Gifted Children and Adults: Finding a Community discussion

Book recommendation for 9 year old girl

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Filipowicz | 33 comments Mod
Grabbed this from Hoagies Gifted Education Facebook page. Thoughts?

"Suz requests, 'I have a 9 year old girl reading on a 12th grade level, but she is very sensitive. Is anyone able to recommend a good book of short stories written anywhere from 6th grade level on up, that isn't too scary, sad or mature? She loves all of the Percy Jackson books, Kane Chronicles and Harry Potter, and doesn't like books where the main character is mean or crabby or unfair. Thanks for your help!!'"

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 1 comments This is in response to Terry who was looking for a recommendations for a sensitive 9 year old girl reading at a 12th grade level. I've been "looking & lurking" at this site, as parent of two gifted children with learning differences, ages 14 and 19, and facilitator of discussion groups for parents of gifted children. Great to have this wonderful list going! I can't remember if it has been mentioned, but thought I'd chime in about "Some of My Best Friends Are Books" by Judith Wynn Halsted, MS. This is a great book for high level readers for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is thoughtful sensitive guidance for your sensitive elementary and middle school readers and thinkers. Some of the "younger" books are very useful for self administered bibliotherapy purposes. There's a couple of younger books we re-read as the need occurs! It's nice to have this discussion. Thank you to all who participate.