Writing Contest-- 11/5-12/15

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Saru (Queen of Bookland) (sarulovesbooks) | 3543 comments Mod
Okay, here's the contest as requested.

Your prompt is:
"Stop acting so small. You are the universe, in ecstatic motion."
-Rumi

Write something about it, anything. Whatever comes to mind. I don't have many rules. BUT HAVE FUN!

message 2: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 236 comments If I don't have fun, will I be disqualified?

message 3: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 1572 comments Ooh ok this'll either turn out excellently or horribly!

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 2533 comments Mod
i like this prompt. so unique.

message 5: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Hayden (previously Emily) wrote: "If I don't have fun, will I be disqualified?"

That's my only question.:P

message 6: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Okay, at first I was completely clueless on this, but then I realized I was already writing up a story on something kinda like this. :P

So, my entry, which I shall post later, is hopefully going to be a summarized version of a story I'm writing!

message 7: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments ((My entry!!))

To see through a cloudy veil is similar to waking up far too early. To live in an apartment flat is like a permanent camping trip… in the city. I’m always exhausted, yet I can never sleep. To look at those two figures that should be my parents is like looking at a pierrot painting. We can’t even be around each other because of the memories it brings. We each have our own jobs that keep us all day long, and the excuse of sleep to be away at night. Though none of us sleep, at least, I know I don’t.

I take a walk in the night, around my block, and the next one and the next one. I try to look up at the night sky, but I’m greeted with darkness above, and light all around me. I want to take a deep breath and smell that fresh, country air, but I’m in a city now.

It’s hard to wake up one morning in a white bed, in a blank room. Even harder to realize that it’s been 7 days since you were last conscious. And beyond comparison to realize that it’s your 17th birthday, and to have your present be, every sense of home and family is gone. That somehow I survived the explosion while my parents took a walk to the mail box, and there wasn't even enough left for a funeral.

Who am I supposed to joke with now? Who am I supposed to play with and formulate pranks with? What am I supposed to race every morning while doing farm chores? What am I even supposed to do farm chores with now?

One morning I woke up and walked into the “living room” to try and to find my glasses. I left them on the counter last night and forgot to take them to my room, and now I was regretting it. As I bumped into every possible thing in our bleak house, I nearly crushed them once I did find them. I hated the things, even though I really needed them. A serious love/hate relationship; and to top it off like a cherry on a sundae, they are extremely uncomfortable and huge. Still getting used to them I guess.

It’s been a few months since the “incident” and it’s nearly Halloween. I don’t even know what to do with myself. I was going to do a band of murderous zombie pirates with them, all 6 of us, with mom and dad being our prisoners. But now, I can’t. Not only because everything and everyone I held dear was blown up, but also because it’ll be awkward with just me going out by myself. After all, 17, too old to trick-or-treat and too young to die; no matter how much I wanted to. My parents are going to somewhat of a party, but I’m not allowed to go. They will have a couple of drinks, so I’ll probably have to pick them up later. But I can only hope there are no firearms. I’m so tired of having to consul them on suicide when I could use it myself. But at least I can finally talk about them without getting all teary.

I can also talk about my best friend without crying. Granted, it’s hard, really hard. But I can manage. To lose her too wasn't easy. I mean, losing everything is nowhere near easy, but I need her to talk to about my brothers. Mostly because she can relate to me a lot about the topic, I mean, we both live in the same house. But I really miss her; she was a really good listener, even if she could talk back. My big, fluffy, polar bear dog is hopefully wherever they are.

Who am I now? Without them, I’m some sort of only child that makes my parents look socially awkward. And they aren’t! Trust me; you should see where most of their friends ended up. Best buds as teenagers, separated by the big house as adults.

I've always wanted to grow up to be a veterinarian, mostly because I did grow up on a farm since I was 5. Well, no, we moved to the country on my 6th birthday. But we've talked about having animals and a garden since I was 5. Back to the point, I've always been really good with animals, and well, wanted to be a special type of doctor. But lately, my mom and I cook way too much food. We were used to cooking for 8, and now we somehow just have to switch over to 3. That’s a dramatic change. Point being is, maybe I’ll be a cook. Might be a little hard to actually get hired because of my glasses…

But that’s it! I’m not mentally challenged or disabled in any way, just glasses. I don’t know how I only ended up in crutches and bandages for months, and them as… dust… but that’s what happened. And I know there is nothing I can do about it anymore, but I constantly have a nagging feeling that I missed something, or forgot something. As the oldest sibling, I take it, no… took it, to great measures and very seriously that it was my job to protect them. And it feels like I failed, even though what happened wasn’t preventable or reversible, I still feel like I let them down, didn’t do my job right. You know that feeling?

Anyway, I’m still very unsure of who I want to be. I guess the list kind of ranges from a cook, to some sort of doctor, to a detective or FBI agent. But I’m going to be something! For them… for my dear 5 younger brothers I lost, I will be someone important and well know. I know they would be disappointed in me if I was always sad and lived in melancholy, just as I would be with them if the incident happened the other way around. But I’ll never forget them, and I will always have a picture of them so I can never forget their smiles.

message 9: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Sam~ let all the voices stop~ wrote: "yay, alina. (:"

Yay!

Are you going to post one?

Y'ALL SO SORRY THIS TOPIC DOESN'T SHOW UP ON THE APP FOR ME BUT YAY GLAD YOU LIKE THE PROMPT!

Also, thanks for the entry, Alina! ^_^

Also, in response to your question, Emily, I don't have a way of knowing, so no. XD

message 12: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Sounds like the app is stupid... :P

message 13: by Sumaiyya (new)

Sumaiyya | 16 comments Yeah it kinda sucks.

It really does.

message 15: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments I shall never get it then! XD

message 16: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments So... I win, I don't win... What's up?

You win, both by default and because your story rules. :)

message 18: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Yay! Default! Wait... I mean...because it rocks! XD

message 20: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Thank you, Sam!

You know, I just realized something. This is the first time I won a writing contest from Bookeaters! And I've been here for almost two years! I better pick up the pace.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 2533 comments Mod
Well, there was that one that we tied in...

message 22: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Ah, yes. There was that one.

Who wants to judge the next one? I'll do it if no one does. But, you know, I'd much rather write. :P

sames. especially since i just got home so now i'll actually have time.

message 24: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Yayz! Youz is homez! XD

message 25: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 345 comments haha am i even qualified to judgee

lol but i'd like to.

(although i might forget and disappear)
(i'll remember to set a reminder on my calendar)

although i'd rather not come up with a prompt, because i suck at doing that :P

message 27: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 1572 comments Well oops. I guess that disappearing thing happened again. Sorry...

message 28: by Taylor (new)

Taylor  | 3024 comments Mod
The group's been pretty dead, so that's okay.

message 29: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO KEEP IT ALIVE. SHESH!

Dana!! Doo set! Pwease! XD

message 30: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 345 comments OH YAYYYY

BUT SOMEONE NEEDS TO GIVE ME A PROMPT BECAUSE I'M AWFUL AT THAT

pretty please?

message 31: by Taylor (new)

@Dana

I'm really tired (it's just before 6 AM here) and today's gonna be a bit rough, but I'll PM you a few ideas as soon as I can. :)

message 32: by Dana (last edited Dec 20, 2014 05:02AM) (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 345 comments yaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D

hope your day will get better :)

message 33: by Taylor (new)

Dude me too. I'm not even out of bed yet and my manager texted me about today's workload…and then I have to go see someone in the hospital because they attempted suicide.

*breathes*

It's gonna be okay.

message 34: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 345 comments Oh dear.
It's been a long time since I've been on here, so.. do you still work at a supermarket? (lol this is why i should have kept up on GR)

And please offer my condolences & best wishes to your friend (i presume?) :)

message 35: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments @Taylor

Don't worry, everything will be fine. And I wish you the best of luck with the hospital trip to your friend.

@Dana,

Prompts aren't that hard. :P just come up with something to go along with a season, an emotion, a holiday, an item, etc. Like Christmas, or the emotion confusion, having a companion that's a dog, etc.

On a completely unrelated topic, I'm sick and feel like just sleeping.

Shit.

I really need to stop disappearing. XP

message 37: by Taylor (new)

@Dana

You've actually been gone so long that I had time to leave the supermarket and then come back, hahaha.

message 39: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Sam~ let all the voices stop~ wrote: "SEV AND SARU ARE HERE."

Now all we need is Jude and the whole gang is back together! That is, as long as Saru and Sev stay.

*gives them a "I dare you to leave" look* ;P

message 40: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 345 comments Taylor - oh haha

Saru - YES. also, when are you going to get to blogging again?? (no pressure, but i love your blog, so)

message 41: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 345 comments SEVVVVVVVV UPDATE THE ONE SENTENCE STORYYY

it's been months but i just realised you didn't update it so please do

message 42: by Taylor (new)

@Saru

Blog? Why did you hide this from me?

message 43: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 345 comments .......it's on her GR profile...?

http://qaisracetusbookblog.blogspot.tw/

Oh, hey. I knew that existed, but then I forgot.

LOOK I AM STILL HERE

Hahah, yes that is on my GR profile. And thanks for asking, Dana, that's really nice of you. ^_^ I think I'll start blogging again at some point within now and January. New Years resolution!

message 46: by Taylor (new)

Nearly all New Year's resolutions end within 3 weeks.

Scientific fact ^^^^^^^^

Most of mine don't make it past the first day. But really, I just kinda miss blogging. It was stressful, though. That's why I stopped.

message 48: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Taylor wrote: "Nearly all New Year's resolutions end within 3 weeks.

Scientific fact ^^^^^^^^"

^^^^ Or less. XD

message 49: by Taylor (new)

Well, yeah. But the study I'm referring to is actually really hilarious, because it takes 3 weeks to form a habit, and so if you aren't doing well in the first three weeks, you're basically going to stop by the time the 21st rolls around.

I have two New Years days so I make resolutions both times. Neither lasts more than a week. (;

« previous 1