Fairy Tales Eclectic discussion

News, Screen, Music & Art > Are Fairy Tales Morality Tales?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments This is an interesting article. There is a LOT here.

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/8656...

This is the second article I've read in about a month that discusses fairy tales as morality tales. In the article it says that "morality became a central theme in fairy tales around the 19th century." But I don't see the highest function of fairy tales as "morality" tales. I see them as "tales of survival."

How do you survive the dark forces that come your way? Usually, with wit, experience, and a little bit of help from your friends.

The important lesson: That the challenges, complexities, and obstacles in a life can be mastered and overcome.

Kind of irks me when fairy tales are reduced to "morality tales." heehee

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 254 comments Although some of the fairy tales do contain a moral lesson, I would not classify them as "morality tales". Morality tales are fables, which is an entirely different genre (one which I happen to love). I agree with your description of "tales of survival" They all involve overcoming obstacles, usually of a magical nature, and the good ones always show that even when presented with horrible circumstances, a persevering, optimistic nature can not be defeated.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Lisa wrote: "Although some of the fairy tales do contain a moral lesson, I would not classify them as "morality tales". Morality tales are fables, which is an entirely different genre (one which I happen to lov..."

I agree too, on the fables. I've always thought of them as morality tales, too.