Hair Ribbons of Hope discussion

The Movie

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth, Founder (new)

Elizabeth | 198 comments Mod
http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/2014/1...

It's happening, you guys. It's seriously happening.
They have a director. DISCUSS!

message 2: by Violet (last edited Nov 05, 2014 11:57AM) (new)

Violet Little | 121 comments I don't understand. This guy seems like a legit Indian (sorry, he was born in British India but it's technically Pakistan now) and a legit director. What can he be thinking ? Has he even read the book ? Is his secret plan turn to it into the best stealth parody ever ?

I don't know if I'm more scared or intrigued.

message 3: by Elizabeth, Founder (new)

Director / Producer Shekhar Kapur said: “Colleen Houck has created a brilliant story of a young girl’s journey through amazing adventures in the discovery of herself. Of who she really is. Yes there are tigers, amazing backdrops, heart stopping action and of course love. But at its center, is an enthralling exploration of a young American teenager’s heart. Her desires. Her fears. Her mission and how she wins. I am super excited to direct this film.”

I don't think he has read it AT ALL

message 4: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

Smoking Squirrel | 311 comments Mod
Yeah... this guy must really need a pay check badly.

message 5: by H.L. (last edited Nov 05, 2014 03:32PM) (new)

H.L. Moore (hlmoore) Either that, or he just wanted to get on it before any other hack director could and fuck it up a portrayal of India worse than Houck. He might he swooping in to save the day?
...I'm too optimistic sometimes.

ETA: Wait wait wait, this is the guy who directed the two ELIZABETH movies. :O And he's picking up "Tiger's Curse"? What???? WHY?????

message 6: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

Hayley wrote: "ETA: Wait wait wait, this is the guy who directed the two ELIZABETH movies. :O And he's picking up "Tiger's Curse"? What???? WHY????? "

Yup... my jaw literally hit the floor when I read that xD

message 7: by Violet (new)

Violet Little | 121 comments Hayley wrote: "Either that, or he just wanted to get on it before any other hack director could and fuck it up a portrayal of India worse than Houck. He might he swooping in to save the day?
...I'm too optimistic..."

This is an acurate replica of my thought process while reading the article. Why would he direct something that happens in the modern world and has so much less significance when he must be courted by studios everywhere ?

message 8: by Gwen (last edited Nov 05, 2014 11:23PM) (new)

Gwen S | 27 comments Okay, as someone whose favourite book was picked up by a studio, had some names attached to it, and then dropped, I'm not trusting this for a second. In fact, I'm not really going to put that much faith into this project until I see some actual filming happening.

Speaking of book adaptations that were picked up and dropped, I'm hoping that this guy has some Jodorowsky-esque vision for this project (and that he and anyone else involved never reads the book, and instead works entirely with the base premise), and that if it IS made, it completely spins off into something amazing with only the faintest, most simplest ties to the book it was based off of.

message 9: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

Gwen: YES! Oh god that would be awesome!! It could actually be warped into a pretty moving drama if you try hard enough.

message 10: by Elizabeth, Founder (new)

IMHO, Kapur's greatest achievement is the musical family fantasy picture "Mr. India".
http://youtu.be/KQxrtcwW9Hw

message 11: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (last edited Nov 06, 2014 12:40PM) (new)

I think it's super interesting how the language is mixed so much with English.

message 12: by Astridmyrna (new)

Astridmyrna | 2 comments Hayley wrote: "Either that, or he just wanted to get on it before any other hack director could and fuck it up a portrayal of India worse than Houck. He might he swooping in to save the day?
...I'm too optimistic..."

I'm hoping that's the case. He must have read the book and was all "No. No I will not let this atrocity come to life" and is going to make it the awesome camp film we've always wanted. Or he needed the paycheck. Or both.

message 13: by Gwen (new)

Gwen S | 27 comments Silja wrote: "Gwen: YES! Oh god that would be awesome!! It could actually be warped into a pretty moving drama if you try hard enough."

And a movie could fix a lot of things that are just confusing and impractical in the book. For example: make the reason for Ren's mom's eyes being blue be that it was because of the blood magic (bestowed upon her parents by Durga) needed to conceive her. And have Lokesh try to outright murder the brothers with the amulet, but since they're blessed by Durga, they only turn into tigers.

And then change Kelsey into an Indian living in India, so you can skip all that convoluted, time-wasting garbage that gets her to India in the first place, and she won't go around comparing everything to something from the West, and that the Indian culture is more appreciated and integrated.

And if you REALLY want to throw the canon to the curb, I'd have it so that Lokesh lived in a "magical world/realm/parallel universe/thing" and that the brothers are only human while in it, and the only way to find it would be by a girl with a pure heart blessed with the second sight (which allows her to find and see Indian mythological creatures).

message 14: by Casey (new)

Casey Knightly (Homer42) | 43 comments Gwen wrote: "Silja wrote: "Gwen: YES! Oh god that would be awesome!! It could actually be warped into a pretty moving drama if you try hard enough."

And a movie could fix a lot of things that are just confusin..."

How about Kelsey being an Indian-American? Then the movie wouldn't be a White Savior, but it would have a culture-clash subplot that other American (sorry being so US-centric btw) audiences could relate to. (And it would be interesting to have a, maybe, third-generation child becoming accustomed to their "native" country). Maybe she is an orphan, and her only family is her great-uncle Phet. And Phet, of course, is the one who would introduce her to the legend of the tiger bros.

message 15: by Elizabeth, Founder (new)

Casey wrote: "Gwen wrote: "Silja wrote: "Gwen: YES! Oh god that would be awesome!! It could actually be warped into a pretty moving drama if you try hard enough."

And a movie could fix a lot of things that are ..."

Gwen, those are really good ideas.

Plus Casey's idea of her being Indian-American I like.
Realistically, for a movie like this to be marketable to The West there has to be a western viewpoint character so there's someone to explain things to. But who says she has to be white? Plenty of film adaptations of books have taken not-white characters and made them white, so it makes about as much sense to change her ethnicity as any other character's.

message 16: by Violet (new)

Violet Little | 121 comments Gwen, I love the magical world idea. It would create such a beatiful past/present clash, if the old world is still Under the rule of Lokhesh, and as visually striking as seventeenth century India must have been.

Casey: Her being Indian-American would be great for all the reasons Elizabeth and you listed, but also because going to India would be a way to remember her parents and therefore mourn them appropriately.

message 17: by Elizabeth, Founder (new)

https://youtu.be/iYpPlOq04fQ

Oh good lord, is this real? I'm hoping it's just made by a Brazilian fan with very good editing skills.

message 18: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "https://youtu.be/iYpPlOq04fQ

Oh good lord, is this real? I'm hoping it's just made by a Brazilian fan with very good editing skills."

It's fake-ish it's more of a pitch than actual scenes from a movie as far as I know :P But yeah, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw this video the first time. I am looking forward to the movie, though. I'm going to bring my well planned drinking game to life with my BFF. xD

message 19: by Saiokuo (new)

Saiokuo | 58 comments Oh my god thank you for confirming it isn't real. I was stuck in a loop just saying "no no no".

Also... Houck has fans? Like legit, non-camp fans? Who like her characters and world? Waaah?

message 20: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

Saiokuo wrote: "Oh my god thank you for confirming it isn't real. I was stuck in a loop just saying "no no no".

Also... Houck has fans? Like legit, non-camp fans? Who like her characters and world? Waaah?"

yep. She has legit fans who legit love her books. Legit.
Just take a look at some of the positive reviews for her books. Take a look at her fanpage or her personal website.
I think some of the worst fan written praise I've come across said that she (the fan) felt she had learned so much about India and that Houck had done so much, detailed research and that she really loved how 3 dimensional the characters were and that the story was one of the best she had ever read in her life.
For my own peace of mind I just assumed she had to be 10 years old and the Tiger Saga was the first books she had ever read. Sad to say that she turned out to be 21.

message 21: by Saiokuo (new)

Saiokuo | 58 comments I... I think I need a drink.

Maybe I should write books. Yeah. I could do that. I might even have fans.

Or maybe I should just drink and forgot I read that. ._.

message 22: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

yeah.... I feel ya

message 23: by Elizabeth, Founder (last edited Aug 19, 2015 11:08PM) (new)

Hey remember our guy Shekar Kapur? I just heard he's working on a tv series about Cleopatra http://deadline.com/2015/08/cleopatra...

Just found that funny, since Houck also has an interest in Egypt. She deferred her Tiger series to start a whole new trilogy loosely based on Egyptian mythology.
The Tiger's Curse Movie has also been delayed, perhaps abandoned, and Kapur is working on a new project that's more up his alley, about a famous Egyptian Queen. Similarities!
Hopefully this is a sign that neither TC:The Motion Picture or Tiger's Curse 5 will ever exist.