Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Nominations & Polls > December Nominations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iona (new)

Iona Nominations are now open for December; please use this thread to suggest any books you want to read during that month for the following categories:

Comedy
Crime
Love

Nominations will be open until November 14th.

Feel free to nominate a book from one category or two, as you like. All nominations will then be voted on.

message 2: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) My nominations:

Comedy - Joy in the Morning
Crime - Cover Her Face
Love - Rebecca

message 3: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
My nominations:

Comedy - Cakes and Ale
Crime - Brighton Rock
Love - A Farewell to Arms

message 4: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Wow! Comedy is a hard one; the only seriously comic novels I can think of, besides P.G. Wodehouse, are those of Patrick McManus. I'll nominate his "Real Ponies Don't Go Oink".

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Karlyne wrote: "Wow! Comedy is a hard one; the only seriously comic novels I can think of, besides P.G. Wodehouse, are those of Patrick McManus. I'll nominate his "Real Ponies Don't Go Oink"."

Oh, there are some great comic novels on the list! Of course, there are also some which left me with the feeling of "Huh?? That was supposed to be funny?" I guess because humor is so varied from person to person.

I am not nominating anything this time around. Other than Karlyne's nomination, I have read all the others and they are all good IMO.

message 6: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum I forgot about using the list, (I'm laughing now) (silly me), so I was just trotting around my personal library!

message 7: by Iona (new)

Iona Patrick McManus might not have made it onto the list, but there are a fair few PG Wodehouse books on there.

I'll not be nominating either. I much prefer to go with the flow and discover something new =D

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 426 comments The definition of Comic Novel on the list left me bemused at times. Finnegans Wake, anyone?!?

message 9: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
I never actually read Finnegan's Wake, but I assume that was meant to be sarcastic? I can imagine not feeling very funny trying to work through more Joyce.

There is something about their definition of comic novels for me though, because I have read almost ten times more books in all of the other categories than I have for comedy.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Phil wrote: "The definition of Comic Novel on the list left me bemused at times. Finnegans Wake, anyone?!?"

Would you like me to include this suggestion Phil?

Polls go up tomorrow

message 11: by Iona (new)

Iona I don't think comedy is always supposed to be 'laugh out loud' funny though, perhaps just being a bit clever and unorthodox is enough to get it on the list. That said, most of the people I know that studied Finnegan's Wake in uni absolutely hated every minute of it (which, in some sick and twisted way, makes me want to read it more).

Have you already read it, Phil?

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 426 comments I have already read Finnegans Wake and was putting it up as an odd example of a comedy in the list rather than a suggestion, Iona :)

I admired it, but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it. I enjoyed bits of it, but most of it was a chore. Ulysses, however, is a book that I loved - perhaps I just haven't found the key to the Wake yet.

message 13: by Phil (last edited Nov 11, 2014 11:48AM) (new)

Phil (lanark) | 426 comments Here are my nominations:

comedy:
The Prime of Miss Jean BrodieThe Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

Crime:
And Then There Were NoneAnd Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Love:
Delta of VenusDelta of Venus by Anais Nin

Yes - I have agreed to read nothing but books by women for my next 20 books :)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Thanks for the clarity Phil

message 15: by Iona (new)

Iona Why only by women? It sounds like there might be an interesting story behind this challenge...

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Nov 12, 2014 03:28AM) (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Polls are up at #s 1, 2 and 10 (no idea why)
Polls close on 19 November

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Lisa wrote: "Polls are up at #s 1, 2 and 10 (no idea why)
Polls close on 19 November"

Oh thanks for posting this! I was wondering why there were only 2 polls. (BTW, I think the Love one is #10 because it isn't a "featured" poll, while the Crime and Comedy ones are).

message 18: by Iona (new)

Iona Fixed. The relevant polls should now be #1, #2 and #3...hopefully.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Thanks

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 426 comments I was asked to read three book in a row by women writers, and somebody said that I didn't count in the challenge because I read loads of books by women - I said that I didn't and that it would only be about 20% but when I went back and counted over the last 4 years it was more like 10%, which horrified me. So I promised to read nothing but books by women for my next 20 reads. In my defence, in that time there have been a few series by men (James Bond, canterbury Tales, works of shakespeare, all the Holmes novels etc).

message 21: by Iona (new)

Iona Wow, that's interesting. I don't think I've ever given much thought as to whether I read more books by men than by women - that'd be worth finding out.

Actually, I did read somewhere that young boys are (were?) less likely to want to read books written by female authors, and that was the reason for JK Rowling using her initials, apparently. Bizarre.

message 22: by Carolien (last edited Nov 15, 2014 09:21PM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) That's very interesting. It's also interesting because more women read than men and yet there are so many male authors. I checked my list of books read for 2014 and get to about 50% of my authors.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 15 comments I would like to nominate:

Comedy - The Wimbledon Poisoner by Nigel Williams

Love - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 15 comments I would like to nominate:

Crime - Dissolution by C J Sansom

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Hi Lauren,
Nominations are unfortunately closed.
Please go to polls