Horror Aficionados discussion

Young Adult - Which tense should I write in?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Jenkins (stevenjenkins) | 44 comments Hi guys. Next year I'm about to embark on my very first young adult trilogy. Not sure which tense I should write in. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Doseofbella (last edited Nov 05, 2014 02:26AM) (new)

Doseofbella (goodreadscomdoseofbella) | 27 comments I have a son that is really into the Walking Dead, The Following, and plays games like COD, and Borderlands. Another favorite is reality shows; expecially Shark Tank. I read a bit of YA, but not enough to know what readers would be interested in.
Not sure if this was helpful. I was thinking my son doesn't read enough, and he would be interested in something that hit on his other interests.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Jenkins (stevenjenkins) | 44 comments Well, if he's into The Walking Dead, then he might love my novel, BURN THE DEAD (shameless plug

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Jenkins (stevenjenkins) | 44 comments Half my comment was cut off.
Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I have proofread/copyedited numerous books, and all I will say is BE CONSISTENT once you pick one. It is maddening to have the tense shift back and forth throughout the narrative without some clearly delineated boundary. It will throw your readers right out of the story, guaranteed. I've seen both done well, but I personally feel a bit more comfortable reading past tense.

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven Jenkins (stevenjenkins) | 44 comments Thanks for the tips. My prefered tense is present tense. Just not sure about YA. Cheers

message 7: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 308 comments I don't think it matters if the story is intended for YA or adult. But what does matter is length. I think many or most readers are willing to read a short story with an unusual tense (or an unusual prospective). But for a full-length novel, that can get old fast. Stick with present tense and 3rd person (unless it's narrated by the hero) for novels.

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven Jenkins (stevenjenkins) | 44 comments cheers perry