The White Plague The White Plague discussion

Books that should be movies

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Since Hollywood is hung up on making and remaking old comic books, I think we should help them with some suggestions. Two books that I've read recently that would make excellent movies:

The White Plague
Frank Herbert

Plum Island
Nelson Demille

message 2: by Feliks (new) - added it

Feliks Agree, anything by Herbert would be very powerful. I vote for 'Hellstrom's Hive'.

But Hollywood is chickenshyt these days. Too wimpy to make anything really daring. This comic book trend is the most gutless cowardice I've ever seen.

message 3: by James (new)

James I know- comics were cool when we were 12 but now?

I read a few graphic novels in college.

But there too much good fiction lying around. They don't have to constantly crank out the Bravo Sierra.

Scott Not sure why people are talking about all sorts of other books but...

Eco-activism has been the subject of a number of movies recently, so The White Plague would not be a far-fetched idea.

message 5: by Adam (last edited Nov 06, 2014 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Adam Meek Is the White Plague eco-activism? I remember it being about a mad scientist who engineered a disease that killed only women because the IRA killed his wife. Of course terrorism has been the subject of a number of films as well.

It would be easier to adapt to the screen than Dune, being set in present-day America and Britain.

message 6: by Feliks (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:24PM) (new) - added it

Feliks It'll never get made if any hint of misogyny can be perceived in it.

Scott thecryptile wrote: "Is the White Plague eco-activism?"

No but I don't like the term "eco-terrorism" when applied to just causes (as they were in The East and Night Moves.)

The plague didn't kill women but rendered all females (or was it males?) sterile, human and otherwise.

If Children of Men can get a movie I don't see why this couldn't.

message 8: by William (last edited Nov 07, 2014 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

William Hayashi Scott wrote: "thecryptile wrote: "Is the White Plague eco-activism?"

No but I don't like the term "eco-terrorism" when applied to just causes (as they were in The East and Night Moves.)

The plague didn't kill women but rendered all females (or was it males?) sterile, human and otherwise."

Actually, the Plague did kill women in the book, but did not render men sterile.

Personally, I would like to see an all-female production and director team do this adaptation.

WmH

Adam Meek Scott wrote: "The plague didn't kill women but rendered all females (or was it males?) sterile, human and otherwise..."

You're thinking of a different book. The White Plague did kill human women and only human women. Human males were the carriers.

It has nothing to do with environmentalism. The mad scientist character, John Roe O'Neill, wasn't trying to save the Earth. He was just out for vengeance plain and simple. O'Neill's wife was killed in an IRA bombing, so to take revenge he engineered the plague to make everyone he blamed feel the same pain. He only intended the plague to be released in the nations he felt were responsible: Ireland (IRA, duh), Great Britain (No oppressive Brits, no IRA) and Libya (supported the IRA). Of course, the plague doesn't stay contained.

Feliks wrote: "It'll never get made if any hint of misogyny can be perceived in it."

Misogyny wouldn't be the problem-- it would be the necrophilia and transphobia. When O'Neill goes to Ireland, he finds transvestite prostitutes and IRA types violating female corpses. This is described in a way that the PC-crowd would no doubt find "problematic".

Not to mention that Africa is seeded with radioactive cobalt and essentially written off.

Scott thecryptile wrote: "You're thinking of a different book. The White Plague did kill human women and only human women. Human males were the carriers."

I don't think I am. Perhaps it mutated later but it was originally designed to cause sterility. And I distinctly recall that while it was only intended to affect humans, it later spread to animals.

It has nothing to do with environmentalism.

I didn't say it did. However, it does have to do with eco-catastrophe, which was the extension I was making.

message 11: by James (last edited Nov 08, 2014 02:56PM) (new)

James Plot synopsis:

I just finished the book and it seems there was some confusion or some people merged plots of other thrillers in their minds.

He goes home, liquidates his assets and creates a biological weapon that wipes out only women.

He then releases this horror on Ireland, England and Libya because Ireland is practicing terrorism, England is complicit in it and Libya is training and arming them.

The plague is universally fatal to HUMAN females and men can be carriers.

He spread the plague with contaminated money in the target areas and then sent letters under the pen name "the Madman" to the media and goverenment. His aim was make the targets international pariahs and strictly quarantined.

Eventually the guilt of his crime drove the man completely insane. He gave the good guys information needed to stop the plague.

Doubledf99.99 Scott wrote: "Not sure why people are talking about all sorts of other books but...

Eco-activism has been the subject of a number of movies recently, so The White Plague would not be a far-fetched idea."

You have my apologies..