Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Nov 2014: Mind Games/Karma Girl > Mind Games CASTING

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Nov 04, 2014 05:33PM) (new)

Brittany (nerdyspinster) | 255 comments Maybe it's because I've been rewatching Buffy, but I picture Emma Caulfield as Justine.

description

Also, I'm thinking Michael Fassbender for Packard. He's the only actor I can think of that has red hair and can pull off the questionably moral superhero thing.

description

message 2: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Mark (glowem) | 7 comments I don't know how I ended up with this, but the only way I can picture Otto was as a comically-heavy, greasy Mario Batali. This may have played a role in why I don't like him very much.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Nov 04, 2014 07:21PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 48 comments Justine starts out blonde, then becomes brunette, so I'd like to see someone who can pull off both looks. I had Adrianne Palicki in my mind.

It's been a while since I've read the book, so I'm not sure why I had Daniel Sunjata in my head for Otto but that's who I'd pictured for some reason. His book description may be way off from what I'd pictured. I couldn't nail down anyone for Packard.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat | 27 comments I went to college with a Justine Jones, so it took me a bit to shake her face from the character. After that, I somehow got stuck on Ashley Benson for Justine.

message 5: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 39 comments I guess I'm the only one who imagined Otto as really hot, other than the fact he wears a beret. I was thinking of telenovela actor Mario Cimarro the whole time. Here's a link to a pic, I don't know how to html in a picture like the whiz kids above: https://twitter.com/AmazingSDJ/status...

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 39 comments Brittany wrote: "
Also, I'm thinking Michael Fassbender for Packard."

Yes, yes and yes.

message 7: by Miya (new)

Miya (nursethalia) Justine:
Natalie Dormer. I know someone always picks her for every book, but this is the first time I've mentally cast her, and for some reason she immediately popped into my head for this one.

Look, she can do blonde and brunette!

Here she is thinking about Packard:

Packard:
Aidan Turner. Because he's always the first person I go to when people talk about a dude having curly hair.

Drinking Justine's coffee, the dope:

Being all broody and shit.

Cubby:
Sebastian Stan. I could totally picture him during that early cute/hot scene while he's touching Justine during the traffic stop. Yum.

Being cute:

More hotness:

His reaction when Justine wants him to drive her to the ER:

Shelby:
I have no idea who this is, but I gave her a chipped tooth in Photoshop and she's still gorgeous. Just add 1 tsp. Russian accent and voila!

Carter
The guy cosplaying as Robert Lutece in this gif. Yes it's kind of a weird casting option, I don't know why it popped into my head, don't judge me.

message 8: by Orange (new)

Orange | 56 comments •Emily Blunt as Justine,

•Sean Astin as Cubby (boyfriend named Cubby and the first words to describe him are "all dimples" Forever after the word Chubby is burned into my mind)

•Matt Bomer as Packard

•Justin Theroux as Otto

I

message 9: by Miya (new)

Miya (nursethalia) Creepy Smile Guy as Otto.

I kid, I kid!

message 10: by Miya (new)

Miya (nursethalia) Seriously though, here's Otto:

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 69 comments I guess I didn't have as hard of a time thinking of Otto as hot, I was picturing Antonio Bendaras, I figured he was a guy who could pull of a Che Guevara style beret.
description

As a grown up nemesis Hinji I was picturing Sendhil Ramamurthy so....
description

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 266 comments Here is an interview where the author does casting!
http://darklyreading.blogspot.com/201...

message 13: by Tiffany (last edited Nov 07, 2014 05:15PM) (new)

Tiffany How about our own Felicia D. as Justine? Her brand of breathy neuroticism, sweet intentions and goofy charm is kinda perfect.

description

As Otto: how about Holt McCallany? He's got that kind of thuggish, quasi stone-mason-y look to him, like he's etched out of granite.

description

And yeah, Michael Fassbender as the doomed, duplicitous, lethally sexy Packard.

description

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Crane-rosset | 104 comments I'm always up for more Bucky! :)

message 15: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Mintz | 19 comments I keep picturing Justine as clumsy and awkward, which makes me go to Alicia Silverstone in Legally Blonde. For Packard, I have Tom Hardy (he has the meaty nose and big lips, although he might be too built). Cubby seems like a Jared Padelecki type to me. For Shelby (I love her), I couldn't get Ksenia Solo's voice out of my head.

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Mintz | 19 comments Packard and the Disillusionists:

photo gru-and-the-minions-in-the-tunnel_zps5946759c.jpg

message 17: by Xanthi (new)

Xanthi | 52 comments Miya wrote: "Seriously though, here's Otto:

"

HAHAHAHAHAH
Good one!

message 18: by Xanthi (last edited Nov 09, 2014 08:41AM) (new)

Xanthi | 52 comments Well, Aiden Turner is also the first person that comes to my mind when I read about curly haired men *sigh" and based on his Being Human character he could be a great Packard

However, I have to agree that Michael Fassbender is actually ideal.

Imagine as his character in Hex...

For Justine I couldn't bring anyone to mind while she was blonde but once she turned brunette then Nina Dobrev came to mind.

Otto was tricky. As mentioned previously and in the general book discussion, I couldn't imagine him as sexy. Probably tv series with older police chiefs have destroyed me. However, since I have been watching Continuum recently, Victor Webster is a great Otto in my head.
The beret destroys it though...

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 1 comments I'm listening to the audiobook version, so my mental images are a little skewed. For example, the narrator sounds a little like Jane Lynch to me. So, I keep picturing her with long hair.

The narrator also uses a Scottish accent for Packard. I know that Aidan Turner is Irish, but he just looks so perfect! So, I'll agree with the above suggestion.

As for Otto... the only person I could picture through the whole thing:

description

Dave Bautista!

message 20: by Katie (last edited Nov 10, 2014 06:29PM) (new)

Katie (theonceandfuturekiki) | 29 comments Only 50 pages in, so some of these might change.

But Justine was pretty quickly Brit Marling to me.

Because she is a brilliant actress and the queen of my everything. And she can do brunette, too.

I agree with whoever said Tom Hardy as Packard.

Cubby is Ryan Kwanten

And Shelby just made me think of Tatiana Maslany as a less crazy Helena on Orphan Black.

message 21: by Miya (new)

Miya (nursethalia) Kelly wrote: "Dave Bautista!"

Ha, he's actually who I pictured as Helmut!

message 22: by Miya (new)

Miya (nursethalia) I initially pictured Otto as Lou Diamond Phillips, but that was before I knew Otto was going to be a love interest. The image was kind of stuck by then, though. Nothing against Phillips, I just never imagined I'd ever picture him having sex in a pool while wearing a beret. Admittedly he does look pretty nice in this pic, though...

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 15 comments The only casting I have imagined so far is Emma Stone or Sandra Bullock (circa The Net) as Justine.

I'm having a really tough time imagining Packard. But Dave Bautista as Helmut is a GREAT call!

M

message 24: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments I love a man with a big damaged nose, as Packared was described.

I've been picturing Eric Balfour from Haven.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Er...

message 25: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Miya wrote: "Creepy Smile Guy as Otto.

I kid, I kid!"

Love him!

message 26: by Somethingblue (new)

Somethingblue | 33 comments Miya wrote: "I initially pictured Otto as Lou Diamond Phillips, but that was before I knew Otto was going to be a love interest. The image was kind of stuck by then, though. Nothing against Phillips, I just nev..."

"Nothing against Phillips, I just never imagined I'd ever picture him having sex in a pool while wearing a beret"

HAHAHA! Oh this cracked me up!

The hardest part for me is that I never really picture any stars when I read books. They are very distinct and have their own specific look in my mind's eye. Although when I can't 'see' someone clearly, it helps when other people make suggestions and then I can enjoy the character more. Otto is hard for me to get into.

message 27: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments So what do you guys think "medium pretty" means? Is that b/w a one and a 10? Or, more like a seven or eight?

I could see Jennifer Laurence as Justine it it's the latter.

message 28: by Liangelus (new)

Liangelus (goodreadscomliangelus) | 12 comments I'm still having trouble with Justine, maybe just insert popular actress and that'll work for me.

I'm jumping on board the Tom Hardy as Packard train because I think Fassbender is just a little bit too old.

I wouldn't say no to Victor Webster as Otto, but now I can't help but see Creepy Smile Guy! Nice one Miya, LOLing so hard at that!!

And as soon as I read Natalie's post, Ksenia Solo slid straight into place as Shelby for me...too perfect!

The only other I have to offer is Taylor Kitsch (ala Gambit in Xmen Origins: Wolverine) as Simon.

http://br.web.img3.acsta.net/r_640_60...

message 29: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments I don't usually get into casting but earlier in the month I think on Twitter, someone tweeted a picture of Felicia's adorable dog Cubby as Cubby and it was all I could think of the entire time I read the book.

But now that I've read these castings, I do love Sebastian Stan for Cubby!

message 30: by Miya (new)

Miya (nursethalia) Whitney wrote: "I don't usually get into casting but earlier in the month I think on Twitter, someone tweeted a picture of Felicia's adorable dog Cubby as Cubby and it was all I could think of the entire time I read the book. But now that I've read these castings, I do love Sebastian Stan for Cubby!
"

This cracked me up, because I'm the one who suggested Sebastian Stan AND made the tweet about Justine having the delusion that she was dating Felicia's handsome Cubbykins XD (@nursethalia)

message 31: by Miya (new)

Miya (nursethalia) Lian wrote: "And as soon as I read Natalie's post, Ksenia Solo slid straight into place as Shelby for me...too perfect!"

There's a character in the second book named Ez who I pictured as Ksenia!

message 32: by Miya (new)

Miya (nursethalia) Lian wrote: "now I can't help but see Creepy Smile Guy! Nice one Miya, LOLing so hard at that!!"

The joke totally came back to bite me in the ass, because I continued with the series and Creepy Smile Guy kept initially popping into my head whenever Otto entered a scene and I had to manually force myself to reimagine him as someone else each time! Curse me and my brain.

message 33: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments Miya wrote: "Whitney wrote: "I don't usually get into casting but earlier in the month I think on Twitter, someone tweeted a picture of Felicia's adorable dog Cubby as Cubby and it was all I could think of the ..."

Haha that is awesome! Totally did not even realize that!

message 34: by Wynn (new)

Wynn | 5 comments I was stumped on casting Otto, but watching Fleming I think Dominic Cooper would be a perfect Otto. I like Emily Blunt for Justine. And Michael Fassbender would be a great Packard.

message 35: by Liangelus (new)

Liangelus (goodreadscomliangelus) | 12 comments Haha, luckily I had read all of the books in the series before I read your comment Miya, so now I can look back fondly and insert Creepy Smile Guy whenever I think of Otto.

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace | 3 comments I rationalized Justine's crush on Otto in the first part of the book by visualizing him as Pedro Pascal.

I think he could rock a beret.

message 37: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Grace wrote: "I rationalized Justine's crush on Otto in the first part of the book by visualizing him as Pedro Pascal.

I think he could rock a beret."

Good choice. I think he'd look like Che Guevara in a beret! (no bad thing)

message 38: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 39 comments Grace wrote: "I rationalized Justine's crush on Otto in the first part of the book by visualizing him as Pedro Pascal.

I think he could rock a beret."

As a Game of Thrones fan, I may never be able to look at Pedro Pascal the same ever again. Sigh.

message 39: by Xanthi (new)

Xanthi | 52 comments Pedro Pascal! Yes that is an excellent choice! /re-imagining_sex_scenes :::)

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 30 comments For some reason I just kept seeing Justine as Kiala. I was confused why my brain was doing this at the beginning because she was blonde, but as soon as she went brunette it was all Kiala.

The other characters gave me some trouble. I didn't realise Otto was going to be an actual sex friend at the beginning, because I was imagining him as kind of older and a bit skeezy for a lot of it. I didn't have any sort of vision of Packard the entire time. For Shelby I was picturing a version of someone I actually know because she is Russian. And for Cubby I kept thinking about Felicia's dog (glad I was not the only one). Definitely someone super generic good looking for Cubby, though.

So basically other than casting Kiala as Justine I had difficulties with this one.

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments I really like the idea of Natalie Dormer playing Justine! I totally pictured Aiden Turner as Packard too! I love me some Michael Fassbender but he's a bit old for the part. Hearing other people's image of Otto helps because with that damn silly beret, he became a joke to me and therefore rendered completely not sexy in my mind. She should have given him a fedora!

message 42: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Miya wrote: "Seriously though, here's Otto:

"

So hot!

message 43: by Frakki (last edited Nov 24, 2014 08:29PM) (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments I got Natalie Dormer confused with Emily Kinney who plays Beth on Walking Dead. Both are how I pictured Justine.

Aiden Turner has the charm and sex appeal for Packard, if only he had a nice broken nose.

I've stared picturing The Rock as Otto.

message 44: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 5 comments The Perfect Packard :
description

Michael Fassbender

Simon: description

Cillian Murphy

Justine: description

Niomi Watts

Shelby: description

Rooney Mara

Silver Widow: description

Kelly Carlson

Otto Sanchez: description

Oscar Isaac

message 45: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Oscar Isaac = Yum

message 46: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 15 comments love the idea of Pedro Pascal as Otto. As Packard, I kept seeing Joshua Homme. yum!

message 47: by Neohgirl (new)

Neohgirl | 68 comments Stacia (the 2010 club) wrote: "Justine starts out blonde, then becomes brunette, so I'd like to see someone who can pull off both looks. I had Adrianne Palicki in my mind.

In the blond example you gave, she looks like the Silver Widow *_*

message 48: by Neohgirl (new)

Neohgirl | 68 comments For
Justine: Autumn Reeser
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1032208/?r...

Packard: Ryan McPartlin
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0574131/?r...

Shelby - I like Ksenia Solo too

Otto: Couldn't get an NFL commentator out of my head:
https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-s...

message 49: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Neohgirl wrote: "For
Justine: Autumn Reeser
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1032208/?r...

Packard: Ryan McPartlin
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0574131/?r...

Shelby - I like Ksenia Solo too

Otto: Cou..."

Funny - I can actually see Captain Awesome as Cubby. Ryan McPartlin plays slightly dumb so well.