Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Heyer in General > For fun - What couples would you like to see meet?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (aggieamy) | 422 comments I was listening to Friday's Child today and thought that I would like Sherry and Hero to meet Freddy and Kit. I think they'd hit it off rather well. Maybe their kids could get married.

So ... which couples would you crossover? What couples would you like to see sit down for dinner and hijinks?

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 690 comments When Neil and Amanda (Sprig Muslin) go back to the Peninsula they will undoubtedly meet Harry & Juana (The Spanish Bride) since we've been told already that Neil knows them. I imagine Juana (not being the patient kind) will very speedily put Amanda in her place, but that Amanda will look up to Juana and quickly learn from her and that they'll eventually become friends.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 435 comments I would like Freddy and Kitty to meet Serena and Ivo. I imagine them going home after and Freddy saying something like " By Jove Kit, I mean to say , well, glad we are married to each other , what? ?

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1275 comments this is an interesting thread but I can't think of any right now...everybody has such good company manners I think any of the couples would get along, at least short term.

I am going to give it more thought.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments I think it might be fun to mix up couples who would find each other rather shocking (but of course be too polite to say so). Freddy would be shocked by Serena and Ivo. He is a Standen, after all, and however good natured he has pretty high standards in deportment.

message 6: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Barnes | 145 comments Barbara wrote: "I would like Freddy and Kitty to meet Serena and Ivo. I imagine them going home after and Freddy saying something like " By Jove Kit, I mean to say , well, glad we are married to each other , what? ?"

Seriously made me laugh!

I would love to see Serena and Ivo meet Lord Rule from the Convenient Marriage, because all three are political, only the former are active about it and the latter is very lax. The former are passionate and hot-headed and the latter rather the opposite. I wonder how much mockery from Rule Ivo would swallow before we got a duel.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 530 comments Are you taking into account the fact that Rule is at least a generation older than Ivo?

message 8: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Barnes | 145 comments I still think Rule could kick his arse. And laugh at him in the process.

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1275 comments LOL

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy (aggieamy) | 422 comments I think I've read this suggestion before someplace but can't find it ... Tiffany Weld and Vincent Darracot. I dislike both of them so much that I'd like to see them together. Married. And hating each other. I think it's the only punishment good enough for the both of them.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1275 comments ha! justice!

message 12: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Amy wrote: "I think I've read this suggestion before someplace but can't find it ... Tiffany Weld and Vincent Darracot. I dislike both of them so much that I'd like to see them together. Married. And hating..."

My goodness! What happens when two narcissists marry? For the sake of their children, I hope they have none.

Being a bit more serious: I think I said somewhere else that Vincent might be alright if he wasn't so bitter about having to rely on allowances grudgingly given, so marrying a rich wife might make him nicer. However, marrying Tiffany would make him worse!

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments I wonder if Vincent would be any happier living on his wife's money (his money once they married) than relying on an allowance.

Because if a rich wife was what he really wanted, I think he could have managed it before. He is so well connected, I think a family with more money and less connection to the aristocracy might consider him as a good candidate to marry their daughter. He is handsome, he has presence, and I think he could be charming enough to win the daughter's heart.

That he has not done so may show that he is not as cynical as he would have people to believe.

But I stand by what I said in another thread. If he married Tiffany, there would be no contest. He would put her in her place very quickly. A husband had all the power, and I can't see Vincent putting up with her bratty behavior. He is a more forceful character than she is. Once she saw that she couldn't manipulate him (which she couldn't) and had a few tantrums about that (and discovered that they didn't work either) she would, if she had even an ounce of sense, learn to be more conformable. And if she didn't, he could do what many husbands did: exile her to the country, while he lived a comfortable life in town.

message 14: by Barbara (last edited Nov 18, 2014 05:00PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 435 comments Teresa wrote: "I wonder if Vincent would be any happier living on his wife's money (his money once they married) than relying on an allowance.

Because if a rich wife was what he really wanted, I think he could h..."

I do agree Theresa - Tiffany is after all, only a young girl and despite her thinking herself very au fait with fashionable life, is actually untested and naïve. I wonder if they could make it? I'm inclined to think not, as Vincent is not really either old enough or young enough to bend/adapt and she is not wise enough to know how to work it . She would be much better off with an older doting man who nevertheless knew how to manage . Maybe someone like the wonderful Sir Horace? Steeple in Venetia, who married her mother.

If exiled to the country or left alone in town, I think Tiffany would be headed for a crim.con. sooner or later ..