811 Reviews discussion

Reviews! > November Reviews!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (last edited Nov 05, 2014 06:13PM) (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 11 comments Mod
Paragraph 1: Summarize the text without giving away the ending. In your summary, make sure to identify the genre, protagonist, antagonist, setting, and the primary conflict. This paragraph should be a MINIMUM of five sentences.

Paragraph 2: Reflection (should be a minimum of six sentences)
Answer at least TWO of the following questions:
1.) Did you like/dislike this book? Why/why not?
2.) Did you make any personal connections to the text? Explain.
3.) To whom would you recommend this text? Why?
4.) What advice would you give to the author? What questions do you have?
5.) How does this book compare to others you have read by the same author?
6.) How does this book compare to others you have read in the same genre?
7.) What was the most aspect of the text? Character development? The setting? The kind of conflict?
8.) Create your own interesting question!

Here's a model of an exemplar review:

Waiting for the Barbarians by J.M. Coetzee is a dystopian novel that tells the story of how a "by-the-book" Magistrate is changed after witnessing the inhumane treatment of innocent barbarians in his town by the powerful Empire. Even though the Magistrate was warned that a group of nomadic barbarians were considering rebelling, he does not believe that his town is under much threat because the Barbarians are usually harmless. However, corrupt government officials decide that they are still going to be held prisoner within the walls of his town. After seeing the mistreatment of the barbarians and developing a relationship with a barbarian woman who has been blinded and disfigured by her own people, he begins to reflect upon his own routines and behaviors and decides to make a change, even if it means incurring the wrath of the Empire.

I recommend this book to, well, everyone. There are many ways that people abuse power, and it is important for people that people do not take passive roles when they see injustice. This can extend from political injustice to every day events such as bullying, domestic violence, troubled friends, littering, etc. If we want to be part of a safe community, then we must be active participants in creating a positive environment. As I write this I am reminded of a famous quote by Gandhi--"“We must become the change we want to see.” It reminds me of Sherman Alexie's novel The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian because Arnold Spirit stands up against the hopelessness within his own community, even if it means he will be an outcast. Just like the Magistrate, Arnold begins to realize that by not challenging himself, he is simply part of the vicious cycle of poverty and may end up like the sad people around him.

message 2: by Wilton (new)

Wilton G | 12 comments I have finish Reading the book TheFigtingGround overall the meaning of the book as Jonathan learning his lesson he left to join the war without asking his father thinking that he was ready he didnt need to train but he was wrong.They made him train and train i dont think a kid he age would be able to survive This book is about Jonathan's adventure to being a solider and meeting death face to face it's not easy to be in the war at a young age once you get older you start thinking about the war and believe it or not you can go crazy and nows what could happen.

I would recommend this book to people who like history or to anyone because there is a big lesson Jonathan the main character learns in this book. I would like to ask the author is what if Jonathan was called again to fight in the war would he just leave or this time tell his father? The most aspect of the text was character development throughout the story Jonathan changes from being some kid the thinks he'll be ok in the war because hes knows how yo use a gun to a strong brave solider that fought for his country and ended up winning.

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika M | 32 comments In the book Specials by Scott Westerfeld Tally was a special which is a fighting machine that keeps the uglies down and the pretties stupid. Tally was programmed with strength and focus. Tally's friends were kidnapped by smokies. On her way on finding new smokes she passed through a lot of dangers. She realized that being a special was hard that she wanted to
Change back into a pretty/ugly.When she found new smokes he realized it changed the smokies changed. They were more stronger now.

I like the book because it really is entertaining. I can relate to Tally because sometimes I feel like I want to be a 3 or 5 year old again I want to go back. I recommend this book to the people who like dystopian/science fiction. I really like this book because I feel like I was in the story. I felt like I experienced it. Where does the author gets his ideas?

message 4: by Mahnoor (new)

Mahnoor Zahra | 39 comments Suzanne Collins dystopian noval The Hunger Games is about a girl named Katniss had to make the choice of her life time when she steps up for her sister in the hunger games. The hunger game is a game played for the Capitol between each district on live tv. In the hunger games you have to be the last one of the twenty four to stay alive. There are twelve district and in each district a boy and a girl will have to be picked randomly. So after Katniss volentries she is send to the Capitol for the games there the other person that was picked Peeta pertends to be in love with Katniss so they will both get the advantege. Later in the book the game maker tell them that both of them can stay alive so Katniss goes and finds Peeta. After Peeta and Katniss have both killed everyone the game makers tell them to kill each other because the ot is unfair so Katniss decides to let both of them die becuase she doesn't want to lose Peeta who influnced her to help her find food for her famliy by giving her food. After that the game makers make an onouncement to tell them that they have won and that both of them can live.

I really really really like this book because i always loved dystopain books and to me it is one of the best books and it is the second time i am reading it and i just really like it will give this book a 5/5.

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika M | 32 comments In the book Extras by scott westerfeld it isnt about Tally anymore. The new characters name is Aya. Aya is a 15 year old girl who is an extra. An extra has the lowest face rank and is nobody. In her world everyone wants to be a celebrity. When Aya told a really good story she suddenly was famous. But the story that she told is going to change her.
I like this book because it feels like its a true story. I really like the series because it is very entertaining. I recommend this book to the people who love dystopian books. And also everyone because it is a very good book.

message 6: by Mahnoor (new)

Mahnoor Zahra | 39 comments The Hunger Games Catching Fire is about this girl named Katniss who after winning the games has to go back in the arena because the capital says that the victors have to play the games by picking one boy victor and one girl victor from each of the twelve district to go back in the arena and fight till only one servives. Katniss want to keep Peeta alive but the group is trying to keep Katniss alive. By the end of the book Katniss finds out that she is a mockingjay and that there is no more district twelve.

I really like this book because I love books that are out of this world and this is a great book and you can learn a lot from it like you should be strong no matter what. I would give this book a 5/5 because it gets better and better and I can't wait to get to school so I can get the Mockingjay.