Islam discussion

Recommendations for fiction with Muslim protagonists

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 120 comments I would like to read more novels that have Muslims as the protagonists. Anybody has any recommendations?

Some of the books I've read:
* The Kite Runner
* A Thousand Splendid Suns
* Sweetness in the Belly
* Does My Head Look Big In This?
* Brick Lane
* The Reluctant Fundamentalist

message 2: by apostrophe (new)

apostrophe A (apostrophea) | 2 comments Salam. I've just added some books with Muslim protagonists and/or characters in my to-read list. I'm interested in Reading Umm Zakiyyah's books - If I Should Speak, A Voice, and if I'm not wrong under the pseudonym of Ruby Moore, A Friendship Promise.

message 3: by Femmy (last edited Nov 08, 2014 05:39PM) (new)

Femmy | 120 comments Thank you. I've started reading If I Should Speak but haven't finished it. I'll have to finish it one of these days. But I can't see your to-read list as you've set your profile to private.

message 4: by apostrophe (new)

apostrophe A (apostrophea) | 2 comments Yes, well goodreads set it on private because of my age.. but it will be public by this December. Other books I've heard of with Muslim protagonists are mostly for teens though, like Skunk Girl and the new and best-selling graphic novel/ comic series, Ms Marvel by G Willow Wilson.

message 5: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 120 comments I'm interested in Muslim teen novels, too. Skunk Girl seems interesting. Thanks!

message 6: by Razia (new)

Razia (hitchhiker2heaven) Salaam. Crusade by Elizabeth Laird has a Muslim protagonist. It is a children's novel (age 12-14) but it is very well written.

message 7: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 120 comments Thank you, Razia. I see that Elizabeth Laird's other books have Muslim protagonists as well.