 2014 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Helen French (helenfrench) | 52 comments Finished this today and it's very accessible but... Blah. Struck me, maybe unfairly, as one of those books that thinks it's too good to be science fiction (hence looking like a contemporary fiction book in the marketing) when actually it's probably not marketed like SF because that bit just isn't strong enough. As soon as the first sunrise was late alarm bells would go! It wouldn't take any time (ha ha) for people to realise.

I felt she used the MC being 11 as an excuse not to explain anything - I couldn't suspend disbelief that scientists etc wouldn't be doing more. I didn't care that much about what random girls were doing (and agree they didn't act their age).

I don't know, in some ways I feel like it should have been a good book because it was easy to read and had great ideas, but it fell flat to me.

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments Like your point about not being good enough to be science fiction! Have to agree with you there!

Finished it a day or so ago, and have only got around to writing a review. It's here

Thought it was ok. nicely written but utterly implausible. I had no problem with the characters, there were not complex, or challenging at all. Julia did develop as the book progressed, but not by much.

The ending was ok. Even though you knew the majority of humanity was doomed, there was something that maybe might be found by survivors in years to come.

Helen French (helenfrench) | 52 comments Interestingly I've just read Station Eleven which is another literary/contemporary book about an apocalypse and it's absolutely excellent. Goes to show you don't have to write hard sci fi to write it well. I'd recommend it for this group if there's interest. It's like a more positive version of The Road! Sorry to talk so much about another book but it was because I just happened to read them side by side.

I have got that from the library to read too Helen. Not sure I will get to it in January, but you never know.