Anne Arundel County Public Library discussion

Monthly Reading Challenges > November Reading Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (last edited Nov 04, 2014 04:39PM) (new)

Tammy | 31 comments Mod
My apologies for getting this started a few days late -- how *did* that happen, anyway?

This month's challenge: Read a Book That's Been On Your TBR List for More than One Year!!

I know I probably have over 100 books on mine that fit that category. I'll make my choice and let you know -- you all do the same!

I look forward to seeing what you're reading -- and what new things I can add to my already-very-long TBR list!

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 31 comments Mod
I've chosen my book: Prairie Tale: a Memoir by Melissa Gilbert. This has been on my list since 11/30/2010 -- way longer than one year!

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber | 18 comments I realized that there are more books on my TBR list then I am capable of reading in a year, okay, two years. I picked a book that's been on my list since May 2012, Learning to Breathe. It's also been on my AACPL wish list for almost as long. I've placed my hold and await it's arrival at my local branch.

message 4: by Carol Jen (new)

Carol Jen | 18 comments Ok - I love this challenge. My book will be Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It has been on my TBR list FOREVER!I have no idea what has kept me from reading it... I keep starting it on vacations and not finishing it but I really do like what I'm reading when I read it... anyway.. Thanks for the challenge!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (viaggiatrice) | 70 comments Mod
You will love Rebecca! So good.

Is it terrible that I'm still reading the spooky story from last month's reading challenge (American Gods by Neil Gaiman), but it applies to this month too?

I need more reading time!

message 6: by Kelly (last edited Nov 05, 2014 01:14PM) (new)

Kelly I really enjoyed American Gods; I'd love to hear your thoughts when you're done!

I'm going to see if I can finally get my hands on The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones; if not I think I may go Neil Gaiman, too! Still haven't read The Ocean at the End of the Lane, though I did read the first chapter--it came as a sample after 'How to Talk with Girls at Parties,' the free ebook he promoted for last year's All Hallow's Read.

message 7: by Carol Jen (last edited Nov 05, 2014 03:27PM) (new)

Carol Jen | 18 comments Tammy - I think you'll like Prairie Tale and you also might like the autobiography by Alison Arngrim who played Nellie Oleson. Very different voices.

message 8: by Carol Jen (new)

Carol Jen | 18 comments I just looked and there are 153 books on my TBR list.. how will I ever read them all?!

message 9: by Eowyn (new)

Eowyn (eowynth) | 8 comments I've chosen Jane by April Lindner. I added it to my list on 11/10/2010. Carol ... Rebecca is a great read!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Just focus on one for this month! Mine has 79 books on it.

Carol wrote: "I just looked and there are 153 books on my TBR list.. how will I ever read them all?!"

message 11: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4 comments I'm FINALLY going to read I Capture the Castle. It has been on my TBR list for a decade or more!

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

That one's on my list too! And probably for just as long...

I even own a copy.

Katrina wrote: "I'm FINALLY going to read I Capture the Castle. It has been on my TBR list for a decade or more!"

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments I am reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I have so many books to choose from - I should read two! I'm interested in hearing about the books you all are reading ! I also have a book on my list that is by the grand daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I can't remember the name! Great challenge!

message 14: by Victoria (last edited Nov 10, 2014 07:33PM) (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) I think my TBR list has over 500 books on it. I may have a problem. I will read this, which I have started but did not get far and has been on my list for 3 years.
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley .

message 15: by Deana (new)

Deana Stephanie wrote: "Just focus on one for this month! Mine has 79 books on it.

Carol wrote: "I just looked and there are 153 books on my TBR list.. how will I ever read them all?!""

LOL! I have over 300...I always say I'll be dead and gone before I can finish them...

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 31 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Tammy - I think you'll like Prairie Tale and you also might like the autobiography by Alison Arngrim who played Nellie Oleson. Very different voices."

I have read that one, too. And a few others by stars of other childhood favorite shows, like Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family. Always enlightening. It's a wonder any of those kids grew up 'normal'!

message 17: by Gail (new)

Gail Schumacher | 62 comments As far as I know Laura Ingalls Wilder didn't have any grandkids, but she did have a daughter Rose Wilder Lane who wrote young adult novels/The Young Pioneers series based on her parents' early marriage.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Of course, there are books I put on my TBR list, and there are books I drop everything and READ. It's a lucky book that makes it off my TBR list, really!

message 19: by Merry (new)

Merry | 12 comments Victoria, you will love The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Flavia is so charming you will fall in love with her. And it's an easy read on top of it all!
I chose A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith. AACPL didn't have it but through the system of borrowing from other libraries I was able to get a copy from Enoch Pratt. It took me years to finally read it but it was well worth it!

message 20: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 31 comments Mod
Here we are at mid-month already! How's everyone doing on their challenge? I will admit, I'm only about a quarter of the way through Prairie Tale. I hope you're further along than that!

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane | 7 comments How did I miss this??? Yikes...so many books, so little time --maybe in 2015 I can catch up! Will take a peek at my TBR list and see what I can work on in the mean time! Need to work on my Challenge Read for 2014!! Have fun reading!

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hehehe...no comment. :)

Tammy wrote: "Here we are at mid-month already! How's everyone doing on their challenge? I will admit, I'm only about a quarter of the way through Prairie Tale. I hope you're further along than that!"

message 23: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4 comments I'm a little more than half thru with I Capture the Castle. it's a little slow but I'm enjoying it. A bit like Pride and Prejudice.

message 24: by Carol Jen (new)

Carol Jen | 18 comments I'm only about a 1/4 of the way through Rebecca too... I need more caffeine so I can stay up later reading! Or more free time :-)

message 25: by ally (new)

ally (ally_b) I'm glad I'm not alone - I too have a big long TBR list. (I blame Victoria for several titles on my list). Some of the books are physically piled up around the house, others loaded on the Kindle, and still more on a Goodreads list. In order to make it look like I'm making progress, I have broken them down into other shelves too such as "to-re-read," "I-should-read," "checked-out". One of the books I made myself "re-read" is Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It is so much better the second time around! I finished that last week and picked up Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, which I've been meaning to read for a long time! So far it's really good.

message 26: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) Who me? I'm influential? and I rarely even write reviews. I must be a good evangelist for ones I like!

(I just realized this was the AACPL group - I'm really active on the GR Books on the Nightstand Group - and surprised anyone here has an opinion on me! I never feel like I participate too much.)

And guess what, I don't really like The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I want to, but once again, I have put it down!