Free Books 4 Reviews discussion

* READ THIS FIRST * > For Authors

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronel (last edited Feb 08, 2015 07:59AM) (new)

Ronel van Tonder (ronelvantonder) | 65 comments Mod
Welcome Authors.

This group was created for indie authors to get reviews on their new/existing books.

Here's how it works:

*** On the Website ***

1) Join the group on the FB4R website - http://freebooks4reviews.com. You will start receiving reviews once readers begin checking out your book.

*** On Goodreads ***

1) For added exposure, be sure to add your book to this Goodreads group. This is how we find new readers.

2) Post your Goodreads cover link, genre and page count to the "Add Your Recommendations Here" topic.

DO NOT POST YOUR BOOK ANYWHERE ELSE - ONLY HERE - ELSE IT WILL BE REMOVED.

3) We will then add the link to where the book can be found on the FB4R website's bookshelf. Readers can then head over to the website and obtain a copy of your book to review.

** SPECIAL NOTES **
Authors are not allowed to add additional book-related comments in the comments section of their book threads. IE: any kind of promotional material. If you want to add anything of this nature, please use the Promotional section of this forum, or advertise on FB4R website.

Reasons for Rejection
We want to promote indie authors and give them one of the best starts possible for their books. That's why this group was created.
This will only work, however, if you make sure your book meets the following minimum requirements:

Indie Only
This group was specifically made for indie authors in mind. Authors that are not backed with the massive marketing budgets most traditional publishers have at their disposal. Each book will be vetted to ensure that it is an indie author's work. No traditional publishing books will be accepted. (PS - this rule was only written in stone on Nov 10, 2014. Any traditionally published authors that had their work accepted before this will still be allowed in the group.)

Properly formatted for e-book/kindle
This includes a table of contents, front and back matter. If you don't know what any of these are, go to Smashwords and download their style and formatting guide.

Proof-Read
We don't expect you to shell out for an editor and/or proofreader before publishing. Most people can't afford this. But make sure that the work you are recommending to this group is thoroughly spell-checked, proofread and formatted. We can't stress this enough. Don't give indie authors a bad name. There are tons of way of getting a well-edited book out there for pennies or for free. PM any of the moderators if you want some pointers.

Proper Length
We don't accept novellas or short stories, except in anthologies. Here is a breakdown of the average lengths for different formats.
Short Story: 1,500 - 30,000 (approx. 5-85 pages)
Novella: 30,000 - 50,000 (approx. 85-140 pages)
Novel: 55,000+ (More than 150 pages)

Cover Art
Again, there are many ways to get really great covers, either for free or with a small payment. It's an investment. Really, really bad covers just won't work. We'll still consider recommending the books, but if the inside isn't much better then you just won't get on the list. Again, contact us directly for more info. We're always here to help!

Samples Available
Whether the book is on Amazon or Smashwords (or both), make sure we have a sample to look at. We won't consider adding any books to FB4R without reading at least the first 10% of the book.

Series
We will publish the first book in a series, and then see the response before posting the second. You can recommend both, but we'll most likely only post the first book, see readers' response, and then post the second. It also gives other authors writing in the same genre a chance to get some feedback.

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven V.S. (middlegradeprivateer) | 9 comments Sounds great! thanks for setting this up :)

message 3: by Ronel (new)

Steven wrote: "Sounds great! thanks for setting this up :)"

Glad you like it! Remember to invite everyone in your group. You never know how many reviewers might come out of the woodwork. :D

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven V.S. (middlegradeprivateer) | 9 comments will do!

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Dalton | 7 comments What's your definition of novella? What's the minimum word count?

message 6: by Ronel (new)

Michael wrote: "What's your definition of novella? What's the minimum word count?"

That's such a good question that I had to Google it :D

I added the answer to the thread above, but here it is again:
Short Story: 1,500 - 30,000 (approx. 5-85 pages)
Novella: 30,000 - 50,000 (approx. 85-140 pages)
Novel: 55,000+ (More than 150 pages)

(I even whipped out my calculator and converted it to pages using the 350 words/page average assumption)

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Dalton | 7 comments Erm, what if it's 53,000 words? Is it cast into the pit of oblivion?

(j/k--so it's 50k and up then?)

message 8: by Ronel (new)

Okay, let's not get too technical. That's *whips out calculator* 150 pages (approx.)

So I think that's still acceptable. As long as its a good read, that's what matters. But yeah, we'll look at 50k and above.

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel Smith (melrjsmith) Hi I have a book nearing completion, can I post it here as an indi author or do I need to wait until it is complete...as a side notes the writings are complete and fully edited, the cover is complete. I am just finalising some illustrations.
Regards
Mel

message 10: by Ronel (new)

Mel wrote: "Hi I have a book nearing completion, can I post it here as an indi author or do I need to wait until it is complete...as a side notes the writings are complete and fully edited, the cover is comple..."

Hi Mel,

No, this group is only for published works looking for more exposure. So it has to be on Amazon/Smashwords as a pre-order (minimum) or published.

But let us know as soon as it's done :)

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel Smith (melrjsmith) Ok many thanks

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (Fantacia1) | 1 comments My Book is FREE only on Smashwords, in all formats am I allowed to put it on here?

message 13: by Ronel (new)

Ruth wrote: "My Book is FREE only on Smashwords, in all formats am I allowed to put it on here?"

Hi Ruth,

After an overwhelming demand from readers and authors alike for this service, we've moved the main functions of this group to a website.

Please check out http://freebooks4reviews.com and sign up as an author there. Once your book passes the vetting stage and is accepted, then readers can start reviewing it for you.

Let me know if you came right adding your book!