Cozy Mysteries discussion

I love Mysteries OMG!!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 168) (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 8 comments I am obsessed with Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie novels in particular. Anyone else?? I was buying way too many paper books so I bought an ebook device which can hold hundreds of books so that's made my life a LOT easier!! What do you guys think of ebooks?? I think it's good for books you want to read but don't want to pay a bunch for or need a paper copy of. I only buy a paper copy if I want to hold onto the book forever and my bookshelves at home can't fit anymore haha

message 2: by Toni (new)

Toni berkshire (starcookiecomcastnet) | 23 comments oh, yes - got hooked on Hercule Poirot when a magazine printed an excerpt from one of the books. Eventually, a friend and I read every Agatha Christie book, including some she had written under a pen name. To be Miss Marple has always been my goal.I loved Sherlock Holmes until Jeremy Brett started portraying him in the t.v. series. Now, he just seems obnoxious.

message 3: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 8 comments I think that Basil Rathbone was the best Holmes, the new movie with Robert Downey Jr as Holmes is going to be awful I'm sure.
Miss Marple is cute but Hercule Poirot is my fav detective in the Agatha Christie novels, he is so funny! Gotta love Belgians. Did you ever watch the show "Poirot"? I love watching the episodes almost as much as reading the books.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 40 comments Mary Catherine wrote: "I am obsessed with Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie novels in particular. Anyone else?? I was buying way too many paper books so I bought an ebook device which can hold hundreds of books so that..."

Hi Mary Catherine. I love e-books too. I use the e-book reader from E-bookwise, a Fictionwise company because it is backlit, very handy for travel or reading in bed when I don't want the light shining in my hubby's eyes.

Also, I am a cozy paranormal mystery author...tradtional, not self-published. I write the Shannon Delaney paranormal mystery novel series. When I went looking for a publisher, I focused on publishers that publish in e-book format and paperback. I was very lucky that the 2nd publisher I proposed my series to offered me a contract... my pub.: Write Words, Inc has two imprints: Cambridge Books for paperback and E Books on the Net for e-books. I feel that e-books are not meant to replace hand-held books, but for those of us who appreciate the technonlgy, e-books are a real boost to our bookshelves, for so many myriad reasons.

www.ElizabethEaganCox.net

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Malmquist | 224 comments Mary Catherine wrote: "I am obsessed with Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie novels in particular. Anyone else?? I was buying way too many paper books so I bought an ebook device which can hold hundreds of books so that..."I know what you mean about all the paperback books! But there's something about having the book in hand that I really like. I thought about the ebook thing and its sounds absolutely wonderful, maybe I'll ask for that for Christmas!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 40 comments Lisa wrote: "Mary Catherine wrote: "I am obsessed with Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie novels in particular. Anyone else?? I was buying way too many paper books so I bought an ebook device which can hold hu..."

Lisa...I asked for my E-bookwise e-reader for Christmas last year...I love that Santa paid attention and got it for me

message 7: by Toni (new)

Toni berkshire (starcookiecomcastnet) | 23 comments Mary Catherine wrote: "I think that Basil Rathbone was the best Holmes, the new movie with Robert Downey Jr as Holmes is going to be awful I'm sure.
Miss Marple is cute but Hercule Poirot is my fav detective in the Agat..."

I agree that Basil Rathbone was the best and most believable in the part. Hercule is great, but Agatha became very annoyed with him.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Malmquist | 224 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Mary Catherine wrote: "I am obsessed with Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie novels in particular. Anyone else?? I was buying way too many paper books so I bought an ebook device whic..."
Yeah maybe is he listened so well to you I might be able to get his attentiona s well!

message 9: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 8 comments sir authur conan doyle became annoyed with the character of holmes as well, no author wants to write about the same character over and over haha

message 10: by Toni (new)

Toni berkshire (starcookiecomcastnet) | 23 comments Mary Catherine wrote: "sir authur conan doyle became annoyed with the character of holmes as well, no author wants to write about the same character over and over haha" Good one! Bet you are right. Familiarity does not breed fondness!

message 11: by Duffy (new)

Duffy  (McDuff) Sherlock Holmes was obnoxious; I've worked for some scientists who were almost as snobby. Which is probably why I prefer Jeremy. I got annoyed with the WWII Basil/Sherlock but the movie studios were to blame for that. But speaking of Jeremy, that series treated the Watson character with alot more respect then the Basil movies. But my hands down, favorite Christie character is Miss Marple. Does any one read Anne Perry's books? My husband couldn't understand why I didn't want to watch the TV Monk series; I've totally immersed myself in Perry's Monk series. I'm almost done re-reading William and Hester's books for the 2nd time. And then there are the Tudor mystery writers of Karen Harper and Fiona Buckley. Also want to try the Lovejoy mysteries and some of Ellis Peters. Gee I guess I'm sorta stuck on British mystery writers ... :-)

message 12: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 8 comments the british have the best writers hands down, shakespeare being a huge part of that

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Toni wrote: "Mary Catherine wrote: "sir authur conan doyle became annoyed with the character of holmes as well, no author wants to write about the same character over and over haha" Good one! Bet you are right..."

Sir ACD actually killed Holmes off at one point and then had to bring him back because of reader demand.

message 14: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) | 8 comments yes, i read the one where he killed holmes. it was poorly written compared to the other stories... but then he brought him back to life and wrote more. same with agatha christie, both authors wrote more because the $$ was too good since there was such high demand

message 15: by Duffy (new)

Duffy  (McDuff) I just hope that Evanovich doesn't get tired of Stephanie. When I need a Lite Mystery, I thoroughly enjoy all of the Plums (the in-between shorties not so much). Making Stephanie a bride would be a nice way to end that series.

message 16: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Duffy wrote: "I just hope that Evanovich doesn't get tired of Stephanie. When I need a Lite Mystery, I thoroughly enjoy all of the Plums (the in-between shorties not so much). Making Stephanie a bride would be a..."

I've said this before, I would love to see Stephanie with Ranger rather than Joe. But I don't think Stephanie getting married would have to end the series.

message 17: by Barb (new)

Barb (writebarb) | 15 comments I'm glad to hear the positive comments about ebook readers. I've been contemplating asking for one for Christmas (I'd get little else, due to the cost) and this has helped me decide.

I haven't read Agatha Christie or Sherlock for years. I really should...Too many books....

I would rather see Stephanie with Joe also. There is something too creepy about Joe, especially given their past. Marriage might throw some interesting plots in to the stories.

message 18: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5133 comments I know I am WAY in the minority here, maybe an island unto myself, but I never liked Agatha Christie books and THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES was the only Sherlock Holmes I was ever able to finish. I read MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS for some class and it was the only Agatha Christie I ever finished. I do love Stephanie Plum, but I prefer her with Joe. Ranger will never settle down with anyone.

message 19: by Barb (new)

Barb (writebarb) | 15 comments Maybe Stephanie will meet some new guy and fall head over heals--leaving both Ranger and Joe behind.

Does anyone remember Ellery Queen? I loved those magazines as a kid and totally forgot about them until now!

Duffy, I've never read Anne Perry. Isn't there a movie about her childhood...an older movie?

message 20: by Betty (last edited Sep 28, 2009 09:54AM) (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 116 comments Yes, the movie was called "Heavenly Creatures". Not sure about the release date, but sometime in the mid-90s.

I loved those Ellery Queen magazines, too!

message 21: by Batya (new)

Batya (CatSmile) | 6 comments Melodie wrote: "I know I am WAY in the minority here, maybe an island unto myself, but I never liked Agatha Christie books and THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES was the only Sherlock Holmes I was ever able to finish. ..."

I don't like to read Christie myself. I've always felt that she cheated, by omitting some detail without which one could not figure out who the murderer was. Yet I can watch the various movies and t.v. series made from her books.

Have you read any of Patricia Wentworth's mysteries? She was writing about the same time as Christie, and she has a Miss Marple-like character, a "private inquiry agent," Miss Silver. There are similarities between the two writers, but I love Wentworth's books. To me they are superior to Christie.

message 22: by Barb (new)

Barb (writebarb) | 15 comments I'll have to try some of Patricia Wentworth's books.

message 23: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5133 comments Batya wrote: "Have you read any of Patricia Wentworth's mysteries? She was writing about the same time as Christie, and she has a Miss Marple-like character, a "private inquiry agent," Miss Silver. There are similarities between the two writers, but I love Wentworth's books. To me they are superior to Christie.."

Are they British mysteries, too? I'm not much for British mysteries, unless they're contemporary hardboiled. British cozies put me to sleep!

message 24: by Batya (new)

Batya (CatSmile) | 6 comments Melodie wrote: "Batya wrote: "Have you read any of Patricia Wentworth's mysteries? She was writing about the same time as Christie, and she has a Miss Marple-like character, a "private inquiry agent," Miss Silver...."

You would hate Patricia Wentworth then. Her books are the quintessential British cozy. I can't read the contemporary hard-boiled mysteries. Thank goodness there's something for every taste.

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate | 70 comments Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver has Agatha Christie's Miss Marple beat twenty times over! I always thought that Christie's characters are rather one-dimensional, but the characterization in the Miss Silver series is so much better. I own them all!

message 26: by Batya (new)

Batya (CatSmile) | 6 comments Kate wrote: "Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver has Agatha Christie's Miss Marple beat twenty times over! I always thought that Christie's characters are rather one-dimensional, but the characterization in the M..."

Another Miss Silver fan--hooray! You've made my day! You really own them all, even the early ones? I haunt used bookstores and library sales, and I've ordered from amazon.uk. I've found and purchased the majority, but those early ones are eluding me.

message 27: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 4 comments Here's another Miss Silver fan. Many were republished 20 or so years ago,and I got bought all available ones at B. Dalton's bookstore. Love them!

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate | 70 comments Batya wrote: "Kate wrote: "Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver has Agatha Christie's Miss Marple beat twenty times over! I always thought that Christie's characters are rather one-dimensional, but the characteriza..."

I've been collecting Miss Silver books for over twenty years -- it wasn't easy, but as far as I know, I own them all. I'm so far behind on entering my books on Library Thing that I can't swear to it, but I think I do! You used to be able to find them at used book stores every now & then, but I haven't seen one in years!

message 29: by Batya (new)

Batya (CatSmile) | 6 comments I discovered Patricia Wentworth 6 or 7 years ago, when I found one of her books at a library book sale. I've always been an anglophile and I could tell the book had been published in the UK, so I picked it up. Addictions are formed just that easily. At the next library book sale (twice a year, thank goodness) I found a few more. Miss Silver books became the only thing I looked for at the sale, though I did pick up other British cozies (or cosies, if we spell it by British spelling rules) in my search (I was pleasantly surprised that Georgette Heyer wrote mysteries, not just bodice rippers!). I found a website that listed all Wentworths' books and found that her earliest books did not feature Miss Silver. I soon found one of these and it did not disappoint. When I found only a limited number of Wentworth's books on Amazon.com, I switched to Amazon.uk and was able to buy a bunch more, because they had been re-released a few years ago. So I think it is those early, non-Miss Silver books that I am missing.
Here's a link: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/p...

It's not the original listing I found, but it seems to have all her books listed. Maybe those of us who love her should start a Miss Silver section. I'm so happy to have found others who've read her.

message 30: by Batya (new)

Batya (CatSmile) | 6 comments Hooray! See my previous post in reply to Kate. Long live Miss Silver!

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate | 70 comments Batya wrote: "I discovered Patricia Wentworth 6 or 7 years ago, when I found one of her books at a library book sale. I've always been an anglophile and I could tell the book had been published in the UK, so I p..."

I'd be for starting a Miss Silver section!

And I don't think Georgette Heyer's books are bodice rippers. Regency romances, yes, but not in the bodice ripper class (did any bodices actually get ripped in her books? I can't remember any that did.) I love her books -- both the mysteries and the romances. I discovered her in high school and have been reading her ever since!

message 32: by Batya (new)

Batya (CatSmile) | 6 comments My apologies for lumping Georgette Heyer's regency romances in with bodice rippers. I do love her mysteries and wish she had written more. "Death in the Stocks" is one of favorite mysteries of all.

message 33: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (sevenmoonlight) | 139 comments I have never even heard of Patricia Wentworth - looks like I will be soon though. Miss Silver and these books sound fascinating.

Thank you all for bringing her up. I love finding new mysteries to get into.

AF. Heart
http://mysterysuspence.blogspot.com/

Kate wrote: "Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver has Agatha Christie's Miss Marple beat twenty times over! I always thought that Christie's characters are rather one-dimensional, but the characterization in the M..."

message 34: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8228 comments Mod
When people denigrate romance by calling them "bodice rippers" they denigrate all genres of writing, not just romance. Those type of covers went out with the 80s; it'd be nice if the negative epithets could as well. Just saying.

message 35: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5133 comments Heather wrote: "When people denigrate romance by calling them "bodice rippers" they denigrate all genres of writing, not just romance. Those type of covers went out with the 80s; it'd be nice if the negative epith..."

I've never considered the term "bodice ripper" to be denigrating. Just saying.

message 36: by Kay (new)

Kay Mitchell (kaisymitchellgmailcom) | 6 comments Kate wrote: "Batya wrote: "I discovered Patricia Wentworth 6 or 7 years ago, when I found one of her books at a library book sale. I've always been an anglophile and I could tell the book had been published in ..."
Love Miss Silver, love Georgette Heyer both the mysteries and the romances...they all make me smile.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lissieb7) | 80 comments I started reading Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle this year and have fallen in love. I can't wait to read more. I have a Georgette Heyer book in my TBR and am glad to hear that so many of you like her work. I am definitely putting Patricia Wentworth on the list of authors to find and read. I'm really curious about her Miss Silver books thanks to all of you. I love finding new authors and new characters to love!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2424 comments Not to get off track, but I see a lot of Agatha Christie references here. Anyone else watching the Masterpiece Mystery's this year on PBS with Ms. Marple and Poirot? They started a week of so ago and run through July.

message 39: by Heather L (last edited Jun 07, 2010 08:27AM) (new)

Heidi ~ I caught The Mirror Crack'd a couple weeks ago. Had lines from the poem in my head for a week after.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2424 comments I have my DVR ready to record tonights Ms. Marple. Super excited :) Glad someone else is watching them too!

message 41: by Heather L (last edited Jun 07, 2010 08:29AM) (new)

I missed this week's - our local PBS station showed it early afternoon when I wasn't home, as the rest of the day was their auction. I'd have rather had a good movie to watch last night.

BTW, Heidi, I meant to tell you a while back and forgot that I did like the ending of Lost in Austen. Might have to look for that on DVD!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2424 comments Heather I loved Lost in Austen. Do you have Netflix? You can watch it for free online on Netflix anytime. p.s. You can also watch the Masterpiece Mystery's free online at PBS.org Also, I am also pretty sure they re-play them overnight during the week, so check your local listings. My PBS station had two of the Ms. Marples mysteries on last night, not sure why, but they were on at weird times. Now I have Pocketful of Rye and They Do It With Mirrors to watch on my DVR. Yeah!

message 43: by Heather L (new)

Lucky you! I was just going to check local listings and see if they are (re)showing any of the Agatha Christies this week. No Netflix, though I have been thinking about it since giving up cable.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2424 comments Heather- my hubby and I have a roku player and we stream Netflix shows and movies all the time. In fact, we use it more than the actual cable. I think it is well worth the $8/month for Netflix (plus we get movies in the mail). Do you have a game system (Wii, PS3, X-box) or a tv or dvd with the roku built in? We don't, so we bought our Roku player separately. p.s. I am pretty sure Masterpiece Mystery replays at like 12:30 a.m. some night this week. Hope you find it or watch it online :)

message 45: by Heather L (new)

No, no gaming system and no roku. In fact, when I gave up cable I had to buy a cheap antenna to go with the HD converter box a friend gave me (she bought it, then realized she didn't need it) as my TV was made a year or two before they started manufacturing the HD ones (Doesn't that figure!).

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2424 comments Well, you can always buy one on Amazon Heather. That is what we did :)

message 47: by Heather L (new)

Checked local listings - Pocket Full of Rye is indeed supposed to reair Tues night at 11pm, and I saw that this Sunday's episode is Murder Is Easy.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2424 comments Oh good! Hope you catch it :) I am off to bed to watch one of my two in my DVR.

message 49: by Misty (new)

Misty Dupuis | 69 comments Duffy wrote: "I just hope that Evanovich doesn't get tired of Stephanie. When I need a Lite Mystery, I thoroughly enjoy all of the Plums (the in-between shorties not so much). Making Stephanie a bride would be a..."

Okay, I know some of this thread is old, but I just read all of it! I have one of Evanovich's SP novels, but it isn't the first one. Is that a series you really need to start from the beginning? I don't want to start reading this book and wish I'd started from the beginning.

Oh, and I actually really liked Robert Downey, Jr. as Sherlock! :-) I haven't read a Holmes novel in years, and it made me want to read another one.

Okay, how's that for going WAY back in the thread?

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2424 comments Misty the series doesn't really have to be read in order, but I would def. read the first book so you know who all the characters are and how Stephanie got her job.

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Benevent Treasure (other topics)
Grounds for Murder (other topics)
Brewed, Crude and Tattooed (other topics)
Roast Mortem (other topics)
A Cup of Jo (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Carolyn G. Hart (other topics)
Michael Connelly (other topics)
Jenn McKinlay (other topics)