Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)
This topic is about Tiger's Quest
Tiger's Quest ( Tiger's Curse 2) > Tiger's Quest: Prologue through chapter 4

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Elizabeth | 198 comments Mod
With money, everything is possible!!! Except happiness ;(

In chapter one alone, Kelsey receives countless remunerations for services rendered that apparently were worth every penny. No one in her foster family questions this.
If you could earn a virtually unlimited expense account, house, car and full-ride scholarship by going abroad to a hot climate for unspecified temp work for a stranger, would you? No? What if I threw in a FRIDGE FULL OF LEMONS!!!!

message 2: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (last edited Nov 04, 2014 05:29PM) (new)

Smoking Squirrel | 311 comments Mod
understanding housemoms who write romance novels 101:

If she liked all the things, that would mean she was a golddigging whore

character might 'not like' being rich but let us just linger on the descriptions of material goods juuuuuust for a little longer while we occasionally whine about our lost love

etc etc
We should write a rule book.

message 3: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Oh, I'm not ashamed to say I have read romance novels, everything from Jane Austen to thin paperback ones with greek playboy billionaire pirate sheikhs on the cover. I could take a whack at it.

Trashy Book Rules 101

1. Heroine has whatever color hair and eyes you fancy, as long as she's caucasian. She is a feisty ingenue in her twenties from a working-class or middle-class background, who at the beginning of the story we find is in the midst of some life transitions,(might have dead parents or has lost her job, etc).
Her job is not important. She might be a student.
She might have a vague dream that she wants to go to art school or start a cupcake bakery or some bull that would never be a realistic and sustainable career choice (unless you happen to be supported by a wealthy spouse).

2.She is a virgin. No, seriously a virgin, has never touched herself, used a tampon, ridden a bicycle or climbed a fence or anything that would alter her sacred hymen. No matter how old she is.(Not that there's anything wrong with waiting to have sex until you feel like it. It's just in these books it's the ideal for all women, and those who HAVE had sex before meeting The One almost have to make excuses for it) Sometimes she has not even had a boyfriend or even BEEN KISSED. It's rarely because she's especially religious or has made a vow. The contrived reasons why a modern adult woman has not ever had a relationship are various, but really the only reason is sexism and that the plot requires it. It is so the Hero can "claim" her by "taking" her virginity and awakening her into sensual womanhood. She can not own her own sexuality until a man shows her how.

3.She has had a loving if eccentric family upbringing. She is nurturing and has feminine hobbies and loves animals and children and would have liked to have children but as she is an old maid at 25, the future has a high probability of lonely adulthood.

4. Despite being well-liked by everyone she has no female friends. (Or, she has ONE friend who is funloving, earthier and sluttier than her and still is willing to listen to her bitch about love problems. She might have a b-plot where she ends up with the Hero's sidekick. But that's more of a romcom/chicklit thing)

5.She's a special snowflake who underestimates her own beauty. No one has ever convinced her she is beautiful until The Hero. No one has ever really 'seen' her until The Hero.

6. Hero is dark-haired and slate-eyed.
businessman/aristocrat, preferably of some vague, unspecified industry. It doesn't matter, as long as he's rich as Croesus. He is often from a Mediterranean country that is in real life pretty economically unstable at the moment.

7.Hero has had sex with THOUSANDS of women that he uses and throws away like tissues, because they're just shallow gold-diggers, not REAL people. He never lets any woman see his true self, because he keeps all his daddy/mommy/ex-wifey issues hidden deep inside. He has given up on love. Sex is recreational, like tennis.(Not that there's anything wrong with responsible casual sex, but in the universe of RomanceWorld it's always a symptom of unhealthy emotional detachment).

8. The more foreign he is, the more hot-blooded and likely to sexuallysensually assault, because he does not know the heroine's ways.
Scottish Highlander; hot-blooded and gruff, taciturn. Hates Sassenachs.
Italians/Greeks/Spaniards; Hot-blooded and fiery, likes his women to shut up and stay in the kitchen.
Arab Sheikhs: Will straight up abduct a woman, no apologies. A 'seduction by force' isn't a rape, it's just surprise sex you didn't know you wanted!

9. Hero is allegedly a cold, disciplined workaholic(if he's not the hedonistic playboy type) but has apparently got a lot of spare time to work on his six-pack abs and have affairs.

10. The Hero doesn't normally go for the sort of woman the heroine is, but once he meets her, he cannot have any sexual release unless it's with this specific woman. His pants bulge ridiculously frequently around her.He tries to buy her by showering her with luxuries but this is one woman who can't be bought. She's different from the other whores and that makes her special.

11. He finds away to be around her. He hires her to work for him, or something.If he doesn't outright rape her, he abducts and seduces her. He definitely at least steals a kiss without permission fairly soon after meeting her.

12. The Heroine has started feeling things that she never felt before, and entertains the thought she might be falling in love, but is afraid that the hero is incapable of love because he's a billionaire manwhore, and/or unable to have a relationship with someone as lowly and as her.

13. The Heroine must never tell the hero how she feels.

14. The Heroine must never admit she's a virgin. Even if she plans on having sex with him. She thinks it'll probably be fine and he won't notice. The hero assumes she's a slut because she's so attractive.

15. When the Hero and the Heroine have sex for the first time, it usually goes down something like this:

H: Let's do it.
h: Oh, okay, if you must. I totally know how sex goes.
H: *fingering heroine's lady bits*
h: wait, what is this feeling? I'm being awakened!
H: ARRG I CAN'T HOLD OUT ANYMORE I MUST HAVE YOU NOW!
h: OUCH HOLY SH*T
H: (Wait, she can't be a virgin, can she?. Well, too late to pull out now, she's trapped me, the witch. Might as well finish and deal with it later.)
h: *crying profusely*
H: *cums harder than he has ever in his life* SorryNotSorry!

Afterwards, the blood stained sheets belie her deflowering and the Hero feels really, really terrible, but hides it by getting mad at her for making him "lose control" and for not telling him she was a virgin. Sometimes he'll have a snit fit for a chapter about this, before feeling guilty and making it up to her(with his penis). But in a slim paperback there's no time for this and it's condensed to him apologising immediately, then starting up another sex session because he "has a need to see her pleasure". They usually have a simultaneous orgasm.

(Alright, it doesn't always go down like that, but that's the only type I can remember from Harlequin/Mills&Boon Presents-type books.)

16.The plot after that consists of the Hero's emotional awakening and the heroine's sexual awakening. She gets him to talk about his past and He gets her in various positions and showers her with jewelry and luxury boat rides. But he can't admit to himself he loves her because he's stubborn and has daddy issues.

17. The Hero's complete disregard for prophylactics is proof that he unconsciously loves the heroine and secretly does want to marry her and have 20 babies, but he won't admit this until the very last minute.

18. Heroine realizes immediately that she's pregnant when she can't stand the smell of coffee. Or doesn't realize until three months later, then doesn't tell the hero until later still. She doesn't gain enough weight that she's showing very much, but when he sees her after a separation, he immediately knows by the slight curve of her abdomen. All women either have completely flat stomachs or they're pregnant.

18. Sometimes the Hero will propose a marriage of convenience and the heroine will settle for it for the sake of their tiny unborn baby, because at least she'll be near him even though he doesn't love her.
Then he'll shower her with gifts and not have sex with her. She thinks this is because she's gross and he doesn't like her, but he's afraid of losing himself. They argue and have sex and argue and she leaves and rejects his wealth in order to try making it on her own as a single mom cupcake artist.

Then, like, some bullshit will happen where he suddenly realizes he needs her, and goes to her and proves his love somehow by a supreme act of selflessness, admits what a fool he's been and they gush at each other and he claims her with a kiss. epilogue, she's pregnant with their third kid and making cookies in her art studio barefoot or something

oops i wrote a novel there

message 4: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

OH MY GOD THIS IS BEAUTIFUL! :'D
(Cheesy romance is my guilty pleasure too but I still have limits xD )

message 5: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Silja wrote: "OH MY GOD THIS IS BEAUTIFUL! :'D
(Cheesy romance is my guilty pleasure too but I still have limits xD )"

yeah, I was starting to think about romance tropes in relation to Tiger's Curse, but it kind of got away from me and I look insane now.

But I probably forgot some "rules", such as: Irrational raging jealousy is evidence that you're really in love. That comes up in Tiger's Quest.

message 6: by Violet (new) - added it

Violet Little | 121 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Oh, I'm not ashamed to say I have read romance novels, everything from Jane Austen to thin paperback ones with greek playboy billionaire pirate sheikhs on the cover. I could take a whack at it.

..."

I'm not going to lie, you could probably consider this career and, soon, find yourself lying on a island of gold, floating on teenage tears, and wondering which twenty-something German-American Hollywood would find best suited to play your Arab lead.

It's kind of scary.

message 7: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Violet wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Oh, I'm not ashamed to say I have read romance novels, everything from Jane Austen to thin paperback ones with greek playboy billionaire pirate sheikhs on the cover. I could take ..."

I have this weird fantasy where I write a successful romance novel solely for the satifaction of having a scene where the Hero is the secret virgin, and the Heroine says "ARG, why didn't you tell me, I'd have done it differently". If anyone knows if that romance novel exists, please tell me so I can save myself the trouble. I don't know why nobody has thought of having this happen before, If I came across that moment unexpectedly in a straight romance novel I would laugh for dayssss

message 8: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (last edited Nov 05, 2014 02:19PM) (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Silja wrote: "OH MY GOD THIS IS BEAUTIFUL! :'D

yeah, I was starting to think about romance tropes in relation to Tiger's Cu..."

Oh yeah! And if we are in the Tiger/Twilight area: no sex before marriage. The closest we ever get to premarital sex is kissing with tongue. No groping, no handjobs or fingering and no hands on boobs. xD The only time the subject of sex has ever come up in the Tiger books it is - as far as I remember - a single line where Kelsey is thinking that she's not really ready for it.... Which is weird when she later realizes that Lokesh want to have kids with her and she's like: Meh, I do not particularly want to be the mother of his children - and I'm like: CAN'T YOU JUST BE A REAL HUMAN-FUCKING-BEING FOR ONCE, KELSEY??? Everytime someone sexually assaults her or threatens to do so she's either okay with it (Ren or Kishan) or she is midly irritated by it (Lokesh)

For someone claiming she's not ready for sex yet she sure as hell seem too calm about all the rape threats she recieves on a daily basis.

message 9: by Violet (new) - added it

Violet Little | 121 comments Silja wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Silja wrote: "OH MY GOD THIS IS BEAUTIFUL! :'D

yeah, I was starting to think about romance tropes in rela..."

I don't know if I want to know all the kinds of wrong Tiger's Quest will have to offer, even without sex...

message 10: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Moore (hlmoore) My favourite thing about the prologue to "Quest" is that she first thinks it was Mr Kadam who bought all that stuff for her.

message 11: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

Violet wrote: "Silja wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Silja wrote: "OH MY GOD THIS IS BEAUTIFUL! :'D

yeah, I was starting to think about romance ..."

It only gets worse after Quest, my friend. If ANY of you are able to survive Voyage, you deserve a medal! That piece of shit nearly killed me with all its disgusting love triangle bullshit!

message 12: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Hayley wrote: "My favourite thing about the prologue to "Quest" is that she first thinks it was Mr Kadam who bought all that stuff for her."

My favorite part is possibly a tie between when she suddenly remembers she forgot to get her little siblings souvenirs, so goes to a toy store to get them something vaguely Indian, and ends up buying herself the biggest most expensive plushie tiger in the joint(this scene is more elaborated on in the preview sample chapter in the softcover edition of book 1) Then tries to sleep with it at night but it's "not the same!!" OR the moment when she justifies keeping all the stuff Ren gave her because "Oh well, Ren would probably come up with some even more elaborate gift if I reject this stuff, so might as well use it" because she knows his mind so well at this point I guess(?!)

message 13: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

oh yeah the plushie... lol!

Taken from the generic About the Author:
'She lives in Salem, Oregon, with her husband and white stuffed tiger.'

So. Much. Self-Insert.
Hahahahaha :'D

message 14: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Hayley wrote: "My favourite thing about the prologue to "Quest" is that she first thinks it was Mr Kadam who bought all that stuff for her."

Are you going to read Quest, too? you might want to, for the bit where Kadam actually teaches Kelsey some self-defense ( though not as hands-on as I would have liked).

message 15: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Moore (hlmoore) Elizabeth wrote: "Hayley wrote: "My favourite thing about the prologue to "Quest" is that she first thinks it was Mr Kadam who bought all that stuff for her."

Are you going to read Quest, too? you might want to, fo..."

I am definitely going on to read Quest! For the lulz, of course. And for Kadam. :)

message 16: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Hayley wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Hayley wrote: "My favourite thing about the prologue to "Quest" is that she first thinks it was Mr Kadam who bought all that stuff for her."

Are you going to read Quest, too? you..."

OH GOOD. I need to talk to more people about the out-of-nowhere "Midsummer Night's Dream" homage chapters. I won't spoil it too much, but... Tree birth.

message 17: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Why do you think Kelsey had to go on so many dates with boys? She means to explore other possibilities than a ancient tigerman she's known for a few hours, and I guess she's giving it the old college try, but it just seemed like a waste of time. Really the book only needed Li... he's actually a contender. I sometimes wonder if there are Li shippers out there.

message 18: by Berg-ulme (new)

Berg-ulme | 10 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Why do you think Kelsey had to go on so many dates with boys? She means to explore other possibilities than a ancient tigerman she's known for a few hours, and I guess she's giving it the old colle..."
I am!
Althought, as I said at another thread here, I am shipping Li with Ren. I know, I know... but my slash radar went "Bing!" during the first chapters of Quest. Normaly it needs unholy amounts of subtexts to go off. Like "Sherlock" or "X-men First Class" amounts of subtext.

message 19: by Berg-ulme (new)

Berg-ulme | 10 comments I... kinda liked the tree birth. In a less stupid book it could have been used to illusrate the strangeness of the other world Kelsey and Kishan are in. Don't forget the highly sensual bath scene with Kelsey and the three nymphs.

Houck went full on "Lisa Frank" with the hole "Midsummer Night's Dream" stuff.

message 20: by Violet (last edited Nov 07, 2014 05:40AM) (new) - added it

Violet Little | 121 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Why do you think Kelsey had to go on so many dates with boys? She means to explore other possibilities than a ancient tigerman she's known for a few hours, and I guess she's giving it the old colle..."

I guess we can't blame her for trying to have fun, mostly in the sexist, slut-shaming context she's written in, but... are those boys even aware that she's dating other people ?

I suppose it's normal if it's casual dating, but she doesn't seem to tell them about it being casual. To be fair, maybe she does in between pages, or maybe it's just us being Yanderes and American etiquette allows you to be able to flirt with several people at the start of a relationship.

Or were all those dates (except Archie's) trial dates, like not really dates, even though she scheduled another trial in between the other contenders' real date and trial date, so it's also technically cheating ? Wait, this question doesn't make sense. Then again, neither does this book.

message 21: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

In general I don't get Kelsey's mindset at all. She dumps Ren for the dumbest reasons and then she immediately goes out and dates a bunch of guys? How does that work?

Granted rebound sex is always a great way to numb yourself but that's not even what she's going for. She's out looking for a replacement-boyfriend.... and I'm supposed to believe that she loves Ren and is broken up about her decision?
Lol :D

I suspect Houck has never gone through a break-up in her life.

message 22: by Violet (new) - added it

Violet Little | 121 comments Berg-ulme wrote: "I... kinda liked the tree birth. In a less stupid book it could have been used to illusrate the strangeness of the other world Kelsey and Kishan are in. Don't forget the highly sensual bath scene w..."

I can't wait for the birthing tree scene !

message 23: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (new)

Violet wrote: "Berg-ulme wrote: "I... kinda liked the tree birth. In a less stupid book it could have been used to illusrate the strangeness of the other world Kelsey and Kishan are in. Don't forget the highly se..."

The birthday scene is hilarious! It's meant to be super tragic but it's impossible to read it without laughing. Just sayin'! :'D

message 24: by Casey (new)

Casey Knightly (Homer42) | 43 comments Is it tree birth like a tree giving live birth or more like eggs?
This is all I can think of:

message 25: by Elizabeth, Founder (new) - added it

Violet wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Why do you think Kelsey had to go on so many dates with boys? She means to explore other possibilities than a ancient tigerman she's known for a few hours, and I guess she's givin..."

Well, I don't know if Jason knows ( or cares, he seems to not have a personality), but Li and her have a discussion about what kind of dating they're having in chapter 4, so that's all on the level.

It seems that Kelsey's perspective on dating is this:
Keeping things "casual" means you're non-exclusive. You can have several beaux that you go on asexual, aromantic chaperoned activities like sport games, movies, musicals, D&D nights, or being a plus one at a Chinese wedding. No touching or kissing. Wrestling is okay sometimes, as long as there's no kissing. And the man must be a "gentleman", which means always paying for dates and anticipating Kelsey's every need, even before she knows she needs it, to the point of almost being psychic. What the boys get out of this, I don't know. I guess they really do enjoy the pleasure of her company.

(I actually don't think there's anything wrong with not putting out when a man pays for your meal. That would imply that the only reason men ever hang out with women is to get sex( this has been a subject of many stand-up comedy routines AND many completely serious pua/mra blogger's rants). But it would be easier for everyone if the cultural norm wasn't to expect men to pay. This whole, "Men are the ones who decide when to form a commitment, they call first, they pay, Women are the ones who decide when to give the man the gift of her body, it's totally up to her, except if she doesn't put out she is a frigid bitch" thing is weird and twisted.)

message 26: by Violet (new) - added it

Violet Little | 121 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Violet wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Why do you think Kelsey had to go on so many dates with boys? She means to explore other possibilities than a ancient tigerman she's known for a few hours, and I gu..."

This thing IS creepy and twisted and happens more or less everywhere. I don't really feel sorry for the boys if the dates don't go well, I feel sorry because they seem to be perfectly interchangeable to Kelsey, even though they are different and have their own life that she doesn't show much interest about.

Well, pragmatically, they're just a mean for her to explore herself, but I wish Houck had handled it more subtly.

message 27: by Smoking, Artist in Residence (last edited Nov 09, 2014 08:14AM) (new)

The entire dating thing made Kelsey look like a needly little bitch in my opinion.
She gets mad at a guy because he doesn't hand her his gloves because she's cold and she gets even madder when she dumps one of them and he takes it well.
That last one really annoyed me.
So, Kells... you've already established that you did in fact not want to date this guy. You're not even a little interested in him. Fine. You dump him. And he's okay with it and seems rather uninterested in you as well... and then you get all bitchy? Because he didn't want to fight for you and wasn't too sad that he lost the grand prize named Kelsey Hayes? How big of a narcissistic asshole are you, woman?
O_O It's almost like she WANTS to break these boys' hearts so that she can feel better about herself. That's sociopathic.

And scary.

message 28: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Moore (hlmoore) Silja wrote: "The entire dating thing made Kelsey look like a needly little bitch in my opinion.
She gets mad at a guy because he doesn't hand her his gloves because she's cold and she gets even madder when she..."

Kelsey, imo, would make a really interesting pseudo-villain character. Like, she's clearly not mentally stable. She's borderline sociopathic, narcissistic, demanding, has warped perceptions of what she's entitled to - if the character was in the hands of a superior author, I'd say that her neuroses were intentional and she's not supposed to be the heroine of the story, but rather the villain / antagonist. Just think of how awesome that would be! Two Indian princes fall hard in love with this white girl from America, believing she is the one to break the Curse, but little do they know... she has her own motives...