YA LGBT Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 595 comments I was going through the updates for other topics in our group and noticed a lot of WriMo's among us, so I figured we could use a dedicated thread.

Some prompts to get us rolling:
Brag about how far ahead of the word count you are.
Lament about how far behind you are.
What's your past NaNo/writing experience?
Do you have a title for you NaNo this year?
What genre(s) are you writing?
Have a blurb?
Share an excerpt?
Friendly pointers for new WriMo's?

I'm at work at the moment, so I don't have the time now, but I'll be back later to overshare and humble boast.

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Nov 04, 2014 06:05PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16732 comments Brag about how far ahead of the word count you are;
- way behind, because I'm still finishing another WIP; I wrote a bit over 1K just to get started.

What's your past NaNo/writing experience? Did it 3 times; got 50K on a new book once; wrote 50 on a WIP once and over 50 on two different WIPS once. Never claimed the prizes/badge because what I love are the little graphics.

Do you have a title for your NaNo this year? Nope - I put in "I'll Know When I Get There" - given that I don't even have a title for the 95K WIP, that's par for the course.

What genre(s) are you writing? A new series - Adult M/M mystery paranormal

Have a blurb?
Share an excerpt?
You can find them if you look me up - I'm "Kaje Harper" there (although the search function has been broken lately) They're not adult rated yet, but the book will be.

Friendly pointers for new WriMo's? Don't get hung up on the rules. Use it to have fun, to push your count. Don't let it become a source of stress. Hook up with some buddies there and see that people are all over the place with it. Enter your count as often as you like. The little climbing bars are motivating :)

message 3: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 595 comments So far this year, my word count is right on track, which is a far cry better than last year where four hours into NaNo the bulged disk in my neck decided to swell, making impossible to type or hold my phone.

I've done something like NaNo every year since 2005; I get these weird periods of intense creativity (I call them 'savant days') that would debilitate my attention span, so it was therapeutic to spend those periods writing. I think I'm going to luck out this year, I can feel a savant period coming. My first official NaNo was in 2011; I was between jobs so I managed to hammer out 74k words.

This year I'm working on a YA LGBT / Modern Fantasy novel tentatively titled "Bond of Mercury". Modern setting where the Greco-Roman pantheon still exists (all but Zeus) in secret, hiding behind various other religious and societal monikers. When playing videogames and someone shouts 'goddamnit,' they're praying to Ares and Hermes. Apollo, Demeter, and Baccus rigged up monotheism. With Zeus out of the picture, all the gods, even the muses, have had their turn in the limelight. My main character is a Seer of Diana/Artemis (I use the Greek and Roman names interchangeably depending on the character and situation), but something has gone wrong with the Veil, preventing all Seers from reading the future. A fugitive assassin of Hermes' Band may hold the answer, only problem is something has wiped his memories. With no future to be Seen and a forgotten past, will these two live long enough to fix the problem (and maybe fall for each other)?

My blurb sucks, but I'll work on it in December. There's a lot of snark, pop culture references, and a whole lot of fourth-wall breaking, and I'm having a ton of fun writing it so far.

Finally, my pointers for new WriMo's.
1) Tools! The NaNo site a section full of links to useful tools; ones that can lock your computer from doing anything else until you hit your word count for the day, ones that count words while you write, editing tools for December, and so on. Finding the right setup of tools for you is almost as important as finding the right environment to write in--that is to say, sometimes you'll take anything as long as you can get this plot-bunny out of your head right now!, and sometimes you know you'll never get anything done without X, Y, and Z first.
2) Iterate and don't delete. That last paragraph you wrote and absolutely hate? Leave it there, mark it with an asterisk, and write another paragraph. You have 11 months to come back and decide if you like the new paragraph better than the first. And, if you keep both of them, you get word count credit for NaNo for leaving both paragraphs.
3) Divide, conquer, and backup. Don't keep writing in the same word document chapter after chapter. If you're 19 chapters into writing, and hitting save throws an error and corrupts the file, you just lost all 19 chapters if you're not dividing the files. And create backups; have the file in at least 3 locations (PC, cloud, and thumbdrive). I learned this one the hard way in 2012 when a nearby power transformer blew out and EMP'd the contents of my hard-drives.

And like Kaje said, don't stress about it. NaNo is for fun, practice, and charity (and in my case, gloating my word count over my slacker co-worker, bwhaha)

message 4: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Okay, well, as I am attempting to NaNo for the 4th time...

Brag about how far ahead of the word count you are.

I am only about 3000 words or so in - sadly the day job and real life prevents me from writing a lot during the week (8 hours in front of a computer at work and the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit in front of it again!) I will play catch up at the weekend... hopefully..

What's your past NaNo/writing experience?
This is my fourth year, but I've never "won" yet - though for the last three years it's been real life that has conspired against me. I write better to a deadline set by someone else, not myself so have real commitment problems in finishing anything like this.

Do you have a title for you NaNo this year?
No title.... I don't do titles at the best of times, let alone the start of what I am writing... My beta readers usually end up choosing the title for me when it's written.

What genre(s) are you writing? f/f paranormal (wolf shifters)

Have a blurb?
There is a blurb up on my NaNo profile (Kate-Polipetl) The story may eventually end up as being non YA but am tending towards fade to black for any intimate scenes

Share an excerpt?
Not yet - not enough written...

Friendly pointers for new WriMo's?
Have fun.... they may class getting to the 50K words as a "win" but the story will be as long as it will be, use the NaNo as a way to get support for your writing, to boost your output or just have fun with other writers.

message 5: by J.E.J. (new)

J.E.J. Fern (jejfern) | 1 comments I have it all in my head. It's probably YA, and definitely LGBT. It's the seventh day and I haven't written one word yet. Health details and activities have been getting in the way. I haven't got a title, nor a blurb written down. It is not surprising, I'm generally totally unprepared for big projects. And books are big projects. I'll get there at some point, in my own time.

message 6: by Kaje (last edited Nov 07, 2014 07:32AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16732 comments J.E.J. wrote: "I have it all in my head. It's probably YA, and definitely LGBT. It's the seventh day and I haven't written one word yet. Health details and activities have been getting in the way. I haven't got a..."

The thing is to enjoy it, use some of the resources, and to maybe let it push you a bit but not enough to be a stress. I'm probably about 15K behind now, but whenever you put some words in, there is a feeling of accomplishment. Good luck!