Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Your vote for best horror 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I haven't decided yet but I'm particularly curious about other's write-in votes.

message 2: by Char (new)

Char  | 13911 comments Mod
Hmmm...I haven't looked yet.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments I voted for Code Zero, by Jonathan Maberry.

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10850 comments Mod
I voted for Prince Lestat. I love Anne Rice and I'll stay loyal to her.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 256 comments Corrosion by Jon Bassoff was my favorite horror read of the year. However, it wasn't published in 2014.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I voted for Rogue - Greg F. Gifune.

message 7: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Corrosion has been at the top of my list since its release but I haven't read it yet. Shame on me. I think I have Rogue too from the Darkfuse club. I might try to squeeze that in before voting.

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve I voted for Suffer the Children by Craig DiLouie.

message 9: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2980 comments Mod
I voted for The Girl With All the Gifts. I thought it was really good with a unique take on a popular theme, and the ending was jaw-droppingly good.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments I voted for Winter People.

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments I haven't read any of them! I have Bird Box and The Last Town on my Kindle so I will try and get them read so I can say I am current on something. Anne and Christopher Rice are coming to our book fest in february so i have to wait til them so i can get a signed copies of Prince Lestat

message 12: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I went with Bird Box!

message 13: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6525 comments Kate wrote: "I voted for Rogue - Greg F. Gifune."

Best I've read this year! I wrote it in too.

message 14: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments I voted for The Troop by Nick Cutter

message 15: by Nate (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments Unfortunately, I hadn't read many of the nominees. I wrote in the Bird Eater The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn by Ania Ahlborn. Didn't like the title, but I loved the book.

I was bummed to see that The Last Town The Last Town (The Wayward Pines, #3) by Blake Crouch was included in the Horror category. I loved that trilogy but thought of it more as sci-fi.

message 16: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) | 47 comments Wendyb wrote: "I voted for The Girl With All the Gifts. I thought it was really good with a unique take on a popular theme, and the ending was jaw-droppingly good."

I agree Wendy, The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey The Girl with All the Gifts gets my vote!

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (laundry_piles) | 7 comments I voted Bird Box! The whole premise of that book is just downright creepy. Good read.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Ken wrote: "Kate wrote: "I voted for Rogue - Greg F. Gifune."

Best I've read this year! I wrote it in too."

Nice. :)

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments I actually rejoined this group after seeing the nominees. I don't care for the super graphic horror stories with scenes of torture, etc. and so I didn't think I was necessarily a horror fan. I like somewhat creepy and love suspense, but after realizing I had actually read and enjoyed several of the nominated books...I decided maybe my views of "horror" were just too narrow. I really enjoyed The City by Dean Koontz -- and I know horror is what he is known for, but I wouldn't have placed this book in that category.

I also enjoyed The Winter People, but ended up voting for The Girl with All the Gifts. For me, it was the one I had the most difficulty putting down. Just one more chapter, just one more page...

message 20: by Robert (last edited Nov 06, 2014 01:58PM) (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I wrote in Sunblind by Michael McBride

message 21: by Brian (new)

Brian Corrigan | 11 comments I voted for Forsaken Forsaken (Shadow Cove Saga #1) by J.D. Barker by J.D. Barker. It's a strong first novel with a little help from King.

message 22: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mpontiff) | 127 comments Agree with Robert. I loved Rogue by Gifune but Sunblind is one of the best books that I've ever read.

message 23: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Henderson | 54 comments I voted for the Winter People too

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments I voted The Troop for the second round.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Ugh, I've failed by not reading any new horror published this year

message 26: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Erin ~ (Fall Weather + Books=♥) wrote: "Ugh, I've failed by not reading any new horror published this year"

I failed by missing the write in deadline so I'm leaning toward The Troop.

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) | 137 comments I voted birdbox the polt was ridiculously good a book like that deserves to win.

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (laundry_piles) | 7 comments I'm still sticking with Birdbox in the second round.

message 29: by Robert (last edited Nov 11, 2014 07:12PM) (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I voted for Birdbox in the second round, since my write-in for the first round did not advance. I might end up liking The Wolf in Winter or Code Zero better (actually, I'm sure I'll love Wolf in Winter, because the whole series is amazing), but I am behind in both series, since I ration them so I don't run out of books to read in the series (yeah, weird, I know...)

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 252 comments I do that too sometimes if I'm into a series I really like.

message 31: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Man, I have only read one of the finalists. Crazy. There are only 4 or 5 total that I am interested in reading of the remaining books. I haven't even heard of a few of them and a few don't even look like horror at all.

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 252 comments Don't feel too bad Bill, because there was only one of them that I knew also.

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments Bill wrote: "Man, I have only read one of the finalists. Crazy. There are only 4 or 5 total that I am interested in reading of the remaining books. I haven't even heard of a few of them and a few don't even loo..."

I read three of them and didn't think of any of them as horror.

message 34: by Myst (new)

Myst | 401 comments I only read Prince Lestat out of the horror category and the only thing horrifying about it was how dull of a read it was.

Of all the categories I've read surprisingly few of the books. Only 4. And there's only 4 others I have on my tbr list for next year once I catch up on the series.

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 256 comments Peter wrote: "I voted for Forsaken Forsaken by J.D. Barker by J.D. Barker. It's a strong first novel with a little help from King."

I happen to be reading Forsaken now.

message 36: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I've only read two of the finalists and neither was best horror of the year so I may have to abstain from the last round. I feel awkward voting for one of the two that I gave 3 stars to.

message 37: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments The Troop got less than 1000 votes. I'm surprised. So, who has read Prince Lestat. Anyone?

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments I read four of the finalists, gave up on two more, and have two more on hold at the library. Disappointed Prince Lestat won as I've heard terrible things about it.

message 39: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6525 comments Michael wrote: "I read four of the finalists, gave up on two more, and have two more on hold at the library. Disappointed Prince Lestat won as I've heard terrible things about it."

I heard Anne Rice wrote it. Thats all the bad news I needed to hear about it.

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Ken wrote: "Michael wrote: "I read four of the finalists, gave up on two more, and have two more on hold at the library. Disappointed Prince Lestat won as I've heard terrible things about it."

I heard Anne Ri..."
Ouch, but spot on...

message 41: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I haven't found a horror-genre book released in 2014 that I want to read; maybe 2015 will be a better year.

message 42: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments I get that these polls are a popularity contest versus an actual great book winning certain categories, but it still makes me wonder how many people really read Prince Lestat. It got almost 22,000 votes but only has a little over 2000 GR ratings while the runner up The Girl With All the Gifts had almost 20,000 votes and 16,000+ GR ratings. Hmmmmm.

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments P.S. I only read one the nominees this year and that one was knocked out in the first round so I did not vote again. Doesn't make sense to vote on a "best of" list, if I haven't actually read it.

message 44: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Bill wrote: "I get that these polls are a popularity contest versus an actual great book winning certain categories, but it still makes me wonder how many people really read Prince Lestat. It got almost 22,000 ..."

Almost my entire friends list consists of fellow Horror Aficionados and I don't know anyone who read Prince Lestat this year.

message 45: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6525 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Almost my entire friends list consists of fellow Horror Aficionados and I don't know anyone who read Prince Lestat this year..."

Ditto. I have 5 of 571 friends that have read the book. Almost all of my friends are from this group and there are some heavy hitters in there in terms of horror knowledge. There is one glowing review, one meh review and three that flush it. A book of the year that does not make!

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 252 comments Holly wrote: "I haven't found a horror-genre book released in 2014 that I want to read; maybe 2015 will be a better year."

Me neither!

message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Ken wrote: "11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Almost my entire friends list consists of fellow Horror Aficionados and I don't know anyone who read Prince Lestat this year..."

Ditto. I have 5 of 571 friends that have rea..."
I wonder if what happens is that since voting is open to everyone, people who don't really read horror just see her name and vote for her? I know it sounds absurd, but it doesn't make sense otherwise.

message 48: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Michael wrote: "I wonder if what happens is that since voting is open to everyone, people who don't really read horror just see her name and vote for her? I know it sounds absurd, but it doesn't make sense otherwise..."

That's what I was thinking.

message 49: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6525 comments It reminds me of the MLB All Star voting. Players that have been injured for the entire season get elected by the low info electorate.

Sounds like Washington DC.

message 50: by Char (new)

Char  | 13911 comments Mod
I'm thinking that's exactly it. Those unfamiliar with real horror authors vote for the name they recognize.
Sort of like politics.

« previous 1