The F-word discussion

ARCHIVES > Nominations for DECEMBER/JANUARY!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (last edited Nov 05, 2014 04:56PM) (new)

Taylor (seffietay) It's that time again... and I think we should try a different way of selecting group reads this time around. The polls aren't getting that many voters (7/1312? Really?) so hows about we each nominate one book we would like to read, and vote within this thread for the selections for Dec/Jan.

Here's what I'm throwing in the ring:
Fiction: Kushiel's Dart
Non-Fiction: Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem

Thoughts?

message 2: by Desiree' (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) I vote for:

Playwrite: "The Vagina Monologues" by Eve Ensler
Non-Fiction: "WomanSpirit Rising" Ed. by Carol P. Christ & Judith Plaskow
Autobiography: "West with the Night" by Beryl Markham

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) I'll nominate for fiction All Over Creation and for non-fiction Men Explain Things to Me.

message 4: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) So any more nominations, or any seconds for what we have already nominated? What books are languishing on your to be read list, that just need a little nudge to get you moving? What would you really like to read and discuss with the group?

message 5: by Nea (new)

Nea (neareads) I would like to add The Moon Under Her Feet. I also like Alexa's nomination of Men Explain Things to Me

message 6: by Nea (new)

Nea (neareads) Kushiel's Dart was too sadistic for me, but the writing is superb. It's just not a book that I could ever finish.

message 7: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments I'd like to second Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem by Gloria Steinem as the non-fic read. It sounds like everybody should read this book.

message 8: by Sabreen (new)

Sabreen | 5 comments I'll vote for Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem too. It sounds interesting and optimistic

message 9: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments ✿Lilac✿ wrote: "I'll vote for Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem too. It sounds interesting and optimistic"

Yay, Lilac. I'm getting quite excited about this book. I'll be reading it anyway :-)

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Oooh Gloria is looking like the Non-fic read for December! And because I have loved all of Ozeki's works so far I'll happily second All Over Creation! Though The Moon Under Her Feet also looks great, it's a hard choice!!

message 11: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) So the casual consensus here seems to be Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem as our non-fiction read and All Over Creation as our fiction read. I can get really excited by both of those! Anyone else want to chime in?

message 12: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) Although this discussion was also supposed to come up with a January selection too. So I think the current second-up in the non-fiction category would be Men Explain Things to Me and the fiction would be The Moon Under Her Feet. Is that what we want to read for January? Any more comments? No complaints here!

message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Those sound good to me!

message 14: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments Definitely up for both non-fics.

message 15: by Nea (new)

Nea (neareads) Sounds good to me

message 16: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Yay thanks everyone!

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlychristensen) | 1 comments I am excited for both of the selected nonfiction!

message 18: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments Kimberly wrote: "I am excited for both of the selected nonfiction!"

I'm excited, too. They were so on my list. But now they've been booted to the top :-)

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Bazzett-Griffith | 6 comments Living Treasures by Yang Huang
I just finished this one-- would be a fantastic group read for a feminist bookclub. I'd be happy to lead a discussion if it is ever chosen.

message 20: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments I'm 40% through Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem. It's a hefty read, but interesting stuff.

message 21: by Cara (new)

Cara | 8 comments I read Revolution from Within a month or so ago, and yeah, I thought it was really interesting! I'm looking forward to discussing it.

message 22: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments Cara wrote: "I read Revolution from Within a month or so ago, and yeah, I thought it was really interesting! I'm looking forward to discussing it."

I've nearly finished it. Read it too soon, I think. That is a lot of info to hold in my head till Dec/Jan! :-)

message 23: by Cara (new)

Cara | 8 comments Natasha (Diarist) wrote: "Cara wrote: "I read Revolution from Within a month or so ago, and yeah, I thought it was really interesting! I'm looking forward to discussing it."

I've nearly finished it. Read it too soon, I thi..."

Definitely a lot of info! Here's hoping the discussion will jog our memories :)

message 24: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments Michelle wrote: "A book that I reread recently (having read it when it was first published) is Marilyn French's, "The Women's Room", which might be a title to consider for the future although it is a lengthy book."

I read that 25 years ago. Would be trippy to re-read :-)

message 25: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) That's a great list, thanks!

message 26: by Leif (new)

Leif Petersen (leifpetersen) | 2 comments as a counter-point to Men Explain Things To Me, which is a book men should read, i would suggest my own 'male explanation' - An Ordinary Man - in which an ordinary man attempts to do just that; explain to women the biological basis for our love/hate relationship.

An Ordinary Man by Leif Petersen

message 27: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 285 comments Michelle wrote: "Just curious about how we will be discussing the Rebecca Solnit book, by essay or another way?"

Not by title, sadly, as there is very little explaining :-)

message 28: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) I haven't read it yet - what would you all suggest as the best way to discuss it? Perhaps one of you who have already read it would like to "lead" the discussion?