Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Bold/Italic issues again?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) | 18 comments Hey, Otis...just noticed another random problem that I can't figure out how to fix...

I was looking at this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39...

And I noticed that the whole description was in bold & italics...so I went in to edit and fix it up, but when I looked, the code was correct. I cleaned it up and saved it, but it's still showing the entire description in bold and italics.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44207 comments Mod
Looks like it might be because the open/close tags are on opposite sides of the "more."

message 3: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) | 18 comments If they end after the "more" usually it just doesn't bold or italic the text...but maybe in an attempt to fix that, this is the result?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Likely so.

Michael?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Look at the events. I wonder if that's related . . .

message 6: by John (new)

John (jfcannon) | 30 comments It does seem to be related to the "more" for some reason. I've fixed it with a hack that breaks the "bold/italics" into two parts, the first ending immediately before the "more" and the second beginning immediately after.

message 7: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 189 comments I see it, too. Just added the description for this book and it looks fine until click on the "More."

I'm using the latest FF, by the way.

message 8: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 189 comments On the other hand, I just added a description for this book and it works fine.

message 9: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited Mar 18, 2008 12:17PM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments It looks like the problem is that the javascript which opens up the popup window with the full description happens to be nested within the italic (or bold) within the shortened description so the popup is inheriting the font choices from the parent spot where the script is initialized.

I believe the solution would be to edit the style sheet so that the popup window first has all of its font settings reset (e.g., font-style: normal; font-weight: normal) and therefore overrides any font settings which happen to come from the mini-description.

message 10: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Gotcha - that description was broken because there wasn't a closing i or b tag. We will fix that in the next release!

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

All better. :)