500 Great Books By Women discussion

Love in a Fallen City
This topic is about Love in a Fallen City
Chosen By Fellow Goodreaders > Love in a Fallen City - Eileen Chang - Aubrey

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 26, 2015 06:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Love in a Fallen City, Eileen Chang, translated from Chinese by Karen S. Kingsbury, 1943, China (China/United States), SHORT STORIES

"It's a flavor of acrid living that she captured on paper even in her youthful twenties, as these stories are happiness of the trained sort, gilded robes and bound feet reminiscent of ruffled skirts and excised ribs in the land of Christians and their Boxer Rebellion. True, Shanghai is not Paris or London, Berlin or New York, but you don't need white people to play out the conflicts of modern life on a theme of hope and decadence, luxurious backdrops galore to the young choking on the old, women flying too far to forget the taste when time comes for men to clip their wings."

(Aubrey, review)

Review Medley
Dioni

Dioni (Bookie Mee) (dioni) | 21 comments This is my first Eileen Chang's book and I absolutely loved it. Submitting my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Thanks for your review, Dioni. It has now been incorporated above.