On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

The Kestrel Waters: A Tale of Love and Devil
This topic is about The Kestrel Waters
Group Reads: Post-1980 > The Kestrel Waters, by Randy Thornhorn: Final Impressions, November 2014

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
What did you think? Spoilers welcomed. Did you do a review? Please post a link to it here.

Elaine St john Just finished this. I am glad that I read Wicked Temper first. I think it would be ok the other way around, too. The first thing I ever read by this author was Turpitude. The first few pages had my head spinning, but when I let go trying to make sense of each sentence and word, just letting the sounds tell me the meanings then it took me to another place. What a story-teller. Wicked Temper was something in-between. By the time I read Wicked I was entranced by the gobbledy-gook word salad of hillbilly neologisms.

I don't know what genre this fits. Trying to explain it to someone is frustrating. Guess it's just my OCD tendencies to try to categorize everything. In the end I suppose it doesn't matter. His stuff is definitely some of the most unique (even weird) fiction I've read. But unique is a good thing, right?

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

message 4: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 5: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 1998 comments Mod
Mike
I'm waiting to read your review. I scrolled through it but stopped because I don't want anything revealed to me. Looking forward to your thoughts.

message 6: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished tonight! Loved it! The first chapter was the hardest(I'm going to reread)but after that I was hooked and drawn in. I loved the Family Brass and the elements that Bettilia added to the mix. She had me asking questions about her background, what she meant to the Brass Family, could she get the fairytale ending. Riddletop was just as scary in this book as in Wicked Temper, maybe even more so because the connection I felt to Bettilia.

message 7: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Finished tonight! Loved it! The first chapter was the hardest(I'm going to reread)but after that I was hooked and drawn in. I loved the Family Brass and the elements that Bettilia added to the mix..."

OK! Pass it over to Josh. *grin*

message 8: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

We are both on the slow moving reading train this month. I will be interested to see what he thinks, when he gets to it.

message 9: by Josh (new)

Josh | 185 comments Mike wrote: "Laura wrote: "Finished tonight! Loved it! The first chapter was the hardest(I'm going to reread)but after that I was hooked and drawn in. I loved the Family Brass and the elements that Bettilia ad..."

I.....am.......reading......at.......this......pace......this......month. I hate it when work and life get in the way! I'm surely getting kicked around a little, but I'll get back on that horse soon.

message 10: by Gram (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gram | 7 comments This book was deliciously creepy. But one thing chilled me to the bone. It was those 3 stacked porches! When Chalice arrives at Angelsprey to give Kes his gift and looks up at the house. There's Daddy Brass sitting on the porch with his gun. He's guarding Bettilia. There's Bettilia and Kes sitting on the second porch and above them on the third porch - just standing there looking down at them is the stranger Daddy Brass is trying to protect her from. The image of that is burned into my brain and I feel a need to check my porch. I know bobnot or a lych isn't on my porch but I think I should check it all the same.

message 11: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agree Gram! I also thought that there was a buildup of creepiness with the disappearance of Bettilia and what the family experienced when they went into her room at the Brass home. It's made reference to being disturbing but it wasn't until later on you find out what they found in that room.

LeAnne: | 1310 comments Absolutely loved it (except that first chapter) - authentic, clever, sweet, and creeeeepy. There is an HBO series called "True Detective" that fits this genre, whatever it is, and I love it.

And I want to go hug a Great Pyrenees dog right this moment.

All the hallucinations combined with whatever real horrors were in that house were exceptionally well done. I was thrilled to find out that there is a prequel to Kestrel Waters - about to order a hard copy. The writing is too good not to have this on my bookshelf.

message 13: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sister reminded me somewhat of Terry Kay's book To Dance with the White Dog. The dog seemed to have supernatural protection abilities.

message 14: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Smith | 102 comments A very good book! If this link works my review is at:"https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

Beverly | 190 comments This is a great book and I love the videos that Randy has on his website that goes along with it.

message 16: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beverly can you share website info? I'm interested in seeing.

Beverly | 190 comments I will have to give credit to Mike for this information. Click on his review from above comment and he has the link at the bottom of his review

message 18: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok, I remember that now. Thank you!

message 19: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Barnes | 3972 comments Mod
I finished this afternoon. All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't finish at 3 a.m like Mike. As it was, my heart was racing when I closed the book last night, right after the wedding. I loved all these characters, thanks, Laura, for nominating this one. This book really surprised me, I didn't think I'd like it, even with all the 4 and 5 stars it was getting.

message 20: by Larry (new) - rated it 1 star

Larry Bassett | 0 comments I retired this book once again to my Temporarily Set Aside shelf. I made it through 300 pages but ran out of November and thought it was time to read elsewhere. It just never caught my attention for long.