The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Clark Ashton Smith
This topic is about Clark Ashton Smith
Science Fiction Authors > Clark Ashton Smith ... The Emperor of Dreams.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rotuma (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:43AM) (new)

Rotuma | 13 comments Any Fans???

He is a great exponent and pioneer of the crossover genres of sci-fi, horror and fantasy. If you are fascinated by the dark and macabre, I highly recommend him.

I loved his short stories, especially those set in his fictitious worlds of Hyperborea, Zothique and Averoigne.

The Beast of Averoigne is one of my favourites.

message 2: by Rotuma (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:46AM) (new)

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments I've never read Clark Ashton Smith but I have to say the books you recommend sound really good. I don't read too much crossover stuff but dark and macabre is always good. I think i'm going to put them on my Christmas list

message 4: by Rotuma (last edited Nov 06, 2014 10:43PM) (new)

Rotuma | 13 comments Considering he wrote during the 1930's, his prose doesn't feel dated. His stories are eloquently written, flow well and are easy to read.

I would describe his genre as more akin to cosmic horror ... Many stories relate to alternate realities, and other dimensions where fantastic creatures both alien and horrifying enter our realm, and unfortunate victims are drawn into theirs!

message 5: by David (new)

David Merrill | 240 comments I finally managed to finish my collection of The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith from Night Shade books this year. The first two or three of the volumes are tough to get a decent price if you happened to miss them as they were coming out. The 5 volume series presents the preferred version of each story in order of when when they were published. So, having the last four volumes was rather maddening. I couldn't start reading until I got a hold of the first two.