The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

-Cry Cry-

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emily I finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak today for the second time for a book club.
I cried for the last fifteen minutes of reading it. And now I have a headache, but it's worth it.
This book had some minor cursing in it, but it's a brilliant book.
I also really like the unique choice in narration, it brought the book into a new light.
Now that I've finished it, I feel this emptiness of a "What do I do now?"
I guess good books do that to you.

Opinions?

Derek Definitely emotional, I finished the last 100 pages while on a plane! There were several times, I had to stop reading to compose myself during the trip, but completely worth it. Fantastic book.

Selma Couldn't agree more! Love the way Zusak writes and the choice of narrator is something I have never seen before.. it made the story extra interesting and intriguing, and most of all honest, coming from a sort of "neutral" point of view). Really, really loved this book.

chloe I totally agree - this is a fantastic book! The author's choice of narration is really unique, and really added a great element to story. And it's definitely very emotional, especially the end.

Derek After reading the book, did you start looking at the colors in the sky more closely?

Emily Selma wrote: "Couldn't agree more! Love the way Zusak writes and the choice of narrator is something I have never seen before.. it made the story extra interesting and intriguing, and most of all honest, coming ..."

The "neutral" POV was something I talked about with my book club. It was nice, because though Leisel was the main character, you saw what was going on around her and before her time and all that, BECASUE of the narrator.

Emily Derek wrote: "After reading the book, did you start looking at the colors in the sky more closely?"

I did, but I didn't notice 'till now!

message 8: by Jaksen (last edited Nov 11, 2014 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaksen The narrator in The Book Thief is Death.

It's been done before in other books, but not so easy to pull off.

Norma I finished it 2 days ago and I agree, it was very emotional. This one will stay with me for a long time.

message 10: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Emily wrote: "I finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak today for the second time for a book club.
I cried for the last fifteen minutes of reading it. And now I have a headache, but it's worth it.
This..."

The first time I read this book, it was by audiobook. I was in the car when finishing it. I cried for about the last hour and got so emotional that I briefly got lost! The next year we read the book for book club. A great book for discussion.

Kathryn Everytime I read this book I can't control myself. That's why I'll only read it at home. This is not a good commuter book!

Emily Kathryn wrote: "Everytime I read this book I can't control myself. That's why I'll only read it at home. This is not a good commuter book!"

I know right!
I had to *try* to compose myself while reading it in front of my family.

Johnny Williams Well I think compelling, deep and thoughtful are adjectives that come to mind for the book itself--- but for feelings I think resilience defines the characters and a quiet introspection of myself focusing of would or might have I reacted if faced with the trials and tribulations that they faced and what effect would it have had on my character

Lillian This is such an amazing book! Yes, I sob hystericaly every time I read it. But I love it so much. Using Death as the narrator was such a great touch.

Eliza Yes, this is an amazing book and it's one of the best I have ever read. I sobbed so hard when reading it I had to take a break from it for a while before reading it again.

Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas) I don't cry at books, but that scene where Max and Liesel met on the road to the camp...that almost got me. Almost.

I thought having Death as the narrator was genius.

Annahabermel I have read this book several times and each time I cry. The writing, I find is so descriptive and there are moments of such pathos - when Max draws a string to the sun on the cellar wall, when Leisls mom goes to the school to tell her in her own way that Max is ok. But the one moment that finishes me is when the son of the woman who spits on the doorsteps hangs himself!
The best book ever.

message 18: by TheBohemianBookworm (last edited Nov 25, 2014 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TheBohemianBookworm I was crying my eyes out. I was sobbing when I put it down. I don't think I have cried that hard in a book in my whole life.

Annahabermel the movie, however, leaves out so much. No comparison.

Emily I liked the movie. I did leave out a lot, but I liked.I usually don't like book based movies, but I liked this one for reasons I can't explain. I think the actors perfectly portrayed their characters.

Emily Hannah wrote: "I was crying my eyes out. I was sobbing when I put it down. I don't think I have cried that hard in a book in my whole life."

Same here

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh man, I cried like a maniac!

Alana H YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!! THIS BOOK EMOTIONALLY DAMAGED ME!!! *Sobs uncontrollably*

****Kelly***** Stella wrote: "YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!! THIS BOOK EMOTIONALLY DAMAGED ME!!! *Sobs uncontrollably*"

*sigh* I totally agree. I will never be the same.

message 25: by Aadivah (last edited Feb 07, 2015 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aadivah I borrowed my fiends copy to read this and that book will forever have our tear-stains in it, and the tear-stains of whoever else she lends her book to. This was my first historical fiction and I can't say I regret picking it up. I just LOVED this book. R.I.P Rudy.

****Kelly***** rudy was the best!!!! *sob*

Emily Aadivah wrote: "I borrowed my fiends copy to read this and that book will forever have our tear-stains in it, and the tear-stains of whoever else she lends her book to. This was my first historical fiction and I c..."

It was my first historical fiction of the sort. I would recommend Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Septys. It was around that time, and if you liked The Book Thief, you'll really enjoy Between Shades of Gray. It's aaother tear-jerker.

****Kelly***** Emily wrote: "Aadivah wrote: "I borrowed my fiends copy to read this and that book will forever have our tear-stains in it, and the tear-stains of whoever else she lends her book to. This was my first historical..."

oh i totally agree. hey everyone! if you want to cry even more, try Between Shades of Grey (not 50 Shades of Grey). Nearly everyone dies in it. just warning you.

Emily //laugh// Not EVERYONE. Not the MAIN MAIN characters. I cried tons in this book. Five stars.

Emily Emily wrote: "//laugh// Not EVERYONE. Not the MAIN MAIN characters. I cried tons in this book. Five stars."

Meaning Between Shades of Gray

Cheryl L I CRIED SO MUCH

Aadivah Emily wrote: "//laugh// Not EVERYONE. Not the MAIN MAIN characters. I cried tons in this book. Five stars."

I will definitely check it out.