Anti Bullying Week Readathon discussion

Book Discussions > Favourite and powerful books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Churchill (sarahchurchill) | 63 comments Mod
Which books that feature bullying have had the most impact on you?

message 2: by stahrwars (new)

stahrwars | 1 comments I guess that was 13 reason why by Jay Asher because it had a huge impact on me on how to see other people, and other people's changes and struggles.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Churchill (sarahchurchill) | 63 comments Mod
avehngers wrote: "I guess that was 13 reason why by Jay Asher because it had a huge impact on me on how to see other people, and other people's changes and struggles."

That one's definitely on my TBR for the readathon, it sounds amazing.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne (bleedingrose) | 3 comments 13 reasons why by Jay Asher is a really powerful book, it caused me some emotional pain reading it. It had such an impact on me and also on my classmates, because I chose the book for a presentation .. it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, because it was such a personal theme, I trembled all over during the presentation.
Other books on bullying I read where mostly german ones and they have not stayed with me as much ..

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria S I haven't read many books about bullying to be honest.
One that I remember is "19 minutes" is not in fact about bullying, but is about a shooting in a school started by a bullying victim. It follows the causes and the consequences, it was very realistic that's why I like it so much.

message 6: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Arnold | 3 comments We should totally do 13 reasons why. I think it would be amazing. Especially since my girlfriend killed herself

message 7: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Arnold | 3 comments I changed my mind. See you at Harry's definitely impacted me most. I cried so hard and through the book. It's amazing

message 8: by Claire-Rose (new)

Claire-Rose (girlwhogottiredofwaiting) | 3 comments Speak, without a doubt. I read it when I was probably about 13 and it's stayed with me ever since.

I felt such a connection with Malinda and to see her going through things I was going through...well, it was like having a friend to relate to completely!

message 9: by The (new)

The Villain (The_Verbal_Villain) | 8 comments Hope my true tale helps, telling it how it REALLY is and the thoughts you REALLY feel when at the mercy of bullies and the berates of pure hate.

http://youtu.be/RtWkPCmnpik

The Rise Of The Verbal Villain

message 10: by The (new)

The Villain (The_Verbal_Villain) | 8 comments There is a point when the bully wins and you become your own bully. When you question your self-worth, self belief and self-respect. It then becomes your own private war with yourself as you question yourself, thats when the disease of bullying takes another a victim.

'The Rise Of The Verbal Villain'

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Lau (kath_reads) 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher and Wonder by RJ Palacio.

message 12: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Rose Wilson (bethanyrosie) I had no intention of participating in this read-a-long as I have a lengthy tbr pile that to my knowledge included zero books regarding bullying. However I have just finished a book where, whilst the book is not solely focused on bullying, one of the two narrators is experiencing some bullying at her school. This book is called The View On The Way Down by Rebecca Wait and focuses on depression and suicide and it's just the most stunningly, beautifully upsetting story I have read in a long while. It is definitely an under-hyped book, I think a possible reason for this is that it was released around the same time as The Shock Of The Fall by Nathan Filer and I believe they are similar stories, I just love it very much and think it deserves some recognition for dealing with extremely sensitive topics in such a well-written, thoughtful way.

message 13: by Nory (new)

Nory | 2 comments I think wonder it just leave you with this weird feeling you can't explain.