Brandon Sanderson Community discussion

Questions > Science Fiction Books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel | 67 comments I need some recommendations for science fiction/space opera books. I am new to reading scifi, and the few that I have read have not been what I was expecting. So far the books I have read have been more about asking philosophical questions and trying to make the reader think rather than space battles, killing evil aliens, and the like. Which is more of what I am looking for. Just some fun and exciting stories with great characters. Recommendations please.

message 2: by Clay (new)

Clay Enlow | 4 comments The Lost Fleet: Dauntless by Jack Campbell would probably be good for you

message 3: by John Gregory (new)

John Gregory Wynn | 33 comments The Legacy of HeorotOne of my favorites. Older but good

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 23 comments I started the Dune series recently and I am loving it ( I am on the third book). It is very thought provoking and suspensful. Full of political intrigue and I feel that if it is not a direct influence on Brandon Sanderson, I sense a lot of his style and format in the Dune novels.

Another thought provoking novel was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" I did not enjoy it much it did make me think.

The Foundation series is another one that fits what you are looking for.

I have been reading a lot of the classic Sci Fi but I would be interested in everyone's opinions on newer stuff.

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 8 comments If you haven't read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, I would definitely recommend it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I would second "Ender's Game" its great but if you are looking for guy shoots aliens, aliens kill people and not a lot of plot i have to confess the Alien and Predator novels have always been a secret pleasure of mine...

message 7: by Blake (last edited Apr 25, 2015 12:05PM) (new)

Blake (boggle3) | 6 comments There are so many possibilities that it is hard to know where to start. One that I really enjoyed and just finished reading was the Expanse series (Leviathan Wakes) that the SyFy channel is supposed to be making into a series toward the end of the year.

Also, here are a few other books/series:

The Ender Quintet The Ender Quintet by Orson Scott Card

The Saga of Seven Suns Hidden Empire (The Saga of Seven Suns, #1) by Kevin J. Anderson

Gaunt's Ghosts First and Only by Dan Abnett

message 8: by Josh (new)

Josh | 32 comments Old Man's War by John Scalzi

message 9: by Kenneth (new)

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Harju | 8 comments Can someone recommend scifi that is written in the same style as Sanderson? With that I mean:
1. Great characterization and character progression
2. Deep Immersion into the story
3. The feeling of "I can't put it down"

So far I've tried many books like Leviathan awakes, Hyperion. But I found the all to be distant and abit cold without the same immersion I get when reading Sanderson stylish books. Red Rising is the only Scifi I've enjoyed so far!

message 11: by Siggi (new)

Siggi Bach | 5 comments Im a huge SciFi fan and by far the best series I have read is the Expanse by James S.A. Corey. Starting on the lost fleet series after I finish the Reckoners series though.

message 12: by Christian (new)

Christian Maulsby (maulsby) | 9 comments Red Rising is a great one. Three awesome books https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 13: by Nikhil (new)

Nikhil More | 11 comments try Dan browns books,
1. deception point
2. digital fortress

message 14: by Ally (new)

Ally Grunig (allygrunig) | 6 comments A awesome and fun book to read is definitely The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I loved it and is really hard to put down.

message 15: by Eugenio (new)

Eugenio | 31 comments Sci-Fi/Fantasy/with a splash of British wit - I would recommend the Discworld series of books

Sanderson-esque fantasy epic - The Malazan series of books

2 great scifi books by the same author Ernest Cline: Ready Player One and Armada (great characterization and self contained stories)

Many more to recommend but just these off the top of my head

message 16: by phagocyte (new)

phagocyte jr | 1 comments The Expanse is a very good space opera.

If you want space battles and killing aliens, and don't want to ask yourself deep questions I would recommend reading WARHAMMER 40K novels. Not everything is good, some novels are truly horrible, but there are gems :

Eisenhorn trilogy - Dan Abnett
Ravenor trilogy - Dan Abnett
Horus Heresy - various writers
Gaunt's ghosts - Dan abnett

Abnett is pretty much the poster boy for WH40K, he writes the first book of every series so that people buy in, but he does write a good space adventure!! If you like that you'll be in for about a hundred books of discovering new planets and realms. Enjoy!

Other recommendations : Dune series is awesome, also Peter F. Hamilton can be enjoyable, Perry Rhodan which is a classic, etc.