What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Science fiction novel about a spaceship that is alive and is powered by a candle.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grey (new)

Grey | 4 comments Science fiction novel about a spaceship that is alive and is powered by a candle. 1960's-1970's

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments A burning candle?

Regular size?

Is it the heat that powers this "alive" ship, or?

Is the ship biological (resins, epoxies or something) or metal (AI or bio-metal)?

What else do you recall about this novel?

message 3: by Grey (last edited Nov 04, 2014 11:58AM) (new)

Grey | 4 comments It is a typical sized candle. The ship is alive but not in the sense that it directly communicates with the captain. Yes the ship is metal. The book was more on the philosophical side than action. It seems that the setting was really dark, the captain may have been going crazy. He was the only one on board. I also think there was a ghost on the ship that communicated with the candle. I think the ghost is the captains wife.

message 4: by Grey (new)

Grey | 4 comments bump

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments Hi, Grey. Wanted to let you know that the rules/customs of this forum are that we wait about a month between bumps, so that people aren't annoyingly churning their posts - gives people who don't check in that often a chance to find it, without getting a ton of bump messages to read thru.

Btw, Mods - that rule/custom isn't easily findable, because (again) the intro stuff should be re-written. There's little discussion on folders, etc, etc. (Now We'll Never Know, etc).

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments Would you say this was YA or more aimed at adults? Remember anything about how long the book was? Anything about how a single candle could possily power a giant spaceship? Was the captain the only person on the ship or were there others? Was he going crazy from being alone, or some other reason?

message 7: by Grey (new)

Grey | 4 comments I believe it was aimed at adults because it dealt with the topic of death and depression, but I would not say it was rated R. It was about 175 pages, paperback. Captain was the only one on the ship besides a ghost (his wife), and the candle. Yes he was going crazy. I am not sure how the candle powered the ship but I know that he had to keep the candle lit at all cost.

message 8: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Nov 08, 2014 10:42AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments Hmm, so the candle could've been a memorial thing / that he had to keep lit for his sanity (out of a sense of devotion)? Or was it - for sure - powering the ship? (even though that was never explained?)

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Grey, are you still looking for this or did you find it?