MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

General Chat > Where we talk about FOOD

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Food. I loves it.

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (last edited Nov 06, 2014 10:45AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments How trife would it be of me to make this this weekend? And should I just avoid this thing that is CLEARLY meant to be eaten with red wine???!

And what kind of chip to suggest?

Grilled Brie with Grilled Corn and Mango Salsa
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2014/09/...

description

message 3: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1150 comments White corn tortilla chips. Definitely.

And send me some, please. :D

message 4: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments Food?!?! Where?!?!?

I would think Brie would be more suited to a white wine.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "Food?!?! Where?!?!?

I would think Brie would be more suited to a white wine."

Really? Please give me a few suggestions! I'm not good with whites at all. Unless its Riesling.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "White corn tortilla chips. Definitely.

And send me some, please. :D"

:-D Coming up!

I just stopped by the Amish market...so fresh! so delish! Still have to get a few more things but... This is going to be epic.

message 7: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1150 comments Oooh I miss going to the Amish markets up in Pennsylvania. Some of the best honey, jams, jellies and sauces I've ever tasted came from there.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I decided to tell paleo to take a hike this weekend, lol.

Bought fried chicken and baby back ribs at the Amish Market (so good!).

You should never go to grocery store while hungry. Bad (but delicious) things happen.

message 9: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments I am a wine idiot, so I trust the Interwebs: The Serious Eats Cheese and Wine Pairing Cheat Sheet. Looks like Riesling is a good option or a Chardonnay which I would have chosen given my limited knowledge.

message 10: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1150 comments Riesling goes with anything. At least, anything I eat. :D Love Rieslings.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "I am a wine idiot, so I trust the Interwebs: The Serious Eats Cheese and Wine Pairing Cheat Sheet. Looks like Riesling is a good option or a Chardonnay which I would have chosen given my limited kn..."

Yaaay Riesling!

I'll get a bottle of my fave on the way home. :-D

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "Riesling goes with anything. At least, anything I eat. :D Love Rieslings."

^

I love this gal. ;-) A woman after my own heart.

message 13: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1150 comments Awwwwww. **wine bonding**

message 14: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments Christa wrote: "Riesling goes with anything. At least, anything I eat. :D Love Rieslings."

That's either attributable to a very adaptive wine or some other problem. :)

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments :-D

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Didn't even make the salsa last night - too busy shoveling ribs in my mouth.

get in my belly!

message 17: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1150 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "
That's either attributable to a very adaptive wine or some other problem. :)"

Doesn't matter which - it's still true. :D

MrsJoseph wrote: "Didn't even make the salsa last night - too busy shoveling ribs in my mouth.

get in my belly!"

*snort* That made me laugh hard enough to jeopardize the cup of coffee I was holding. :D

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments :-D

But be careful! Coffee is precious.

message 19: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I forgot to tell yall!

I made that salsa. OMG. It was soooo freaking delicious. So delicious. I didn't have any fresh corn due to me being stupid so I toasted some frozen corn instead.

The cheese was delish but I didn't even need it. I want to eat the whole thing with a spoon and no chips. :)

message 20: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1150 comments Um, you didn't send me any. This will not be forgotton. :(

:D

(Funny how a joking threat came out sounding pouty.)

I've had pretty good luck subbing frozen corn for fresh, as long as it is good quality and hasn't been in my freezer for a year or two. Maybe it's because corn has so much natural sugar in it, it can maintain a lot of its awesomeness even when frozen.

But... Something that doesn't need cheese? I'm not sure about this. Sounds like heresy to me... :D

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Christa wrote: "Um, you didn't send me any. This will not be forgotton. :(

:D

(Funny how a joking threat came out sounding pouty.)

I've had pretty good luck subbing frozen corn for fresh, as long as it is good ..."

next time we should make a party out of it!

I know! I was shocked...but it was just plain delicious. Yum!

message 22: by Bianca (new)

Bianca van Willigenburg (biancavw) | 1448 comments I'm making a second round of gingerbread cookies at the moment. I've added a bit more of the spice mix than the directions of the recipe. On Tuesday I made my first batch and I think it would be even nicer with a bit more spices.

message 23: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1150 comments Mmmm gingerbread cookies sound delicious! I'm not a big cookie fan most of the year, but around the holiday season I start craving them. :)

message 24: by Bianca (new)

Bianca van Willigenburg (biancavw) | 1448 comments In the Netherlands we have our own version of gingerbread cookies, speculaas cookies. It used to be that they were only available during the colder months, but now you can get them throughout the year. Which is a shame IMHO, they aren't special anymore.

The extra spoon of spices did indeed make the cookies even better, if I say so myself.

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Bianca wrote: "I'm making a second round of gingerbread cookies at the moment. I've added a bit more of the spice mix than the directions of the recipe. On Tuesday I made my first batch and I think it would be ev..."

Ooooh! That sounds SO GOOD.

so good

message 26: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I'm working on my Thanksgiving dinner recipes.

I always make dinner - even though we always go to someone's house. I like Thanksgiving and Christmas leftovers. :-D

This is the plan I have so far - not sure if its good enough but I want to make sure I can get crazy for Christmas:

Turkey
Gravey
Stuffing
Mac & Cheese
Collard greens
String beans
Apple pie
Sweet potato pie
Butter rum cake
Chocolate lava cakes (8)
Ice cream
Butternut Squash Soup

message 27: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments You've got Butternut Squash Soup and Mac & Cheese. I'm good. :)

message 28: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "You've got Butternut Squash Soup and Mac & Cheese. I'm good. :)"

:-D

I'm not doing the chocolate lava cakes now - hubby think it won't work due to the kind of cake. I'm switching it out for candied yams.

message 29: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments I always need Turkey, Newfoundland-style dressing, and cranberries to make sandwiches after. I also really like making mashed turnips with butter and brown sugar.

message 30: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "I always need Turkey, Newfoundland-style dressing, and cranberries to make sandwiches after. I also really like making mashed turnips with butter and brown sugar."

Newfoundland-style dressing? What is this? Intrigued, I am.

I've never had mashed turnips. In fact, I think I've only had turnips like once in my life and they were in a potpie. What do they taste like?

message 31: by HomeInMyShoes (last edited Nov 25, 2014 11:06AM) (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments Like a parsnip or very mild carrot. A good root vegetable and a good way to serve them. Chop'em up, boil then mash with brown sugar and butter and some salt if unsalted or a bit to taste. Easy and tasty and a nice switch from the usual potatoes and carrots.

Newfoundland dressing is just a simple kind of stuffing you make on the stovetop. You basically sauté some very finely diced onion in butter and then dump in bread crumbs (on the chunky side, not the ultra-fine ones), chicken stock to moisten and Newfoundland Savory. Cook until it dries out to your desired consistency (I like mine a little drier.) That's it. It's salty-savory and so good on a sandwich. They serve it on French Fries in Newfoundland as well, both just the herb and the dressing itself. I know it's a sin to not stuff a bird, but hey you get one of those rotisserie chickens from the market 'cause its a lazy day and you can still have some stuffing.

I've heard it termed Summer Savory, but I'm sure the Newfoundland is better. ;)

message 32: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "Like a parsnip or very mild carrot. A good root vegetable and a good way to serve them. Chop'em up, boil then mash with brown sugar and butter and some salt if unsalted or a bit to taste. Easy and ..."

Mmmmmm. That dressing sounds tasty. I have to admit I buy mine in a bag - but it's the one I grew up on and I love it. I should try to learn to make it myself. But I basically do the same thing - to the bag mix I add all the gizzards, etc (hmm, I got some chicken parts left over...should I add?), onion, celery and butter. Plus the chicken stock and then bake.

I'm going to have to try turnips.

message 33: by Christa, The Returned (new)

Christa (christaw) | 1150 comments It's a comfort food day. I'm making onion potato soup. Onion, potato, chicken stock, garlic, fresh ground pepper and loads of Kerry's Irish Gold butter.

It's the butter that makes it, truly. Onions first sauteed in it till they soften, then dump everything else in and cook it till the potatoes start to mush.

Also known as "I can't replicate Mom's potato soup so I'm making this because I can and it's almost as awesome".

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments That sounds delish.

I'm hungry. :(

message 35: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments I'm done Christmas cooking wise.

I've made gingerbread stars (probably more than 500 of them), Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups and a batch of pirogy.

Of course, everyone loves Chemistry.

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Yum!!!

I have NOT been in the christmas spirit this year...

*sigh*

message 37: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments But it's the best time for guilt-free baking.

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I will make another butter rum pound cake.

message 39: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 2619 comments Screw the cake, there's RUM!

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "Screw the cake, there's RUM!"

:-D