What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Mass-market novel circa 1970. Kennedyesque US president, young, charismatic, intellectual. Past president of University of California, playboy with swimming pool scene.

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jefferson (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments I recall seeing this novel in paperback on a display rack at a shopping mall bookstore -- that is, along with the bestsellers and mass-market fiction of the time -- around 1970 or 1971. It seemed that the main character was a young, charismatic US president, probably modeled on Kennedy, since the brief excerpt teasing the story (on the back cover or maybe inside page) described him frolicking in a swimming pool with a young female acquaintance or maybe staffer. I recall the detail, also from a blurb, that he had previously been the president of the University of California, and I presume there were themes of Sixties-era campus disruption referenced there. The paperback cover might have been white, but I'm not certain of that. Grateful for any help.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Jefferson, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by Jefferson (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments Have not found it, no.

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Mar 26, 2017 05:22AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1653 comments Could it be Joshua, Son Of None, by Nancy Freedman?

The plot isn't exactly what you describe, but since you didn't actually read the book, I thought is was close enough (JFK's clone raised to mimic his experiences). It was released in 1973.

I thought that Wikipedia's plot summary is better than Goodreads'.

message 5: by Jefferson (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments No, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm aware of that one already. This one was about a president who was some kind of charismatic young California playboy, but also an intellectual, a former president of the University of California. He would resemble Kennedy in some ways but not to the extent of being his clone. :)

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33291 comments Mod
A real long shot because this is a family saga - Captains and the Kings (1972) by Taylor Caldwell (which has multiple covers)? Perhaps there are "similar" books written around this time.

message 7: by Jefferson (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments That's not it, but I'm grateful to you for reminding me of it nonetheless, because this might also turn out to be relevant to same research project.

message 8: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1653 comments Maybe E Pluribus Bang! by David Lippincott E Pluribus Bang! by David Lippencott (1970)? Again, the plot doesn't quite match your description (the MC was the Governor of California and doesn't appear to be an intellectual) but the front cover shows him frolicking with a young woman.

message 9: by Jefferson (last edited Mar 26, 2017 10:38AM) (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments Wow, this is very interesting -- the date is right, and some details are similar. On the cover I remember, the frolic was in a swimming pool, although this is the hardcover dust jacket and that was a mass-market paperback. Also the one I remember didn't "tease" anything about guns or assassinations or the president being a killer.

So, I think this still isn't it, although I'm relying on a distant memory so I can't absolutely swear I'm not conflating different books. Regardless, this one is equally relevant to my research (I'm borrowing it from the Open Library), so thanks so much for alerting me to it! I really appreciate your taking the trouble. :)

message 10: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

This list might have the book you're looking for - good luck!

message 11: by Jefferson (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments Thanks! I'm happy to know about this list even if doesn't. :)

message 12: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Mar 26, 2017 07:20PM) (new)

message 13: by Jefferson (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments Thanks! I saw Wikipedia's earlier version of this list a few years ago, but hadn't thought to check it since. The older one was a lot more primitive, but this looks much improved! Alphabetized and everything! :) My congrats to whomever went to all the trouble. And again, I'm grateful for your help!

message 14: by Andy (last edited Mar 03, 2018 05:53AM) (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Possibly one of the later books by Allen Drury (sequels to "Advise and Consent") - in the later books, there's a Kennedyesque president named Edwin Jason. Come Nineveh, Come Tyre: The Presidency of Edward M. Jason and this book was originally published in 1973.

message 15: by Jefferson (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments Andy, thanks -- I've had a look at that one now through Open Library, and it doesn't appear to be the one I was thinking of. Nonetheless I'm pleased to be alerted to it, because I had somehow missed the fact that Allen Drury had written sequels to "Advise and Consent" with fictional presidents, and I'm looking forward to reading this one. So thanks very much for responding!

message 16: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments You're very welcome. In addition to the direct sequels to A&C, Drury wrote one loosely connected SF work ("The Throne of Saturn" The Throne of Saturn)

message 17: by Jefferson (new)

Jefferson Smith | 9 comments Great, I'll look that up too. Thanks again. :)

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Still looking now?

message 19: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Smith | 2 comments Yes, still looking, thanks for your interest. :)

message 20: by Kris (new)

Jefferson, I added some plot details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from the header alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 21: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Smith | 2 comments Kris, that's very helpful, thank you kindly. :)

message 22: by Kris (new)

You're welcome.