Memoirs of a Geisha Memoirs of a Geisha discussion

Memoirs of a Geisha

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lindsey Czopek I am only on chapter three of this book so far, but I am starting to become very interested in this book. I like the main character Chiyo-chan and I am a little bit unsure of the intentions of Mr. Tanaka. Anyone who is reading this book, or has previously read this book, may feel free to post comments or questions in this discussion. Please do not spoil anything!

Angela Tyler Read slowly- if you are anything like me, you will be DEVASTATED when you finish this book, lol.

message 3: by Jai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jai I read the book and I actually loved it. It is a look into Japanese culture and the world of the geisha.

Jeanine Celentano Loved the book. It is a culture I am glad I was not a part of.
I cried through most of it.

Monica I will not spoil this jewel for u. But it is an awesome read. One of my top five books. Enjoy and when u r done start a discussion i would love to talk about it

Angela Nock This is a beautiful book. It made a deep impact on my life!

Ellie Contursi This was a wonderful book. The movie is just ok. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I suggest it all the time. (I'm a librarian)

message 8: by Geoffrey (last edited Nov 14, 2014 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Geoffrey I read the book on the recommendation and persistence of a colleague whose reading tastes nor personality I particularly liked, but gave it a dare. I'm glad I did as I found the novel one of the best reads in the last decade.
The sociological background on the geisha culture and how it very well weaved in the story was much to Golden's credit. I regret only that he hasn't written another.

Jeanine Celentano Ellie wrote: "This was a wonderful book. The movie is just ok. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I suggest it all the time. (I'm a librarian)"

I am head of circulation and data entry in a library.

Vesna I was watching movie a long time ago, but the book is fantastic. I realy enjoy it. Story about Chio is fantastic, sometimes is very cruel and sad ( For me it is when she and her sister failed to escape and safe themselves) :(

message 11: by Dani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dani Byrne I have read it 3 times now. sad, but that is reality too...excellent storytelling. Enthralling story.

Loureign Nice story. This book brings me to Japan. ^_^

Kevin Read I was recommended this by a friend, I am usually a man that loves thrillers and action, on reading this book I was blown away by the authors descriptions of a time and place that doesn't exist as once it did, I felt transported into the story and was sad when I finished it in a couple of days.

Jeffery Lee Radatz I really enjoyed this book...I will not spoil it for you, but I don't see how Mr. Tanaka can push someone into prostitution. Maybe the Japanese culture is way different than American culture. It would be like encouraging your daughter to be a call girl.

Gretchen I loved this book soooooo much!!!! I really should re-read it, again and again! It's fun hearing about it from someone who has never read it before. Have fun and enjoy!!

Jeanine Celentano Kevin wrote: "I was recommended this by a friend, I am usually a man that loves thrillers and action, on reading this book I was blown away by the authors descriptions of a time and place that doesn't exist as o..."

DITTO!

Jenni Boyd Okay so maybe I have been living in a cave, as I had no idea this was made into a movie, I loved the book, but from what I have read of the posts, some books unless handled carefully, should never be made into a movie.

Jeanine Celentano Jenni wrote: "Okay so maybe I have been living in a cave, as I had no idea this was made into a movie, I loved the book, but from what I have read of the posts, some books unless handled carefully, should never ..."

Exactly

Sarah This is one of the few books I would read again and again.

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Feb 25, 2015 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah Jenni wrote: "Okay so maybe I have been living in a cave, as I had no idea this was made into a movie, I loved the book, but from what I have read of the posts, some books unless handled carefully, should never ..."

...and this is one of them in my humble opinion - the film did not do it justice.

Jeanine Celentano Sarah wrote: "Jenni wrote: "Okay so maybe I have been living in a cave, as I had no idea this was made into a movie, I loved the book, but from what I have read of the posts, some books unless handled carefully,..."

I agree

Nichola St. Anthony I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that a man wrote this book. The point of view is so profoundly female that it blows my mind every time!

Ellie Contursi I agree. The author did an incredible job.