Deaf/ Sign Language discussion

New! Author who Wrote a Deaf Thriller

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Salpeter (elysesalpeter) | 6 comments Hi everyone! I wanted to introduce myself to you. I'm an author who is HOH in my left ear - about a 60% hearing loss, so while I still can hear, it's becoming a challenge. I've studied ASL and am so intrigued with the Deaf culture that I wrote a series of YA novels about a young Deaf boy who knows about the afterlife and now people are after him for the answer. It's hit the top of a bunch of goodreads listopia lists and Sharon Pajka, a professor at Gallaudet wrote up both books on her blog "Deaf Characters in Adolescent Literature." I just thought I'd share them with the group. FLYING TO THE LIGHT and FLYING TO THE FIRE. Perhaps you'd like to put them on your shelf? :)

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments Hi Elyse,

I too am HOH with about 15% hearing in my right ear and maybe 40% in my left. Because my loss is progressive, at the age of 44 I began learning ASL. Pretty close to fluent now.

My novel, The Abduction of Joshua Bloom, tells the story of a violin prodigy, David Rothman, who on his 12th birthday wakes up deaf. David is torn between two worlds, the Deaf and Hearing. Sharon has featured the novel on her blog, too. I look forward reading Flying to the Light

message 3: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Salpeter (elysesalpeter) | 6 comments I'll definitely check out your book, Michael. I took another series of ASL classes in NYC a year ago because I had the chance to speak to the kids at Mill Neck Manor School for the Deaf and St Josephs. I'm not nearly fluent and have so few folks to practice with, but I do try to keep what I know current.

message 4: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Salpeter (elysesalpeter) | 6 comments Michael - I just checked out your book and it's nothing like you described above - is this the right book?

A high school track star is abducted by aliens, explores strange worlds, uncovers genocide on a planetary scale, and is thrust into extraterrestrial politics that decides the fate of an Earth on the brink of war or unification.

The Abduction of Joshua Bloom tells the story of a teen abduction by an alien race who justifies their act in an attempt to save their people. Joshua finds himself in a world dominated by women, and men are subjugated to their whims. He travels to a dinosaur world, visits a water planet, and the alien home world doomed by a star about to nova

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments I'm sorry. I've been promoting the Abduction of Joshua Bloom all summer since it was published last June. I was referring to Goodbye Tchaikovsky.

10 demerits for Michael.

message 6: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Salpeter (elysesalpeter) | 6 comments Well, at least you know people are looking and not just giving you lip!

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Thal (goodreadscommichael_thal) | 23 comments I get both. Thanks for persevering.

Goodbye Tchaikovsky reads like an emotional autobiography of hearing loss. You'll definitely relate to it. After 21 years of being near deaf, I still cry when I read the book. I hope you enjoy it.