Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
This topic is about Seraphina
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hartman, Rachel ; Seraphina (Seraphina #1) "Revisit", Informal Buddy Read, Start Date Dec 28, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:06AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod

This topic is open for Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. Be prepared for SPOILERS

Synopsis:
Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.

In her exquisitely written fantasy debut, Rachel Hartman creates a rich, complex, and utterly original world. Seraphina's tortuous journey to self-acceptance is one readers will remember long after they've turned the final page.

Note: This book was first read with NBRC in November 2012. Discussion questions are available on that thread which can be found here

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

What is a buddy read?

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14265 comments Mod
This should give me the push to finally read this

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments I'm in! :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm in!

Audrey Jane | 1449 comments *takes out a piece of paper, writes down the date* Yep, this one too

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

teehee

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarathebooklover) I am so in :D

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I wasn't organised enough to get this from the library before they closed for Christmas, but I'll pick it up Friday so will start just a few days late

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 01, 2015 04:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm going to copy and paste the DQs from when this was a BOM. No need to answer all or any of these, I'm posting them for my own reference as I'll probably use this as a basis to discuss the book

Comments and Questions for Chapters 1 - 3
(view spoiler)

Comments and Questions for Chapters 4 - 7
(view spoiler)

Questions and Comments for Chapters 8 - 12
(view spoiler)

Comments and Questions for Chapters 13 - 16
(view spoiler)

Comments and Questions for Chapters 17 - 20
(view spoiler)

Questions and Comments for Chapters 21 - 25
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 01, 2015 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Questions and Comments for Chapters 26 - 30
(view spoiler)

Questions for chapter 32 - end
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 02, 2015 11:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 1 - 3
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 03, 2015 12:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 4 - 7
(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I will start it soon, a day or two. :) I'm just finishing up Wizard's First Rule.

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

hooray! I feel like a bit of a nigel-no-friends at the moment ;)

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 03, 2015 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 8-12
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 13-16
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 17-20
(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I will start the book tomorrow. :)

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

woohoo!

message 21: by Audrey Jane (last edited Jan 06, 2015 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Audrey Jane | 1449 comments I'm still in too, I was just a bit lost with which book to read first :p
I read a bit today and so far I'm liking it. I like the writing style. Curious to see where it goes. I will read a bit tonight *checks the clock* okay now, and then check the questions :)

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hooray. More friends ;)

You don't need to follow the DQs if you don't want to. I did just because they are already there but I haven't answered all of them

message 23: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 21-25
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 26-30
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 07, 2015 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 31-end
(view spoiler)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments How old is Seraphina? I don't know if I missed the mention of the time jump.

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

She is only 16

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Ah, thank you!

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

No worries. It kind of surprised me how young she and Glisselda are!

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments I'm still somewhere at Chapter 1. I better get off Goodreads and do some real reading :D

Audrey Jane | 1449 comments I'm about the start chapter 5 (that's approx. 16% in the book I think).

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Off to read some more!

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey Jane wrote: "I'm about the start chapter 5 (that's approx. 16% in the book I think).

I'm liking the author's writing style. So far not much happened. Up to the point I read we had mainly flashbacks & visions. ..."

It is so interesting to see your comments now that I have read the book! I don't want to give away any spoilers, but certainly your questions do get answered :)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Til somewhere at Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathleen wrote: "Til somewhere at Chapter 5

When she said she stopped questioning the logic of what she was doing, I did too..."

Same here. Clever line for the author to include for that reason!!

You will find at the back of the book a cast of characters and glossary (goodness knows why they don't put these at the front!) it is extremely handy

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Karen wrote: "Same here. Clever line for the author to include for that reason!!"

I thought so too! If she had not written that I bet I'd still be over the top asking myself what the heck is happening.

message 36: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Is it too late for me to start this book for the buddy read?

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Joi wrote: "Is it too late for me to start this book for the buddy read?"

Join us! I'm still somewhere at Chapter 5 and we could always come discuss with you.

message 38: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Okay, I just saw that my library has it available online...then I saw that it was a buddy read, so I thought, hey...why not?

I will get started tonight after I finish Animal Farm.

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great, welcome Joi!

message 40: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Thank you. I've wanted to read this book for a while.

Audrey Jane | 1449 comments I just started chapter 10. (view spoiler)

Some random thoughts while reading:

(view spoiler)

Chapter 9: It's getting interesting! (view spoiler)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Up to Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments I don't know if it's just me but I'm a little detached with the book. Hopefully the latter half of the book quells it.

Audrey Jane | 1449 comments Kathleen wrote: "I don't know if it's just me but I'm a little detached with the book. Hopefully the latter half of the book quells it."

I understand what you mean. It gets a bit better in the second half with a bit more intrigue but the narration basically stays the same. I'm still enjoying the ride (I'm 83% in) but there's definitely something missing. I like the worldbuilding and Hartman's writing style. I haven't been bored so far, so that's definitely a plus. I'm not sold on the romance though, (view spoiler).
Also I love Orma, he's without a doubt my favourite character.

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments I'm with you there Audrey! Orma is my favorite character too. Dame Okra coming in second! ;) They're the only characters I care about at the moment. I'm 71% in and still couldn't get myself invested with what's happening with Seraphina. Thankfully, things have picked up so the plot is making up for my detachment with the main character.

Not sold on the romance either! (view spoiler)

message 46: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Orma is great :)
I agree, it took me a while to get into the book. I think there are just so many new concepts and names it creates distance with the reader. The romance I took as typical YA so it didn't bother me too much. I was just happy for no love triangle ;)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Karen wrote: "Orma is great :)

I was just happy for no love triangle ;) "

Ah yes. Badly written love triangles can make or break a book for me too.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I'm listening to the audiobook of Seraphina. I'm a little less than halfway.

(view spoiler)

Audrey Jane | 1449 comments Amanda, I had the sense that (view spoiler)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Audrey Jane wrote: "Amanda, I had the sense that [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)