Persuasion Buddy Read discussion

Persuasion
This topic is about Persuasion
Persuasion > Persuasion-inspired literature & films

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 108 comments Mod
This thread is for discussing and linking Persuasion-inspired sequels, offshoots, fanfic, movies, etc.

Persuasion-inspired books I've read:
For Darkness Shows the Stars-- reasonably good YA fantasy
Persuaded--YA romance. Cute but very fluffy.

Samanta   (almacubana) Wow! Really...a list?! :D

Karlyne Landrum | 102 comments Mary wrote: "Apparently there's a list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4..."

That was funny! And, no, I hadn't heard of any of them, except the Bridget Jones.

Mary wrote: "Apparently there's a list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4..."

I wonder how many of the books on this list are self-pubbed? :D Actually, I started this topic because Karlyne mentioned that a GR author has written a Persuasion-related short story that she liked, and I wanted to give her a place to post a link.

Mary Catelli | 48 comments Samanta wrote: "Wow! Really...a list?! :D"

Try to contain your shock.

Hana | 78 comments Mod
I've got the DVD of the 2007 version of Persuasion on order from Netflix!

QNPoohBear | 69 comments Hana wrote: "I've got the DVD of the 2007 version of Persuasion on order from Netflix!"

noooo not that dreadful thing!!! You want the movie starring Amanda Root and hunky Ciran Hinds!

There are some Persuasion what ifs by Susan Kaye, only one of which is good. There are a few stories in anthologies. One I really liked is "Heard of You." It's the Crofts love story and I think it's in Jane Austen Made Me Do it.

Persuading Annie is a modern update and it doesn't work.

The best part of the original is taken and adapted at the end of Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict.aww!!

Qnpoohbear wrote: "Hana wrote: "I've got the DVD of the 2007 version of Persuasion on order from Netflix!"

noooo not that dreadful thing!!! You want the movie starring Amanda Root and hunky Ciran Hinds! ..."

I know I watched the 2007 movie when it came out but I have absolutely no recollection of it. I remember the Ciaran Hinds version as being good and the old BBC version from the 70s as not being worth my time.

Samanta   (almacubana) I loved Rupert Penry-Jones as Wentworth but did not like Sally Hawkins as Anne.

message 12: by Mrs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs Benyishai | 7 comments I have watched the 1970 film many times and find it faithfull to the book . the only think I do not like is Anns hairdo

message 13: by Mrs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs Benyishai | 7 comments wwhat I find difficult in the story is that if Wentworth is such a clever and upright fellow how does he ever consider Louisa for even 2 min never mind sevsral monthes. @. why is Ann considered so wonderful for being true I think she was a little unrealistic What if Wentworth had not turned up so unexpectedly she would have been an old maid living with her horrid sister( I know it is just a story but people admire her faithfulness which I don't )

message 14: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 78 comments Mod
Uh Oh! I can see my choice of film versions is a tad controversial :D I'll see if I can find a DVD version of the earlier series with subtitles--the combo of British accents and poor sound recording usually dooms BBC films of that vintage for my poor old ears :(

Hana, I'd recommend going for the 1995 version rather than the 1970s version. But that's just me. :)

QNPoohBear | 69 comments Tadiana wrote: "Hana, I'd recommend going for the 1995 version rather than the 1970s version. But that's just me. :)"

Me too! The 2007 version is not faithful enough to do the story justice and the 70s version doesn't stick out in my memory at all. The 1995 version is lovely.

Okay, now that I'm finished with the book I've decided that I really need to find both the 2007 and the 1995 versions and watch them again. I've watched a few clips on YouTube and I just don't remember them well enough to offer a solid opinion on either one of them. I know I didn't dislike the 2007 version when I watched it back then (except for Anne's hair. It makes me want to cry).

So Hana, I'll watch that 2007 version with you! I know at least one of them is on YouTube in its entirety, FWIW.

message 18: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 78 comments Mod
Sounds like fun, Tadiana! I'm almost finished with the book and the DVD should arrive tomorrow :)

message 19: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 78 comments Mod
I just ordered the 1995 version--turns out it does have subtitles after all.

message 20: by Mrs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs Benyishai | 7 comments Do watch the 1970 one too It is the longest and purest

Samanta   (almacubana) Tadiana wrote: "(except for Anne's hair. It makes me want to cry). "

hahahahaha...I know how you feel. I always thought that I my perfect Persuasion couple would be 1995 version Anne and 2007 version Wentworth :D

QNPoohBear | 69 comments Samanta wrote: "Tadiana wrote: "(except for Anne's hair. It makes me want to cry). "

hahahahaha...I know how you feel. I always thought that I my perfect Persuasion couple would be 1995 version Anne and 2007 ver..."

no blond Wentworth doesn't do anything for me. Ciarán Hinds is more attractive to me. Amanda Root appears in a video at the Jane Austen Centre in Bath.

Karlyne Landrum | 102 comments Qnpoohbear wrote: "Samanta wrote: "Tadiana wrote: "(except for Anne's hair. It makes me want to cry). "

hahahahaha...I know how you feel. I always thought that I my perfect Persuasion couple would be 1995 version A..."

I have to agree with you. When I think of Wentworth, I see Hinds, and Amanda Root simply is Anne! It's perfect casting all around, except for Sir Walter. I didn't think he was handsome enough for all that vanity!

QNPoohBear | 69 comments Jane Austen Made Me Do It features a story called "Waiting" where Wentworth is waiting to speak to Sir Walter about marrying Anne at the end of the novel and flashes back to when he and Anne first fell in love. The anthology also features a modern Persuasion type story but not one I liked. I liked some other fan-fiction Persuasion stories. It also has the story "Heard of You" by Margaret C Sullivan, the Crofts' love story.

Dancing with Mr. Darcy Stories Inspired by Jane Austen and Chawton House features "Second Fruits" a good contemporary retelling of Persuasion.