Ask Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman discussion

Book Recommendations > Favorite Amanda Palmer lyrics?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ami (new)

Ami (amiwithani) | 6 comments Mod
OK, so this is Goodreads and not Goodsongs--but we all know some lyrics can be a kind of poetry. Share your favorite songs here, or if there's a book you always think of when listening to a particular song, share that as well!

message 2: by D. (new)

D.  (sonofspinoza) "Have to Drive" is my favorite of Amanda's songs!

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (needmoreshelves) Well, my current favorite is Dear Daily Mail - Up Yours!

But I've also always loved Coin Operated Boy.

message 4: by Scoozer (new)

Scoozer While I loved "Dear Daily Mail-Up Yours" quite a lot, my favorite is "In My Mind."

message 5: by Rob Secundus (new)

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) If I enjoyed Theater is Evil and 8in8, but am otherwise totally ignorant of Ms. Palmer's discography, where would people suggest I go next?

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin Schorah (justinschorah) | 2 comments "Another Year" has always been a favorite of mine. It might have something to do with the fact that I was 26 when I heard it for the first time ...

message 7: by Nikos (new)

Nikos Dunno (dunnogr) | 5 comments Rob Secundus wrote: "If I enjoyed Theater is Evil and 8in8, but am otherwise totally ignorant of Ms. Palmer's discography, where would people suggest I go next?"

Definitely give "Who Killed Amanda Palmer" a listen. It's her first solo release after the Dresden Dolls hiatus, and it's amazing. Even after so many years, she still includes songs from this album on her setlists. Astronaut and Runs in the Family are my absolute fave ones.

message 8: by Jeremy (last edited Nov 09, 2014 08:11AM) (new)

Jeremy | 2 comments "Astronaut" was my favorite for a long, long time until Theatre is Evil came out. Now it's "The Bed Song."

"All the money in the world/Won't buy a bed so big and wide
To guarantee that you won't accidentally touch me in the night"

message 9: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamarareadsbooks) | 3 comments Bigger on the Inside. And Judy Blume. Soundtracks to my soul.

message 10: by Nikos (new)

Nikos Dunno (dunnogr) | 5 comments "because the thing about things
is that they can start meaning things nobody actually said
and if you’re not allowed to love people alive
then you learn how to love people dead"

-The Thing About Things

message 11: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseanorma) | 2 comments I love "Half Jack" but one of my favorite lines is from "Good Day". For me "Half Jack" is about the duality of the male and female that resides in all of us, and in "Good Day" I love the line that reads "I'd rather be a bitch than be an ordinary broken heart." I feel it speaks to the walls that women sometimes feel they need to put up to not seem overly emotional or hysterical, which they are often portrayed as being after a break up.

I think all of her albums are my favorite album. Each time I listen to one I think "Oh, this one is the best one!" but unlike other artists where I can rank the albums in semi-final order, I just can't. Everything by the Dresden Dolls is amazing, and everything since is as well, and they are all unique in individual ways, and many of them have helped me through incredibly difficult times.

message 12: by Leonardo (new)

Leonardo (a_blazing_world) | 1 comments This is a difficult choice, but I will go for "Vegemite". I actually love marmite/vegemite, but hearing Amanda sing about it makes me laugh and cry at the same time... and even hate the stuff for a few minutes.

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Amor M. (tamorm) | 1 comments The perfect fit. It is a master piece

message 14: by Sean M. (new)

Sean M. (countorlok22) | 3 comments In no particular order....
"Half-Jack", "Coin-Operated Boy", "Girl Anachronism", "Astronaut: A Short History of Nearly Nothing", "Runs in the Family", "Strength Through Music", "Guitar Hero", "Sex Changes", "Delilah", "Sing", "Judy Blume", "Ukulele Anthem", "Map of Tasmania", "Vegemite", "Evelyn Evelyn", "Sandy Fishnets", "Elephant Elephant", "The Killing Type", "Grown Man Cry", "Do It with a Rockstar", "Want It Back", "Smile (Pictures or It Didn't Happen)", "A Mother's Confession", and "Dear Daily Mail".

message 15: by Sean M. (new)

Sean M. (countorlok22) | 3 comments Rob Secundus wrote: "If I enjoyed Theater is Evil and 8in8, but am otherwise totally ignorant of Ms. Palmer's discography, where would people suggest I go next?"

"Evelyn Evelyn" is the self-titled debut of Amanda Palmer and Jason Webley's brilliant concept band. I cannot recommend it enough. It's full to the brim with dark humour, witty double entendres, and one of the best narratives of any concept album. The first Dresden Dolls album and "Who Killed Amanda Palmer?" would also be highly recommended.