Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > November's Book of the Month-Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments "Whitney, My Love" stands as Judith McNaught's timeless bestseller -- a novel so rich with laughter, tears, and the power of dreams that millions of readers have returned to it again and again to savor its beauty and majesty. Under the dark, languorous eyes of Clayton Westmoreland, the Duke of Claymore, Whitney Stone grew from a saucy hoyden into a ravishingly sensual woman. Fresh from her triumphs in Paris society, she returned to England to win the heart of Paul, her childhood love . . . only to be bargained away by her bankrupt father to the handsome, arrogant duke. Outraged, she defies her new lord. But even as his smoldering passion seduces her into a gathering storm of desire, Whitney cannot -- and will not -- relinquish her dream of perfect love.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments This is one of my favorites. I can't wait to start.

message 3: by Anita (last edited Nov 05, 2014 10:04AM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments Whitney, My Love was the first book that Judith McNaught wrote. It was rejected by the publishers and it wasn't until she had published other works that they published this one. It is a wonderful story of perseverance on the part of the hero trying to corral a headstrong heroine. I'm going to love this reread.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I knew that the publishers didn't like the way it was written, but when it was finally published that it automatically became a top seller, and it changed the way Regency Romances were viewed with the Hero being introduced first.

message 5: by Eve (last edited Nov 06, 2014 01:55AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments This is a really good book to read if you are in the mood for misunderstandings and drama and its a good example of how NOT to have a relationship ;)
The hero, Clayton, has some serious issues - nothing much, just an anger problem, jealousy, secrecy that sort of thing. But Clayton goes too far - he rapes Whitney, then he feels bad and releases her. He jumps to conclusions about her, never confronting her with what's bothering him. True love-hate-love-hate relationship.

But the story is well written (it was JMN's first try at writing!) and there are some great scenes between the two of them (chess matches where they banter and scheme, etc). But there were so many different STUPID misunderstandings and that rape scene was too much - Clayton was supposed to be the Hero (and heros don't rape, kill, beat, abuse women! Right!?)! Perhaps the era was different but the way Clayton acted after that...the way he nearly married his former mistress... Is this the way to treat your true love?

What are your feelings?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I see what you mean, Eve, but in my opinion I liked that part because it showed that Clay was a flawed human being, as we all are. I sometimes get sick of the heroes being all good. Granted, Clayton was definitely wrong by raping Whitney, but if you remember, he started to then he decided he couldn't stoop so low as to rape Whitney, then she said go ahead. It was only when he started to hurt her that she fought him.

Whitney also did some misunderstanding when Clay showed up at the wedding. She assumed that because he had sent that paper releasing her he was trying to play her for a fool. Whitney then treated him like dirt, so he felt that she had played him. When Clay almost married his former mistress (can't remember her name) it was because he believed Whitney didn't love him. He was trying to go on with his life.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I love how everyone has a different opinion about the same book. I am in the middle of Whitney and I am LMAO. Whitney has just sent a note to Clay that she has fallen and wrenched her knee. He sends Dr. Witticomb, his personal physician, all the way from London-7 hours away to treat Whitney. Then Witticomb tells Whitney they talked about sending to Germany or Sweden for a surgeon. When Whitney finally lets the doc look at her knee she has the wrong leg on the pillow.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments In my opinion there are so many great moments in this book I was wondering what your favorite is.

message 9: by Dee (last edited Nov 11, 2014 10:23PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am at the part when Clayton "rapes" Whitney. I never looked at it that way, but Clayton was so insecure where Whitney was concerned. He was head over heels in love with her, and the whole time Whitney is professing her love for the dweeb Paul and lying to Clayton. He also knows that she is headstrong and young. For her to actually get engaged with Paul would be something that he could see her doing. Also for the last several months he had been paying for her support. Not that the money is important, but from his way of looking at things that had to be a slap in the face.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I love the scene when Clayton is toasting his wife. I also love the scene where they are in bed and he is explaining what sex is all about. I wish my first lover would have explained it to me like that.

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy | 745 comments Eve wrote: "This is a really good book to read if you are in the mood for misunderstandings and drama and its a good example of how NOT to have a relationship ;)
The hero, Clayton, has some serious issues - n..."

I just finished reading Whitney, My Love and I was interested to see what the rest of you thought of it. Eve, I shared your feelings about all the stupid misunderstandings. I was starting to get a little annoyed by all of them and the plot was starting to be not quite "believable" for me. Overall, I liked the book and I like Judith McNaught as an author. I don't think that this is her best work.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments As I have said I loved the book. To me those misunderstanding were because Clayton was so flawed as a human being, and it showed how like some flawed people they don't necessarily learn from their mistakes the first go around. I do think that the book would have been better if she would have ended the book shortly after the wedding.

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments I agree with Judy, I don't think this is her best work. Judith McNaught grew a lot as an author after this book, but one thing remained consistent in her books: misunderstanding and lack of communication between the H/h. Where would any romance book be without those elements?