50 books to read before you die discussion

Emma
This topic is about Emma

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (kaligurl_7) | 371 comments Novembers book read is Emma. Enjoy!

Sophie | 199 comments One of the reasons I nominated Emma was because I recently finished my first Jane Austen novel Northanger Abbey and really loved it. Has anyone read this, Northanger Abbey or any of Jane Austen's other novels?

Christine I've read all of Jane Austin's novels and if you liked Northanger Abbey you will love Emma.

Sophie | 199 comments Hopefully. :)

Linda | 85 comments I've read all of Jane Austen's works except for Northanger Abbey, which I have waiting in the TBR pile. Unfortunately I read Emma when I was having a hard time focusing on whatever I was reading at the time so it took me forever to get through Emma and consequently I didn't really enjoy it. It deserves a reread one of these days.

Sophie | 199 comments I started Emma yesterday and as I'm reading a few books with different groups this month I decided to read about 100 pages/15 chapters of Emma a week. I'm already falling in love with Jane Austen all over again.

Reka | 3 comments I love Jane Austen's books, but the Emma wasn't my taste. I read it a few years ago so maybe I will give a new chance.

Sophie | 199 comments I'm about 100 pages in and really, really enjoying it. I love the character building in classics. Anyone else going to read this, this month?

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments I read this two years ago. It's the only Austen that I haven't reread. Emma drove me crazy!
Incidentally, there's a Vlog on you-tube called Emma Approved, that was pretty good.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Sophie, I loved Northanger Abbey. My favorite is Persuasion, with Mansfield Park as a close second. Austen creates characters that breathe.

Linda Northanger Abbey is hilarious, Austen's wit catches you repeatedly

Karlyne Landrum Sophie wrote: "I'm about 100 pages in and really, really enjoying it. I love the character building in classics. Anyone else going to read this, this month?"

Ok, Sophie, I'm in! I'll start tomorrow!

Sophie | 199 comments Yay!!!

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 71 comments I didn't enjoy Northanger Abbey as much as I did P&P. I am looking forward to another great book from Miss Austin :)

Karlyne Landrum I got started this morning and on the second page I found this, speaking of Emma and Miss Taylor's relationship: [she was} "one to whom she could speak every thought as it arose". No wonder Emma finds herself bored without her! Aren't the best friends those we speak freely with?

Karlyne Landrum For any of you first-time readers, I have to say that although Emma is... awfully unlikable in the beginning of the book (ok, for quite a while), persevere! It's a book about growth, and that's a good thing.

Sophie | 199 comments I know it says everywhere that Emma is unlikeable but I didn't find her such. She has her faults, yes, but I quite liked her.

Karlyne Landrum I think what redeems her personality is that she's so unaware. She's not trying to deliberately be a snob, or mean or manipulative,but, oh, my! sometimes she is! And, I think that if we were meeting her in person, we wouldn't see the faults as quickly.

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments I'm rereading this. And although Im enjoying it more I have issues.
The fact that Emma is oblivious to the damage she does makes her worse in my opinion, a lack of empathy is a dangerous thing.
Secondly, I find Knightley moulding Emma into the right type of woman a tad creepy.

Karlyne Landrum Lisa wrote: "I'm rereading this. And although Im enjoying it more I have issues.
The fact that Emma is oblivious to the damage she does makes her worse in my opinion, a lack of empathy is a dangerous thing.
Sec..."

She does lose her obliviousness as the book moves along, and as she does, she starts being more caring and careful. I think that's why I like Emma; her behavior changes as her heart does!

As far as Knightley, I think he loves Emma so much that he can't bear that she's being a complete jerk! I think he wants her to retain all of her personality quirks while still improving her character and becoming an admirable woman.

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Although Emma does improve, I still struggle with her. As it is an Austen novel, I'm sure that the improvement will be sustained.

Karlyne Landrum I like Emma more with every re-read simply because I do believe that she'll keep improving!

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments In spite of the fact that I am not a great fan of Emma herself; I love how well written the minor characters are: her father, the Knightley's, Jane, Harriet, Miss Bates.
Love Miss Bates!
Austen was talented at creating memorable supporting characters.

Karlyne Landrum Lisa wrote: "In spite of the fact that I am not a great fan of Emma herself; I love how well written the minor characters are: her father, the Knightley's, Jane, Harriet, Miss Bates.
Love Miss Bates!
Austen was..."

She was the Frank Capra of the written word! (Or was he the Jane Austen of film?)

Sophie | 199 comments I'm currently reading this book again and though I'm taking my sweet time with it (reading other things at the same time) I am loving it so much. When I first read this book I had only read Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Now I've read all 6 novels and some other short stuff and am a total Austen fangirl. At the moment Pride and Prejudice is my favourite, it is after all possibly my favourite book of all time, but they are all so good.

It's interesting to read people's thoughts on the romance in this one. I was more focused, the first time I read it, on (view spoiler) I'm interested this time to see whether I notice the attraction any earlier now I'm comfortable (aka in love) with Austen's writing and can focus more on the story AND what my thoughts on the actual relationship are.

I enjoyed reading the comments of this post...
https://sarahemsley.com/2016/02/24/wh...