What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Chapter Book About a Girl and Boy who are Child Labourers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments I believe this book was a historical fiction chapter book for children aged 8-12ish. I read it around 7 years ago, and it was quite musty and old back then, so I'd guess it was published in the 70's to 80's.
I remember that there was a picture (either on the cover or in the book) of a girl pulling a cart in a tunnel. She had a belt around her waist and a chain that went through her legs and attached to a coal cart. She had a rash on the inside of her thighs because of the chain.
One day, she meets a little boy and they escape together. They live in a basement (?) I think, and try to find food in other ways. Maybe the boy was a chimney sweeper?

It was probably only around 100-200 pages long and I believe the cover was beige.

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Anything on this list?

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 3: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments No, I already tried that. (And Worldcat.)
Thanks, though.

message 4: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping for Westcoast_girl - quite a specific memory. Has it turned up?

message 5: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments Thank you! No, not yet

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
A long shot - A Candle in the Dark by Robert Swindells?
"Young Jimmy Booth is glad to leave the workhouse for a job in a coal mine, but soon finds himself in worse danger than he could have imagined."

Subjects: Coal mines and mining -- England -- Juvenile fiction. Child labor -- England -- Juvenile fiction.

message 7: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments I don't think so, but thank you so much for trying!

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments Was the girl the main character?

I'm finding lots of books about coal mines, but most of the MCs are boys. Can you remember if your book was set in England or Canada or the USA?

message 9: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments Hi,

The girl was the main character, and I believe it was set in England. I'm happy to abandon this query, though, so please don't spend too much effort on it!

Thanks

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments No worries. I won't actively look, but if someone recognizes it, that would be cool.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Candle in the Dark (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Swindells (other topics)