Mount TBR 2015 discussion

Level 3: Mt. Vancouver (36) > Jessika's Climb

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Oh boy. Well, I started 2014's challenge in July, and I am currently part-way through #15 out of 24 books (Mt. Blanc). I think I will be able to complete that, so in 2015, I'd like to start with Mt. Vancouver!

I'm trying to figure out how many books I added in 2014, but I keep getting confused by counting books that I've read in 2014 that didn't sit in my TBR mountain for very long, and ebooks that I keep forgetting to add to my TBR list... but by my best guess, I've read 56 books this year, at least 14 of which counted toward my TBR challenge, and I've added around 80 more that I haven't read.

So as always, I'd like to try to keep my book buying/freebie ebook gathering to a minimum. (Keyword is TRY, I hardly ever stick with it!)

I think I'll try making some more shelves to organize and keep track of my books better for 2015. I'd like to know how many TBRs I'm adding, as well as how many I'm finishing.

Well, if you waded through all my ramblings, thanks for reading and add me as a friend if you like!

message 2: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Bwahaha, instead of writing for NaNoWriMo, I spent a few hours updating my GR bookshelves. I organized by when they were added to my TBR, made a shelf for Mount TBR 2014 and 2015 Challenges, and I also made sure to add my recent ebook freebies, something I'm always forgetting to do.

As it stands, here are my TBRs, according to the year they were added:
2014 - 82
2013 - 125
2012 - 60
2011 and before - 114

2011 is the year I joined GR, and I didn't keep track of when I bought specific books before then, so they just got all lumped together.

NOTE: This does NOT include the books I bought and DID read during the year, only the books still left sitting on my TBR mountain when the year came to a close!

Oh well, I love books and I don't feel bad about that! But this does give me some information about how many books I'm acquiring, which will hopefully remind me to be a little more discerning when buying books in the future.

message 3: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Jessika: Glad you were able to organize a bit so you'll know what TBRs you've got for the coming challenge. Good luck!

message 4: by Jessika (last edited Oct 24, 2015 01:30PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Tentative list, from which I'll realistically read only 5 or so books, but it's always fun for me to look through my stacks and pick out ones I think I want to read!

Reasons I picked these books:
1. Been on my list since 2011 or before
2. Low rating, but I want to find out for myself
3. Need to pick the series back up
4. "Gimmies" aka fast reads
5. Really, really, really want to read this book

Lost by Gregory Maguire (1, 2) The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd (1, 2, 4) Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (1, 4) Mattimeo (Redwall, #3) by Brian Jacques (1, 3) Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9) by Brian Jacques (1, 3) The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10) by Brian Jacques (1, 3) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (1, 5) First They Killed My Father A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers by Loung Ung (1, 5) The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (2) Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup (5) Zamba The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived by Ralph Helfer (5) Unfettered by Shawn Speakman (5)

DONE
Chasers of the Light Poems from the Typewriter Series by Tyler Knott Gregson (4, 5) The World of PostSecret by Frank Warren (4, 5) Frenzy (Dreamhouse Kings #6) by Robert Liparulo (3) Going Dark (Silo 49, #1) by Ann Christy (4) House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3) by Diana Wynne Jones (4, 5) The BackTracker by Milo James Fowler (4) The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4) by Brandon Sanderson (5) Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #2) by Chanda Hahn (3) Fable (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #3) by Chanda Hahn (3) Reign (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #4) by Chanda Hahn (3) The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold (1, 2) Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) by Lois Lowry (3) The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2) by L. Frank Baum (3) Messenger (The Giver, #3) by Lois Lowry (3) Son (The Giver Quartet, #4) by Lois Lowry (3) Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3) by L. Frank Baum (3) A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7) by Robert Jordan (1, 3) The Forever War (The Forever War, #1) by Joe Haldeman (5) The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8) by Robert Jordan (1, 3) Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (5) Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9) by Robert Jordan (1, 3) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (1, 5) Gwen Reaper by Jaz Primo (4) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (5)

message 5: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) I love how organized you are! I am feeling inspired!

message 6: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Haha, thanks! I hope I can stick to this list! Usually I make lists and then totally disregard them... hehe.

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) Goodness, you're the gal with the plan. I had to organize too. I ended up creating an Excel spreadsheet to track books I acquire so I don't double up and it works as a nice check off as I read them too. Not sure I'm disciplined enough to put together a chosen list ahead like yours.

Best of luck, Jessika!

message 8: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Sophia wrote: "Goodness, you're the gal with the plan. I had to organize too."

I'm a list maker, but that doesn't mean I always stick to the plan!

message 9: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 2014 Book Stats

Total read: 66
Counting for this challenge: 36
Hard copies: 38
E-Books: 28
Total added to TBR 2014: 103

2015 Goals

Total read: 70
Counting for this challenge: 36
Hard copies: 40
E-Books: 30
Total added to TBR 2015: 50

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Finished my first 2 books of the year! I really really wanted to read both of these books, so to hold myself off, I would let myself read just a few pages at a time in the last week of 2014 so that I could count it for this challenge. I was about 30% through each of these books as of last night.

Then, when it reached midnight, I read for an hour before going to bed. Woke up this morning and finished these 2. :)

I like to start off fast, that way I don't feel stressed when I start to fall behind in February and March...

1. The World of PostSecret by Frank Warren 5/5 stars, acquired 12/2014. If you've never read any PostSecret books, I highly recommend them. Basically, it's a project where people can share their deepest secrets and/or fears anonymously. Shame eats us up from inside out, and this is an outlet for that. If you are struggling with suicidal thoughts, depression, eating disorders, drug addictions, pick up one of these books and know that you are not alone!

2. Chasers of the Light Poems from the Typewriter Series by Tyler Knott Gregson 5/5 stars, acquired 11/2014. Book of poetry that came with my t-shirt order. Another great suicide prevention/support group to check out if you are interested. TWLOHA - To Write Love On Her Arms. I had a friend commit suicide in November 2009, and I always make a purchase from TWLOHA in November to remember him by.

message 11: by Zaara (new)

Zaara Wow...you're off to a rocking start...all the best Jess

message 12: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Thanks so much for the encouragement!

message 13: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 3. Frenzy (Dreamhouse Kings #6) by Robert Liparulo 4/5 stars, acquired 5/2013 as the final book in a series. A good ending, tying up most loose ends, but still leaving a few things to the imagination.

message 14: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 4. Going Dark (Silo 49, #1) by Ann Christy 3/5 stars, acquired 10/2014. Part of the WOOL universe. An enjoyable story, dealing with the overall "conspiracy" between the silos.

message 15: by Jessika (last edited Jan 10, 2015 02:09PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 5. House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3) by Diana Wynne Jones 4/5 stars, acquired 7/2014. Great story, I love Howl's Moving Castle! This is "book 2" but is really more like a companion novel. An easy read, geared toward middle grade, but adults can enjoy the humor in the dialogue more than a younger audience.

message 16: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 90 comments Good luck with your climb Jessika! :)

Hope you enjoy EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE, it's such a good book.

And I can't wait to read CHASERS OF THE LIGHT! Looks awesome.

message 17: by Jessika (last edited Jan 17, 2015 02:38PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 6. The BackTracker by Milo James Fowler 3/5 stars, acquired 8/2013. Short story with a little twist that was unexpected and enjoyable.

message 18: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 7. The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4) by Brandon Sanderson 4/5 stars, acquired 5/2013. I read the Mistborn Trilogy last year, and loved every second of it. This book is a sort of follow up to Mistborn, happening in the same world 300 years later. I definitely recommend reading the trilogy first before picking this one up, but this series is a MUST is you like fantasy!

message 19: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Broke down and went to a used book store yesterday. Traded in 4 books and came out with 10. Then, because I had already failed for the day, I went to the library and checked out 5 books... I was doing so well until yesterday!! Oh well. I've already ready 10 books this year (7 for this challenge) so what's another 15?

message 20: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Jessika wrote: "Broke down and went to a used book store yesterday. Traded in 4 books and came out with 10. Then, because I had already failed for the day, I went to the library and checked out 5 books... I was do..."

Jessika: I totally understand. I blame my graduate students...they gave me a gift certificate for Half-Price Books. I came home with six new-to-me books. But they don't count, right? Because I didn't actually buy them. They were gifts. But...it opened the gates. Just bought four from the Friends of the Library Bookstore (as well as bringing home a checked-out book). I know it's just the beginning....

message 21: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) so true, Bev, and it's only January!

message 22: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) Haha! Seven is good, Jessika.

I fell off the wagon too. I caught the Boxing Day sale at The Book Outlet and couldn't pass up the deals.

Maybe February we'll do better, right?

message 23: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 31 comments I love how you ranked and organized your books. Good luck on your journey!

message 24: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Sophia wrote: "Maybe February we'll do better, right?"

I hope so!

message 25: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Rebecca NJ wrote: "I love how you ranked and organized your books. Good luck on your journey!"

Thanks! I love to be organized, makes me feel like I have control over my piles of books instead of letting them control me!

message 26: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 8. Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #2) by Chanda Hahn 3/5 stars, acquired 11/2012 on kindle, 2nd in a series. I read the 1st book over 2 years ago, and I had trouble picking this one back up. Overall, I enjoyed it, but the high school drama got a little old. My fault, yet again, for reading YA! I thought there were only 2 more books in this series, but I just looked it up and the 5th and final book is to be released later this year.

message 27: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 9. The Daily Walk Bible NLT 31 Days With Jesus by Anonymous 4/5 stars, acquired 10/2013 on kindle. A good look at the differences and similarities between the 4 gospels.

message 28: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) January summary:

Total read: 13/70
Counting for this challenge: 9/36
Hard copies: 6/40
E-Books: 7/30
Total added to TBR 2015: 21/50

I'm well ahead of pace for finishing Mt. Vancouver this year, but what is concerning to me is the 21 books I've already added to Mt. TBR for next year!! I either need to not buy so many books (Ha. Ha.) OR I need to read more! :)

message 29: by Bev (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:38AM) (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
I've now bought 13 which wipes out the 10 that I've read off the mountain (I've read 15, but that includes library and a reread)....So, yes, must read more--I know there's no way I won't buy them. :-)

message 30: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Bev wrote: "I've now bought 13 which wipes out the 10 that I've read off the mountain (I've read 15, but that includes library and a reread)....So, yes, must read more--I know there's no way I won't buy them. :-)"

Always nice to know I'm not alone, Bev. That's why I love Goodreads so much!

message 31: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) In a reading slump lately... No new books to add in over a week!

message 32: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Jessika wrote: "In a reading slump lately... No new books to add in over a week!"

Hope you come out of it soon!

My February hasn't started off as strong as January. I've added to my list, but not as much as I need to.

message 33: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Thanks for the encouragement. Tomorrow is my day off so maybe I'll get some reading in. :)

message 34: by Jessika (last edited Feb 14, 2015 05:09PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 10. Fable (Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #3) by Chanda Hahn 4/5 stars, acquired 12/2014 on kindle, 3rd in a series. Much more action-packed than book 2. Will probably jump right in to book 4, but am sad that book 5 still doesn't have a release date.

message 35: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 11. Hope - Four Week Mini Bible Study by Heather Bixler 2.5/5 stars, acquired 8/2013 as a kindle freebie. I hate to say a Bible study was "bad" but this one was not structured very well and I really didn't learn a lot. Kind of disappointed.

message 36: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 12. The Complete Financial Guide for Young Couples by Larry Burkett 2/5 stars, acquired sometime in 2013. Thankfully a freebie. The information and ideas are very dated... women-stay-at-home-to-care-for-children-and-their-income-doesn't-count kind of dated. Overall had some good tips on budgeting and debt reduction, but nothing that hasn't been done better elsewhere.

message 37: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 13. Little Bee by Chris Cleave 4.5/5, acquired 12/2013. So glad I read this! An emotional story that is fictional, but parts of it feel like it could have been true. Some of us have physical scars, some of us have emotional scars, but either way, they have formed us into who we are today, and we must chose whether or not these scars define our future. The only reason I couldn't give it 5 stars was that I found the ending too open-ended and unsatisfying.

message 38: by Tiffani (new)

Tiffani (tiffanipassportbooks) | 18 comments You're doing great with the challenge. Which book from your TBR pile are you most glad that you finally got around to reading?

message 39: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Tiffani wrote: "You're doing great with the challenge. Which book from your TBR pile are you most glad that you finally got around to reading?"

Thanks for asking! Definitely Little Bee and Alloy of Law. Alloy of Law, I knew I was going to enjoy but just hadn't got around to it yet. Little Bee probably would have sat on my TBR for another year or two if I hadn't seen it on Kimberly's list and decided to read it too.

message 40: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 14. Reign (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #4) by Chanda Hahn 4/5 stars, acquired 12/2014 on kindle, 4th in a series. Lots of twists and turns in this one! I enjoyed it a lot, and am looking forward to book 5 being released later this year! Hopefully sooner rather than later!

message 41: by Nela (new)

Nela | 35 comments Jess, you're so organized! I haven't got the slightest idea when I bought certain books. You could run personal library organizing business!

message 42: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Nela wrote: "Jess, you're so organized! I haven't got the slightest idea when I bought certain books. You could run personal library organizing business!"

Haha thanks, well Kindle books are easy because I can go into my history to see when I purchased them. Physical books I generally go by the date I added them to GoodReads, as I tend to add them soon after I bought them. For those books bought before I joined GR in 2011, I don't have any kind of system for them!

message 43: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Today I bought 21 books in a pay-what-you-want ebook bundle... oops. :)

message 44: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) February summary:

Total read: 20/70
Counting for this challenge: 14/36
Hard copies: 9/40
E-Books: 11/30
Total added to TBR 2015: 41/50

Still ahead of pace for Mt. Vancouver. Added a lot of books to Mt. TBR 2015 this month due to an ebook bundle, but the good news is most of them are novellas so I will probably, hopefully, get through some of them before the year ends.

March might be a tough month for this challenge, because I plan on reading my library books and a book I borrowed from my dad.

message 45: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 15. The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold 3/5 stars, have had since before joining GR in 2011. I've been putting off reading it due to low ratings (average of 2.65 stars on GR). I myself find it hard to rate. The writing style is a little bit stream-of-consciousness, so if you don't like that style, then stay away. It seems like a lot of people didn't like the subject matter, and I admit it is rather dark, but I guess I didn't really find it as creepy as the 1 star reviewers thought. Mainly, it's a story about a woman who finally has to face the fact that she let her screwed up mom and dad rule her life to the point that she can't live without the dysfunction. As much as I want to say I liked it without a doubt, it did take me almost 2 months to trudge through. So 3 stars, but I still have some mixed feelings.

message 46: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) Well ahead of schedule, Jessika! Neatly accomplished!

message 47: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Thanks Sophia! I'm secretly hoping for 60 books this year.

message 48: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 16. Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) by Lois Lowry 3.5/5 stars, acquired 3/2014. 2nd in The Giver Quartet. Not as good as The Giver, in my opinion, but definitely intriguing, making me want to jump straight in to book 3. I'm wondering how the worlds will eventually tie together, and if "Ruin" will be explained.

message 49: by Bev (new)

Bev | 601 comments Mod
Looks like 60 books should be within your reach with this pace! Doing great!

message 50: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Thanks Bev!

« previous 1 3