NYRB Classics discussion

Other NYRB Series > NYRB Poets

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
In April 2013, NYRB started a new line of poetry books.

Here are the available titles:

-An Invitation for Me to Think, by Alexander Vvedensky

-Miguel Hernandez

-The Interior Landscape, by A.K. Ramanujan

-Pierre Reverdy

-Love Sonnets and Elegies, by Louise Labe

-Nothing More to Lose, by Najwan Darwish

-Forthcoming-

-Cat Town, by Sakaturo Hagiwara

-Selected Poems by Silvina Ocampo

-Drum-Taps: The Complete 1865 Edition, by Walt Whitman

-Alive: New and Selected Poems, by Elizabeth Willis

message 2: by Lois (last edited Nov 27, 2014 06:11PM) (new)

Lois (literanarchy) | 113 comments I've been very interested in reading some of this series for a while, but have yet to find the time/motivation to do so. I'd be keen to try making a couple of these side-reads sometime next year, if anyone else is interested?

message 3: by Louise (last edited Dec 23, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Updating the NYRB Poets list:

Selected Poems of Miguel Hernández by Miguel Hernández, selected and translated by Don Share.
Publication Date: April 2, 2013

An Invitation for Me to Think: Selected Poems by Alexander Vvedensky, edited and translated from the Russian by Eugene Ostashevsky, additional translation by Matvei Yankelevich.
Publication Date: April 2, 2013

Pierre Reverdy by Pierre Reverdy, edited by Mary Ann Caws.
Publication Date: October 1, 2013

The Interior Landscape: Classical Tamil Love Poems Edited and translated from the Tamil by A. K. Ramanujan.
Publication Date: January 14, 2014

Love Sonnets and Elegies by Louise Labe, preface by Karin Lessing, edited and translated from the French by Richard Sieburth.
Publication Date: April 8, 2014

Nothing More to Lose by Najwan Darwish, translated from the Arabic by Kareem James Abu-Zeid.
Publication Date: April 29, 2014

Cat Town: Selected Poems by Sakutarō Hagiwara, translated from the Japanese by Hiroaki Sato.
Publication Date: November 11, 2014

Silvina Ocampo by Silvina Ocampo, a new translation from the Spanish by Jason Weiss.
Publication Date: January 27, 2015

Drum-Taps: The Complete 1865 Edition by Walt Whitman, edited and with an introduction by Lawrence Kramer.
Publication Date: April 7, 2015

Alive: New and Selected Poems by Elizabeth Willis.
Publication Date: April 14, 2015

Zone: Selected Poems by Guillaume Apollinaire, introduction by Peter Read, selected and translated from the French by Ron Padgett.
Publication Date: November 24, 2015

Voronezh Notebooks by Osip Mandelstam, translated from the Russian and with an introduction by Andrew Davis.
Publication Date: January 5, 2016

The White Stones by J. H. Prynne, introduction by Peter Gizzi.
Publication Date: April 19, 2016

Cinepoems and Others by Benjamin Fondane, edited and with an introduction by Leonard Schwartz.
Publication Date: May 17, 2016

Collected Poems 1944–1979 by Kingsley Amis, introduction by Clive James.
Publication Date: June 21, 2016

The New Life by Dante Alighieri, translated from the classical Italian and with an introduction by Dante Gabriel Rossetti, preface by Michael Palmer.
Publication Date: November 1, 2016

Berlin-Hamlet by Szilárd Borbély, translated from the Hungarian by Ottilie Mulzet.
Publication Date: November 15, 2016

The Pirate Who Does Not Know the Value of Pi
by Eugene Ostashevsky.
Publication Date: March 14, 2017

Collected Poems by Elise Partridge.
Publication Date: March 21, 2017

Austerity Measures: The New Greek Poetry by Karen Van Dyck.
Publication Date: March 28, 2017

Our Life Grows by Ryszard Krynicki, translated from the Polish by Alissa Valles, afterword by Adam Michnik.
Publication Date: November 14, 2017

Drafts, Fragments, and Poems: The Complete Poetry by Joan Murray, preface by John Ashbery, edited by Farnoosh Fathi.
Publication Date: February 6, 2018

A Certain Plume by Henri Michaux, a new translation from the French and with an afterword by Richard Sieburth, preface by Lawrence Durrell.
Publication Date: May 22, 2018

Li Shangyin by Li Shangyin, edited and newly translated from the Chinese by Chloe Garcia Roberts, with additional translations by A.C. Graham and Lucas Klein.
Publication Date: July 31, 2018

W.S. Graham: Selected Poems by W.S. Graham, selected and with an introduction by Michael Hofmann.
Publication Date: November 13, 2018

Inri by Raúl Zurita, translated from the Spanish by William Rowe, preface by Norma Cole.
Publication Date: December 11, 2018

message 4: by Pillsonista (new)

Pillsonista | 17 comments Lois wrote: "I've been very interested in reading some of this series for a while, but have yet to find the time/motivation to do so. I'd be keen to try making a couple of these side-reads sometime next year, i..."

I would love that. I own every one in the series, so access will be no problem for me.

message 5: by Louise (new)

I don't read as much poetry as I should, so I'd be willing to join. If there is enough interest perhaps we can start a poetry book club. Thoughts and/or ideas of how to do it?

message 6: by Trevor (new)

I also have them all and would like a readalong!

message 7: by Louise (new)

I’m trying to think how we can do this. One poetry book per month? One poetry book every 3 months? 6 months? One poetry book per year? How feasible is it to discuss an entire book of poetry? Should we break it down to one poem per week? Per month? Go through the entire collection one poem at a time before moving onto the next collection? Do I need to do another poll?

message 8: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments I love words: essays, speeches, and novels so I should love poetry, but I don’t. I’m don’t know why, maybe I need to read more poetry to discover a style I like.

message 9: by Louise (new)

Walt Whitman's Drum-Taps: The Complete 1865 Edition is only $5.77 Can at Amazon.ca right now.

https://www.amazon.ca/Drum-Taps-Compl...

message 10: by Trevor (new)

I read Raúl Zurita's INRI last night, and it was exceptional! I highly recommend it. I'm hoping to post a review of it later this week, and I'll link to that here for any interested in more.

message 11: by Trevor (new)

I'm totally up to do a group read on another of these, if anyone cares to join. I have a few I'm eying, but happy to consider others. If I pull one out, I'll just post here and see if anyone cares to read along.

But go read INRI!

message 12: by Lois (new)

Lois (literanarchy) | 113 comments I’m still keen! I don’t have all of them yet but happy to buy. Not sure how many are in the series but we could try doing them as a bi-monthly side read until we run out?

message 13: by Lois (new)

Lois (literanarchy) | 113 comments Sorry, missed your post Louise. I actually quite like the idea of doing one poem at a time, rather than a whole collection, but it does seem logistically challenging ... perhaps a poll would be a good idea!

message 14: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments I have yet to develop an appreciation for poetry.