BookTube 2018! discussion

Archive > BookTube Video Ideas

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Hey guys so what are some really creative booktube video ideas?

Let's get creative!!!!

message 2: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneybooks) | 23 comments Well for this month you could do Christmas Book Recommendations which is what I did, if you want to check it out on my channel, here is a link:

http://youtu.be/EvyVGFucQLM

message 3: by Kayla Rayne (new)

Kayla Rayne (kaylarayne) I did an original Glee Book Tag that everyone is welcome to do! If you like Glee (like I do) this is a fun way to celebrate the final season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKVcv...

message 4: by Kayla Rayne (new)

Kayla Rayne (kaylarayne) Kate wrote: "You could always do a video on how to get out of a reading slump. Those are always helpful.

You could even do one on how to take down the infamous TBR pile. It's always fun to watch those."

Like a book hangover cure video! Awesome idea!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenblue) I think I might do a Book Hangover Cure video as well! That is an awesome idea.

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan I actually just did a video since April is National Poetry month, where I shared some things in poetry that I enjoy: 1) a poem, 2) a poet, and 3) something poetic (really could be anything you want for that last one). You can check it out here if you want to see exactly what I did: https://youtu.be/NvPPlan7YS8

Just an idea in case any of you want to do something with poetry this month!

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick | 4 comments Nathan wrote: "I actually just did a video since April is National Poetry month, where I shared some things in poetry that I enjoy: 1) a poem, 2) a poet, and 3) something poetic (really could be anything you want..."

I really like your idea. Thus,I am going to use your idea for my next video!!!

message 8: by sarah song (new)

sarah song (yallaremuggles) | 2 comments I think the Book Sacrifice Tag is a really good tag to just rant about books you hate. I don't know, I just really like it.

message 9: by sarah song (new)

sarah song (yallaremuggles) | 2 comments Kayla Rayne wrote: "I did an original Glee Book Tag that everyone is welcome to do! If you like Glee (like I do) this is a fun way to celebrate the final season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKVcv..."

I really like your tag! I think I'll do it as well(I will of course give credit).

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the book hangover cure

message 11: by Abby (new)

Abby Goldsmith (abby_goldsmith) | 2 comments I like the idea of a Book Sacrifice for unfortunate books.

So, I'm not an active booktuber, but I'm considering making animated book reviews, read by woodland critters (in funny voices). If you were to watch an animated book review, what would most hold your interest?

I really want to be a booktuber. But as an author, I'm afraid to make any negative reviews too public. Hence the animation idea (I'm also an animator, handy with Flash).

Also, does anyone do debates about a particular book? Like, recording Google Hangouts with multiple people--one who loved the book and one who hated it? Would you find those potentially more entertaining than single reviewers?

message 12: by M.L. (new)

M.L. (margieee) | 2 comments Abby,
I agree that if you write you have to be careful about giving negative reviews. I thought I was the only one to worry about that. I'm thinking of taking down some of my reviews because of that. But as a reader I also feel like I should be honest about books that I find poorly written/edited. I appreciate it when I've read a review that has specifics so I can use my reading time well. What a unique idea you have for solving that dilemma.

The Book Sacrifice idea is a little risky. Who doesn't like a bit of sarcasm, cutting remarks? But it can go bad very quickly...

I would like to see an animated book review (I have no talent along those lines, myself.) You could have several animated characters - cute animals - with each of them reading a different genre. Or you could go with caricatures of people: a "Louella Parsons" (for tell-all bios), a "Sherlock Holmes/Dr Watson" (for mysteries),Dr Jeckyl (for sci fi), etc.

Your other idea is rather good, too. Like a "He said, She said" only not gender based. One particularly heated exchange could be a review of the Shades of Gray book (which I haven't read) or other books with the same level of controversy. Then you can distance yourself a little from the negativity.

Let us know on this thread when/if you're able to transfer the idea into reality so we can see your creation.

The Reading Writing Puppet Abby wrote: "I like the idea of a Book Sacrifice for unfortunate books.

So, I'm not an active booktuber, but I'm considering making animated book reviews, read by woodland critters (in funny voices). If you ..."

I would watch an animated book review. I wanted to do that, but I'm not an animator, so I did my channel with a puppet. Hence the name The Puppet. But after a while, it was really hard to film with th e puppet so I just started being in front of the camera. Once I fix my puppet, because she isn't well made, I may do videos with both of us, since the channel name is The Puppet and I did want something different. There's a husband and wife team, that are writers who also do youtube videos once in a while with puppets - it's really cute. I didn't know about them - until after I started my channel. Sorry to go on and on, but yeah, I would watch that. :) And I'm also a writer - just a side note. lol. :)

message 14: by Abby (new)

Abby Goldsmith (abby_goldsmith) | 2 comments Thanks for the support! Animation does require a lot of work, but I'd take every shortcut possible: Have the animal sitting at desk, automate the lip sync, and put blinks on a loop. All I'd really need to do move the eyebrows and head for emphasis, and adjust errors in the lip sync. It sounds like fun. I don't think I'll get to it soon--I have too many projects I'm juggling at the moment.

As for a Love vs. Hate book review channel -- It occurs to me that I could avoid the author-who-gives-negative-reviews problem by always being the positive person. I'd choose books that I gave 5 stars to, and seek out a reviewer who gave it 1 star. Then have a public debate. :-D Although that could be intimidating, boring, or hit or miss.

I'm thinking of taking down some of my reviews because of that. But as a reader I also feel like I should be honest about books that I find poorly written/edited.

M.L., I'm 100% in agreement. I've written about 100 reviews, and now I'm reconsidering all of the negative ones. I don't know if I'll go back and change them, but recently, I gave 3 stars to a popular award-nominated book when I wanted to give it 1 star. At first it, felt dishonest. Then I tried to imagine that the author was my best friend, or someone I really cared about. I ended up giving it a positive spin and feeling good about it.

So I'll try that approach in the future. Being so positive doesn't come naturally to me, but I hope I can change! My new rule is 3 star minimum to books written by living authors. If I make the mistake of picking up a travesty that I can't give more than 2 stars to, even if it was written by my best friend, then I just won't review it. I'll pretend I never read it (or tried to read it, as the case may be).