Title of Episode VII revealed today

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 5 comments http://tinyurl.com/jw44z94 The Force Awakens

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Urbina | 14 comments WHAT

message 3: by Louis (new)

Louis Christakes | 19 comments I saw this at work today and got really excited. I was teaching in computer lab and I wanted to tell someone but couldn't. I like the title. Anyone else?

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Urbina | 14 comments The title's as cheesy as the last six. It's perfect. And, it makes sense because in pop culture, Star Wars has been sleeping for almost a decade. Time for this giant to wake up.

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis First thing that popped into my head when I saw the news was "The Force Unleashed." Since that's no longer canon I wonder if they will use that for Episode VIII or IX and make all the sequels have a similar naming scheme: "The Force ___".

message 6: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 5 comments Travis wrote: "First thing that popped into my head when I saw the news was "The Force Unleashed." Since that's no longer canon I wonder if they will use that for Episode VIII or IX and make all the sequels have..."

Sounds like a nice idea... guess it depends on what the meaning behind the name will be.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Tullberg I dislike it because when I say it, i kinda stop and say "awakens". The force... Awakens.... And I dont think its that memorable. But, if they as has been stated kinda use this as a template for the other titles so that when they are all done you could say, Awakens, Reborn, Diluted, Disputed etc. What im saying is that if it was a stand alone movie, the title is terrible, but as a saga the titles can be quite cool if they have anything to do with the actual plot of the movies.

message 8: by Albert (new)

Albert Nguyen Richard wrote: "I dislike it because when I say it, i kinda stop and say "awakens". The force... Awakens.... And I dont think its that memorable. But, if they as has been stated kinda use this as a template for th..."

I know how you feel. Then again, "A New Hope" isn't exactly memorable either.

Additionally the title makes me nervous because I tend to prefer Star Wars stories that focus less on the Force and more on the sociopolitical and sci-fi aspects of the franchise. For now, however, I'm not going to prejudge the new trilogy until it's actually released.

message 9: by Derek (new)

Derek Gatz (derekgatz) | 96 comments I was not impressed at first and I think that lightsaber look stupid as hell, someone said that maybe that lightsaber is overpowered and the energy needs to vent out the sides instead of it being like a broadsword, that might be cool. I also thought the voice over was lame.

Then I watched it a few days later and was more interested, the x-wings are awesome but the best part is it opening on the trooper/deserter freakin out in the middle of nowhere and they give no clue as to why hes in such a panic.
I know I will love this movie no matter what

message 10: by Derek (new)

Derek Gatz (derekgatz) | 96 comments also i saw an international trailer that for sure has real movie footage and has luke and maybe him with 2 green blades trooper with a red lightsaber, space battles and.. well here look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plwVR...

I havent heard anyone talk about this trailer, at first it looked fake to me but that is definatly bearded luke and that space battle looks way to good.

message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard Tullberg Derek wrote: "I was not impressed at first and I think that lightsaber look stupid as hell, someone said that maybe that lightsaber is overpowered and the energy needs to vent out the sides instead of it being l..."

Yes, I also had to watch the teaser a couple of times before it kinda hit me. The music, new score with Williams and just the overall look. The tone is a little bit darker, x-wings look fantastic and the storm troopers look seriously menacing. I think its andy serkis who did the voice in the beginning, and just as a guess. I think he plays an alien since thats what he does and that hes talking to luke. Luke sought him out, probably not a jedi but maybe just a wise force-user and they talk about the ripples in the force. Probably completely wrong but since I first thought it might me Max Von Sydow just talking all dark and sithy it opens up more possibilities in my mind.

Going bot on topic, I understand that it wont be called Episode VII, because movie goers who dont know that much a bout star wars shouldnt be feeling like they have to watch the other ones in the series to be able to enjoy this one. Is there any hate or gripe on this? Or is the title only welcoming to seperate them from the "Darth Vader" redemption saga that George made it to be.

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis Wow, I didn't even realize "Episode VII" isn't a part of the title. And Star Trek: Into Darkness didn't have a number, either. I guess nowadays people would feel compelled to watch the first six movies before seeing this one, although all those people have a full year to do so. But back in the hey-day of horror they slapped a number after every sequel and there was no need to see previous entries to understand and appreciate the latest. They still do that today but like everything else now each entry is more intertwined with the rest of the series (which winds up with messes like the latter Saw movies).