This topic is about Shakespeare's Wife
GROUP READS > November NON-FICTION selection SHAKESPEARE'S WIFE

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) This looks fascinating!

message 2: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El | 756 comments Mod
I'll be late to this, which is appearing to be typical for me. :) But I did request it from the library so hopefully can start soon.

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) Yes, I'm just about to get my hands on it myself.

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I am tragically behind in ALL my reading, but I have the copy on the pile! I've got to step up my game haha

Paulina I read it a week ago. It was pretty cool - I really liked how Germaine Greer made fun of all the (pretty misogynist and wholly unprofessional) assumptions made by historians regarding Ann Hathaway. Which I also get second-hand because I never read anything on Shakespeare before.

It was exhausting to read. I read non fiction a lot, but this is proper academic writing that I think I haven't touched since uni. All reinforced by a wealth of evidence. It does give you confidence with regards to her arguments.

I have also been surprised to read that the women of Tudor England enjoyed about as much of independence as modern women (as opposed to women of following periods). This is not exactly shocking, looking at trends within history, but I'd be interested in knowing how that all came about and what changed people's outlook over the next decade. Was it religion...?

So excited to hear someone else's opinion on this!

message 6: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El | 756 comments Mod
I'm trudging through this book. It's seriously dragging. I don't have an issue with academic writing, but I feel Greer is all over the place with this one. She has many references and endnotes, yes, but I still feel most of her text is full of supposition which is highly disappointing. Granted, there's little known of Shakespeare or his wife, so this is in some ways better than nothing... but when one says "she probably" as regularly as Greer does in this book, it's evident that it's all just one big guess. I'm not sure what she's really bringing to the table here.

I am appreciating the information about Tudor England more. Like Paulina says, it is interesting and surprising to read of women's independence during the era, and it's detailed fairly well here. Greer might have done a better job if she had just focused on women's lives in Tudor England instead of trying to make connections to Ann Hathaway at the same time.

I'll keep going, but so far I'm really disappointed.

message 7: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) I'm so sorry to hear that El! Yeah, wholesale speculation doesn't usually appeal much to me either. I think your point about just looking at women in Tudor England sounds really sensible - I suppose she thought she needed a "hook" to hang it on?